“The artsy side of Santa Fe” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   330 East Palace Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #29 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Pacifica, California
“The artsy side of Santa Fe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014

Santa Fe is a walker's town. We love the location of La Posada- two blocks from the square- but it feels secluded, even so. More than anything, I love the art in this beautiful, long-lived place. It is quirky yet luxurious, a combo that is hard to find and makes it all the more special. It doesn't overdo the Southwestern motif as some hotels do. The bar and restaurant a fabulous places to relax, with dynamic drinks. The restaurant staff is attentive and friendly. The check-in/lobby staff are warm and welcoming, especially Ann Rogers and Morgan Martino who, for us, went above and beyond for every request.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

Just finished up a stay at La Posada. We have great friends that stay here and it was a wonderful recommendation. Would stay here again based on the location being a block off canyon drive for the galleries and a block from the plaza. You don't get plaza noise and feel very secluded yet close! Grounds are very lovely as well.

Jennifer at the pool was amazing. We arrived and she had waters all ready and filled them before even empty. She hustled to get drinks. Get the mango piña colada!! One tip is to get there before noon as there are probably only 20 or so lounge chairs. Small area but perfect for relaxing. Service great at the pool.

Our main issues were around check in and the room. Seems others have mentioned this in their reviews since Starwood took over this year. We arrived at 4 and the room was not ready. First person said she would just call us because it shouldn't be too long and we were offered a first round if drinks on them. An hour went by, still no call. Went back spoke with a second check in gal who promptly upgraded us saying she hated making people wait. So that was nice! Ended up in a king suite with fireplace. Room very spacious and clean, although tiny bathroom where only one person could fit at a time. We also went to wrong room at first bc key card packet said 233, but really it was 223. Just a quick fix, but sort of showed they were rushing through. Second day water wasn't working. By the time we came back from pool it was on, but we had to run it a bit as it came out brown!! Ugh. No communication from the hotel on it to us. We took these things in stride as we were on vacation with friends without kids! But a little sloppy considering the overall quality of the hotel. Room tip..they are all different. Next time I would ask for second floor room as we were on first floor and heard every creak and squeak of the people walking above.

Afternoon art walk and wine and food hospitality great! We would definitely come back here assuming that after some time with new ownership they will work out room situations.

Also, eat at the Shed and Cafe Pasquale. Both excellent!!

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dallas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

In summary, I was beyond disappointed with La Posada (and I will not stay there again) primarily because of the lack of/limited, if any, WIFI access for me in my room (see below and see picture), poor TV reception for me in my room (see picture), what I perceived to be a lack of attention to details (safety of room, I could not get the refrigerator to work in my room, I was double billed for my 5 day stay, I saw uncovered mattresses/beds left outside in the pollen-polluted air (see picture), I saw kitchen tubs sitting on the floor of the common area ‘library’ (where original art work was displayed and for sale) catching rain water due to roof leaks and finally, my perception of the pool’s ambience (see picture). When I checked in, I was told the computer-assigned 2nd floor room was not ready. The 'receptionist' said that there was no need for me to have to wait for a clean room and that I should not have to climb stairs to a 2nd floor room anyway. So, she gave me a room on the 1st floor (rather than a 2nd floor room which for all I know may have actually had a view) that had a fireplace in the bedroom (temperature outside was 80+ degrees – I do not think a fireplace was a priority for me). So, I was placed in a 'king classic suite' room at the side or back of the hotel complex with a view of a traditional tree trunk fence and a parking lot beyond the fence belonging to what I believe was a commercial facility which was adjacent to the hotel and behind my room specifically. My bedroom window faced this ‘view’ (see picture). I found myself concerned and thinking: could someone climb the fence and break my window and rob me blind or threaten my life? So, I felt my security had a possible risk. My private patio had no view in my opinion – well, no view other than an unsecured outside closet (there was a latch on the door but it was not padlocked). The outside ‘closet’ appeared to have what I think was mechanical ‘piping’ in it and enough room for anyone to hide in it. My room’s front door had no peep hole and there were fogged windows by the door so I could not see the front door. When I asked an employee about the lack of a peep hole, I was told that ‘they’ told ‘us’ we didn’t need one. During my stay, I had 2 knocks on my door 2 evenings in a row. I opened the door one time but I refused the second time. The one time I opened the door, it was housekeeping delivering extra towels that I DID NOT request. The WIFI in my room from the time of my arrival was available from my room less than 1 hour out of the 5 days I stayed at this hotel (see picture). On the first evening, I was offered a different room by management but I could not access the hotel WIFI from that room either. I had spent the first hours in Santa Fe trying to resolve the WIFI issue – I spoke to management and the technology contractor and no one could fix it. Finally, I was told by the hotel that there was nothing that could be done. I was shocked when I heard the hotel tell me that I would just have to go outside of my room in the public areas in order to get WIFI access. I made a complaint with Starwood corporate and they offered to find me a room in another Starwood property. Unfortunately, what they discovered/told me was that Starwood had no other property in the area. (When I thought I had WIFI in my room the next morning, I contacted Starwood to say thanks. Unfortunately, my elation was short lived. As stated earlier, I maybe was able to access the hotel’s WIFI from my room for less than 1 hour from Monday evening through Friday morning.) So, I was stuck. In order to access the hotel’s WIFI, I stood outside about 6-10 feet in front of my room’s front door in public viewing - not even on my private patio. So, I spent most of my time when at the hotel outside of my room sitting on a bench - which best I could tell was the smoking area and apparently the 'drop off dirty room service dishes here' location (see pictures). As noted, I could not get my refrigerator to work in my room so I had to go to the pool to get ice for my store bought cokes. There was no mini bar in my room best I could tell. I think I have seen kiddie pool’s bigger than this hotel’s pool and I fail to see how the pool area in real life looks like the hotel’s publicity photo of the pool (see picture). One afternoon, I believe it was Thursday afternoon, I came back to my room after being gone from 12 noon until around 4:30 pm to only find that the security latch was latched inside my room. To the best of my knowledge, the only way to latch this security latch is from inside the room and I was traveling alone – in other words, no one had authority to be in my room other than housekeeping and they were not there. I called the front desk from my cell phone and waited on the bench next to the ashtray with cigarette butts for some help. (I did not want to leave my room area outside in case someone was in the room and they could leave without notice if I left the area.) It took one bellman (who came with a master entry card thinking my electronic card was not working even though I had told the hotel it was NOT the entry card that was the problem. After he realized the seriousness of this issue he said engineering would have to come solve this one. While I waited for engineering (according to my watch, I was on the bench for 30 minutes), the bell man came back to tell me that the reason the latch was secured was because it automatically latches when the electronic lock does not work. I was exhausted with worry so I just looked at him even though I knew the explanation made no sense because the electronic lock WAS working and he knew this – he had seen it himself. As I said, after 30 minutes or so according to my watch, 2 maintenance engineers arrived - one who had to ‘chisel out’ the inside latch on the inside door jamb from the outside (screwdriver and hammer-like tool was used) and one who came to replace the device once I was back inside the room. Unfortunately, the security latch was not replaced because the door jamb and the door face were not even (see picture). Whoever had installed the security latch device used a type of what to me looked like cardboard to build up the door jamb (put on top of the wooden door jamb) so the jamb’s device could be level with the door face’s device (see pictures). So, I slept that night with a security latch – but I did have the electronic key card lock operating. In summary, I think this was probably one of the worse hotel-related experiences of my life. I felt so frustrated because of the trials that presented themselves one after the other – WIFI, refrigerator, TV, security. The Asst. Manager did give me a credit of I think around $200. Best I recall, my bill ended up being $500+ (was $700+ originally). And to just top off this experience for me, I was double billed and did not realize it until I returned to my home. I called the hotel and had to leave a message. The hotel call back came after I filed a dispute with AMEX. I did get a credit for the double-billing. I wrote Starwoods via the link on their Web site to let them know that I expected more than $200 to compensate me for my experience. They said they felt that what they had done was fair and reasonable. I took that to mean that they thought they had done enough to compensate me for what I consider an unacceptable experience anywhere much less at a Starwood Luxury Collection property. I consider my health and safety to be worth more than $200! I will never stay at this hotel again but will stick to La Fonda or El Dorado - I met several people who were staying at one of these locations and they told me that they had good experiences at them.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear C K,

Thank you for the time to do a review. I dearly apologizes for the issues you experiences during your stay and wish you had had a better experience. We have corrected the issues with the TV's and are currently correcting a collapsed line that will help to fix the issues with WIFI in the area you were in. I am sorry that you did not feel secure while you were on the property. We take safety seriously for our guests and pride ourselves in the fact that there have not been significant issues on the property. If I can ever be of assistance please let me know.

At your service,

Ben Tutt
Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was our third time staying at La Posada in 4 years. We love Sante Fe for the weather, hiking, dining and special atmosphere and this trip did not disappoint on these fronts. We have always stayed at La Posada as a Rock Resort and were surprised to learn upon arrival that it had been taken over by Starwood. Everything looked the same but there were many service lapses this time. The hotel was nice enough to allow us to change rooms (none of our requested rooms had been set aside for us as we had hoped) after one night even though they were busy with weddings and big crowds. This was the beginning of our problems.
When we left the hotel at 8am we were given our new room number and were told our bags, which were packed and ready to go, would be in our new room when we returned in the afternoon. Upon our 2:30pm return, after a day of hiking in the dusty hot Jemez Mountains, our room was not ready so we hung out in our sweaty clothes and waited until 3:30 to get into our room. Throughout all of this the reception staff was apologetic, offering us drinks etc. They could not have been more pleasant or attentive. So we finally get to our room and our bags are not there. We called and were assured they would be there soon. We had dinner reservations at 5:30 and our bags had still not appeared at 5:10. My husband went looking for the bags in our original room. The maids happened to be there. He had left a $20 bill on one of the bags as a tip for the bellman and found that it had disappeared. He grabbed our bags, making two trips across the property and up a flight of stairs (because the elevator was broken).
Housekeeping was slipshod on the first two nights. There was literally a pile of housekeeping garbage outside the adjoining room, including sheets, towels, used glasses and a bag of trash which was tipped over and strewn across the floor - for 24 hours! Our comforter was put on upside down with the opening towards the pillow, which is minor but not nice when the comforter comes out of the cover. Only on our last day did they seem to get it together with an excellent and professional housekeeping effort, including fixing the comforter, tidying up loose items on all surfaces, picking up stuff off the floor and vacuuming, etc.
Having said all of the above we will return to La Posada. We love the location, the right room, and the folks who work there could not be nicer.

Room Tip: Because this place has so many different and quirky types of rooms it is a good idea to ask to see t...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Commerce City, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We stayed at La Posada with another couple for 4 nights and the experience was everything we expected and more. Starting with our arrival, the valet service was superb! They were very helpful with getting our bags to our room and taking very good care of our vehicle. The front desk staff was quick and helpful handling our reservation and getting us checked into our room. Our rooms were clean and we loved the decor. The beds were very comfortable and the quality of the linens and towels were top of the line. Room service was quick and courteous with all of our needs. We spent a lot of time at the pool and we were very impressed with Jennifer who kept us hydrated and who was also able to keep everyone at the pool satisfied (She is a very hard worker)! We ordered the tacos at the pool and they were delivered hot and delicious. We loved that we could get complimentary Starbucks coffee in the lobby in the morning and it was always fresh and hot! We utilized the shuttle service the whole time we were there and the drivers were friendly and never kept us waiting long for our return trip back to La Posada. We would definitely recommend this hotel to our friends and family or to anyone visiting Santa Fe!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at La Posada and time in Northern New Mexico. In fact we extended our stay to three nights from two. When we arrived, we were booked in a second floor 'suite' but after seeing all the rooms with small porches went back to the front desk to see if there were other options. They were very considerate in offering to see other rooms and we checked out three others before choosing our favorite. So note - all the rooms are very different. We had a ground floor with small patio and our room was cozy. A bit dark, but that's the style. Real wood fireplace was wonderful. The grounds were beautiful but my wife and I wanted to ask for a broom so we could clean up our area - it appeared to not have been swept for many days. Unlike our room, which was very clean. We joked that maybe their landscaping budget had been cut. But overall, this is a very unique place with a great staff. Just a block or two away from the heart of town. Great spot to from which to discover Santa Fe. Their bar and patio make a great spot to have a drink and bite.

Room Tip: It's valet parking only and it can take 10 or so minutes to retrieve you car....so call before y...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Cleveland, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stayed at La Posada with 4 other couples for 4 nights. We were all disappointed in the condition of our rooms. The carpeting was old and dirty, paint was chipped, walls were scuffed. The rooms need redecorating. The linens were upgraded when the hotel became part of the "Luxury Collection" of Starwood a couple of weeks ago. The pillows are enormous, very fat and uncomfortable.
There was a huge communication problem whenever a request was made by phone. One of us left a credit card at a restaurant in town. When he called the next evening to ask if he had left it, our wait person happened to answer the phone and said she'd left a message for him at the hotel saying his card was at the restaurant. Needless to say, he never got that message. Another of us ordered some food to be delivered to a different room. It was delivered to his room. I ordered food to be delivered to some friends from the bar but the person never placed the order. "Oh, I got busy."
The bathtubs are quite slippery and there are no bathmats. One of our group slipped and hit her head and back. She and her husband spent that first evening in the ER. No apology was offered nor was any compensation. Not even a drink or an offer to pick up the room service charge for dinner when they returned from the ER late that evening.
Jennifer who works as a bartender at the pool is the hardest working human being in all of Santa Fe and a bright light on the staff.
Our package included breakfast and a $50 spa credit. Those who had massages said they were excellent. The food at breakfast was delicious as was the guacamole at the pool. The first morning, our food took 45 minutes to arrive and most of the hot food was room temperature. The problem was with the kitchen; the waitstaff was on top of it. They serve fantastic homemade jams - peach, rhubarb and strawberry.

Be sure to ask to have your room serviced before you leave for the day; otherwise it may never happen as was the case with one couple in our group. They asked several times between 2:30 and 10 PM and it never happened. All they got in the end was "turndown" and fresh towels.

We had to call to ask for turndown service as well and they still did not fill the ice bucket which we has been told was part of "turndown" when we checked in.

Room Tip: 247 has a skylight which made the room lighter.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends

Been to La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!