“Ignore the reviews try for yourself” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   330 East Palace Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #32 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Denver, Colorado
“Ignore the reviews try for yourself”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

I have come to Santa Fe for years and always wanted to stay here. Once it became a SPG I booked. I then read the reviews and was really worried but am so glad I went ahead with the trip. As soon as I booked we had calls from the concierge to help with anything and the room was fantastic. The checkin person was a little off but i think she was just tired. The valet people were great.

Bottom line-it is still one of the better hotels in Santa Fe.

Stayed July 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (205)
WA State
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this substandard hotel a few blocks from La Plaza. Apparently, in Mid-May, the hotel became not only a Starwood Hotel, but a Luxury Collection hotel within Starwood. Believe me, it is neither. It is more like a 1957 Howard Johnson’s hotel on pretty grounds. Yes, the grounds are pretty and the common rooms (lobby, restaurant) feature many pieces of art, befitting the location in Santa Fe. However, after that, you are in their chamber of horrors, including: A room with a dangerously unhealthy musty smell, torn, burn marked, stained 1950's style carpets, stained 20 year old leather couch, worn out furniture--none matching. The inner courtyards had trash, cigarette butts, dirty plastic cups rolling around outside the door of your unit and unswept debris. Inadequate bathroom size and amenities, and I can go on and on from there. Of course, we asked to be switched from that room, but the new room wasn’t much better, as we exchanged that musty smell for a dangerously unhealthy creosote-like smell from the quaint Keva fireplace. And, remember, these rooms were one bedroom suites, not the ‘average’ room. Who knows how bad the ‘average’ room might be? The plumbing and air conditioning worked fine but there was a mouse dropping on the bathroom floor and tile that looked suspiciously unclean and old. All in all, my recommendation is plain: Do not be fooled by the Luxury Collection moniker or the pretty grounds. You can’t put lipstick on a pig, and this place reminded me of a sty. And, as a final indignation, they really try to mirror a ‘roach hotel’ by making it quite difficult (long lines) at the registration desk. You can check in, but it is really tough to check out. There were two people (not fast) at the check out desk and one not busy at all concierge across from them. The restaurant food was some of the worst we had while staying in Santa Fe. The mesquite chicken tasted like it was boiled with no spices. Bland bland bland. STAY AWAY!

Room Tip: "To get a good room, DON'T STAY HERE!"
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 27, 2014
Dear ActiveTraveler1,

Thank you for the time to do a review. I apologies for the items you experienced during your stay with us. If it is possible I would like to touch base with you personally. I have included my number below and would appreciate any time you might be able to give me to review this experience.

At your service,

Ben Tutt
(505)-954-9610
Miami Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

I am a frequent guest at La Posada, which I love because of its location and overall feeling. The staff is helpful, friendly and professional. The restaurant Fuego is fairly good and the bar is one of the best known bars in town.

The hotel is a few blocks from the Plaza, in a fairly quiet area across some art galleries. The rooms are all different and...... that is part of the problem. It could be a hit and miss.The price you pay for a room will not guarantee what you get, so be prepared to avoid being disappointed. I have stayed in some very lovely rooms and some other ones that are way too spartan and small. Because all the rooms are "casitas" detached front the main area of the hotel, the weather can contribute to how you feel about your overall stay. Parking is an issue and the Valet is notoriously slow. Make sure you get all your luggage out of the car when you check in, or you will find yourself waiting up to 30 minutes for the Valet to bring your car back afterwards.

The Bar is a great bar but it could be an awesome place to hang out if they would update their sound system and make the lighting a bit more intimate. The overall ambience needs to be improved. There is artwork everywhere but whether you like it or not will depend on your taste. For the last two years they seem to be stuck in some kind of "farm theme" and personally, I am getting a little tired of the cows and bunny paintings everywhere.

The grounds are beautiful and well maintained.

The hotel was recently acquired by Starwood and joined the Luxury Collection. It has a long way to go to become a true "luxury" property, but the future looks bright!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Reno, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

Hidden within the trees you find LaPosada. A historic old mansion that has been transformed into a luxury hotel with excellent staff that will attend to your every need. Be sure to inquire of staff about the history and story of the mansion. The location is terrific and walking distance to the square. Artwork, that can be purchased, covers the walls within the common areas. This property has many amenities usually found in a luxury hotel, including a conference center. Rooms vary vastly, but since there are several types, styles, and sizes, most everyone should be able to find something to suit their needs. There are a few areas that could stand updating and maintenance, but overall a nice property.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My husband and I stayed at La Posada to celebrate his 60th birthday in June 2014. The best part of our stay there was the staff. They are extremely nice, friendly, and helpful, and even wrote my husband a birthday card and delivered a bottle of wine and chocolate-covered strawberries as a gift. The grounds are lovely, however, certain areas are in need of more diligent maintenance. The second room we were booked into (more about that in a minute) had a back door that opened onto a courtyard shared by 4 other rooms. The courtyard was full of weeds, and the tables and chairs out there were dirty, as if we were not expected to even look out there, let alone spend any time out there (which we wanted to do and did, after cleaning the table ourselves and ignoring the weeds). Also the windows in our room were dirty and the floor quite uneven (which is understandable for an old adobe structure, but it needs to be attended to). The room was nicely appointed, clean, and comfortable. Comfortable bed, lots of nice fluffy towels.

We asked to be moved from our first room because it was small and dark, and the bathroom had a strong musty moldy smell. The staff was very gracious about accommodating our request and moved us to a nicer suite for no extra charge. Both rooms, however, were back behind the meeting rooms (the 200 series rooms) where the maids store their carts, and in the morning we had to wend our way through the ugly carts and chatting maids to get anywhere else on the property. Definitely a buzz killer.

The pool is saline rather than chlorine, which is nice, but the pool is rather small. The pool attendant must be the hardest working woman in Santa Fe. She is like the Energizer Bunny -- always on the go, keeping track of everyone (and there were lots of people there) and anticipating our needs for drinking water. She was constantly bringing everyone cups of ice water and refilling our cups. Again, very cheerful and friendly. The showers on the women's side of the spa need to be replaced. They just don't work well. My husband booked a massage at the spa and raved about it.

We had two lovely breakfasts (good food) on the pleasant dining patio. The lobby and common rooms are filled with the worst art (although I hear it is to some people's taste).

Before we arrived we had an issue with the accounting department because our credit card was charged twice for different amounts for our deposit. It took several days of phone calls and emails to sort it all out because there was only one person in that department who could help us. I think she might be overworked.

Overall our stay at La Posada was pleasant, and I would stay there again. The location is very convenient for walking into and around the heart of Santa Fe, yet because of the lovely grounds, the property feels secluded. Also it is very quiet. And dog friendly!

Room Tip: Don't let the staff put you in any room back behind the meeting rooms (the 200 series rooms). Th...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

We absolutely love Santa Fe and visit once or twice a year. Therefore, we have stayed many different places. When we first arrived, we had a small issue and it was taken care of promptly by Managment. We booked our room at the last minute via Hotwire.com. For those of you who book a room at La Posada via Hotwire with kids, please be aware the deal on Hotwire is not for two queen beds. It is for one queen bed with a roll away bed. Our room was entirely too small for a roll away bed. Therefore, we had to switch rooms and we were told initially we would have to pay extra for it. However, management did not charge us extra. They were amazing! The resort grounds are absolutely beautiful and it is conveniently located within walking distance to everything on the square--huge perk! The one thing I was not overly impressed with was the room. It needed to be updated. Our carpet had quite a few rough stains, mirrors had not been cleaned well and had streaks all over, shutters had been broken, bath tub reglaze/paint job was not good, the decor and bedding was okay-nothing more or less. If we had not booked via Hotwire and had booked at regular price, I would have been extremely disappointed with the room. Would I stay here again? If I booked via Hotwire for the price we paid, yes! Otherwise, I would stay elsewhere until the rooms are updated.

aarongot
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I've been a fan of La Posada for years. It was on the short list for our wedding venue 10 years ago. Although we ultimately chose the roof top at the Hudson in NYC for convenience and a host of other reasons, we visited La Posada many times over the years as my folks live in Albuquerque. It had been 5 years since we actually stayed in the hotel so we were excited for the luxury and always fantastic service.

La Posada has now recently become a Starwood Luxury Property. Usually that would be a positive indicator for me, although I rate Rock Resorts very highly as well. I think this has execution a bit scrambled.

Overall the experience was not exactly what we had come to expect from La Posada. We stayed in a two bedroom suite and it was in pretty rough shape. No views to speak of and one bathroom. It was in desperate need of a makeover. The management tried to accommodate us with another two bedroom suite but it did not pass the wife's inspection and was only made available to us at 6pm. Since we were checking out the next day the move wasn't worth it. It should be noted that this property is historical and the rooms are all very different. There are gems to found but you need to be choosy.

The service in the Staab House Bar, Fuego restaurant and pool was excellent. Super friendly and attentive. Fuego seemed to struggle a bit at times (dinner) with the volume, so I assume that they were short staffed.

Special note to the Bellhop team. You guys deliver! It always a pleasure to drive up and be taken care by the team. They get it done! Thanks guys.

Next time in Santa Fe I would be tempted to try another location as I expect more when paying what you pay for La Posada but La Posada stays on the list.

Stayed July 2014

Been to La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!