“Relaxing. Lived up to our expectations” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   330 East Palace Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #32 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Ohio
“Relaxing. Lived up to our expectations”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

We stayed here June 6-10 for a 15 yr anniversary trip. We found the property to be quaint, well maintained and very relaxing. The staff were helpful for the most part. Surprisingly, the concierge was the only one that never went out of their way to help. They almost seemed bothered. However, everyone else was very friendly.
We stayed in a very basic room (king bed w kiva). It was decorated in a rustic decor...beautiful. The bed was comfortable. The room was clean. Housekeeping was very inconsistent despite daily tipping. We had to call twice to have our room freshened up.
The grounds are beautiful. The pool is small, but was a perfect place to relax on a hot afternoon. The hotel sits on a great location. Walking distance to the plaza and canyon rd.
We did not use the spa. The facitilites looked a little worn. We did use the exercise room. It's small but adequately stocked.
We had drinks and dessert several nights. Loved the staff in the bar...great drinks. The Tres Leches cake is amazing. We also enjoyed the s'mores by the fire one night.
I hope to return to La Posada soon.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Dear CamiOhio,

Thank you for the review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed you stay with us. We look forward to your return as well. I have a soft spot for people from Ohio as this is where one side of my family is from. Let me know if I can be of assistance with anything in the future.

Ben Tutt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We live in Albuquerque and visit Santa Fe a lot. We have stayed in a number of different hotels near the plaza, and we were pleased to see that this hotel was recently added to the Starwood collection. We stayed there last night for the first time, and were very pleased with everything. The room, which was apparently a standard room, was large, with a separate sitting area, and was very clean and well-kept. It's also very well-located between the plaza and Canyon Road.
This will definitely be our place in Santa Fe from now on.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 20, 2014
Dear TGx3,

Thank you for the time to do a review. I'm so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are excited about becoming part of the Starwood team and are glad that has resulted in you staying with us.

We look forward to your next visit.

Show Low, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We booked this hotel for a 5-night stay as part of the Starwood Preferred Guest program. Santa Fe exceeded our expectations but this supposed “luxury” hotel fell far short of our expectations--the worst Starwood property we have ever stayed at. Our accommodations were in the Baca Suite which is described on the website as La Posada’s most prestigious suite. Unfortunately we found the room and resort facilities as well as service to be embarrassingly subpar.

The suite’s enclosed flagstone patios (3) are in a terrible state of disrepair. The stone is flaking badly and the patios had not been swept prior to check in nor during our stay. Huge chunks or mortar supporting a small step are missing and the yellow paint on the step is almost completely worn off (a safety hazard). The landscape plantings inside the patio featured more weeds (thistles) than flowers. The exterior paint on the window frames is peeling very badly. None of the gates to the patio close properly and the person delivering the morning paper left the gate wide open every day.

Inside, conditions were no better. Many lights did not work—either had burnt out bulbs or the controls were broken. Lighting in general was inadequate. There were no floor lamps in the main seating area making reading difficult at best (we eventually carried up a floor lamp from the lower level room). The bathroom lighting is also too dim in the evening. During daylight hours the skylights help. Other interior problems we ran into included bedroom air conditioning that constantly blew cold air. An engineer stopped by to adjust the unit. It worked for one day but then reverted to the same problem. All of the thermostat units are very complicated to set/control. Another safety issue in this suite is the steps. The suite has 3 sets of steps—all are very difficult to see in the evening since the floor is dark stone—an accident waiting to happen. The plug that controlled the microwave and refrigerator gave out mid-week. Lots of dirt was tracked in every day from the grit from the patio and it was not swept or vacuumed up.

As to furnishings, these too do not live up to the standard of a luxury suite. There are no area rugs in the suite. The drapes look dated and are difficult to pull closed. The chairs are uncomfortable. The sofa has fringe trim that is falling off along with a few other holes in the fabric. The antique pool table top is moth-hole ridden and appears that it has not been vacuumed in months rendering it unusable. The table that holds the morning beverage is completely shabby—the entire top surface needs to be refinished. The 3 fireplaces look lovely but are useless since the hotel does not supply kindling. The remote to the TV in the living area did not work. None of the TV’s came with a cable guide list. Finally, one of the rooms in the suite was billed as a “media room”. The room had zero electronic equipment, mostly empty bookshelves, not even a coffee table—anything but inviting.

Finally, as stated earlier, we also experienced service issues. When we checked in to our suite we discovered housekeeping had not removed the used coffee filter from the coffee pot and the coffee filters had not been replenished. Service for patio dining was generally slow. On the other hand the valet parkers rushed the guests to the point of initiating issues. On two occasions we left behind possessions behind in the car and had to have the car brought back a 2nd time. We also found that the space for parking and unloading the vehicle is dangerously close—another safety issue. My husband stepped out of the car & onto the edge of the curb and fell onto the sidewalk. Fortunately he just suffered scrapes and bruises.

Lastly, the dining staff is solely in need of training regarding the SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) program. The front desk explained that we had the option of getting a complimentary continental breakfast every morning. We agreed. The 1st morning we asked where the continental breakfast was served. We were informed that we would be seated on the patio and could order anything off the menu, as La Posada did not have a continental buffet. We followed this procedure on Day 1 and Day 2 however neither waiter knew how to handle the billing and had to talk to their managers. On day 3, we were informed after finishing our meal that our breakfast selections were limited to $15 per person and that we would be billed for anything over that. On day 4, we selected breakfast items under $15. The waiter billed us in full and instructed us to write SPG on our credit card slip and said he would take care of “comping” us. Upon check out we discovered that we were billed the full amount of breakfast for June 13th. On day 5, a manager told us that the only item we could order was the Baca Continental—a parfait glass of fruit, yogurt and granola served with a muffin and croissant. REALLY! Does La Posada assume everyone loves yogurt? Does La Posada presume everyone can tolerate lactose? Wouldn’t some guests prefer a bagel instead of a calorie-ridden croissant? The Hampton Inn has a better Continental Breakfast selection. We walked out and have no expectation of returning.

According to news reports Starwood took over this property on May 16th. I understand that it takes time to redecorate all rooms but it does not take a month to train employees on policies and procedures and how to deal with customers and billing. There is no excuse for weeds going unpulled, huge areas of dead grass in the grassy area and sloppy cleaning of rooms. I expected more of a Starwood Resort. La Posada de Santa Fe failed to deliver.

Dear Torchy123,

I appreciate the time you took to do a review for the hotel. I am sorry that the hotel did not meet your expectations. If you have an opportunity I would love to speak with you directly about this issues. As you mentioned we have gone through a transition and I use all of our guest feedback as training tools to help us get better each week. As an SPG member I am particularly interested in your feedback on the program items.

I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you.

(505)-699-4264
Walled Lake, MI
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2014

We visited this hotel in April of 2014. The hotel has been sold to a chain. It had been poorly maintained and was currently (during our stay) in need of renovations. There was renovation going on while we were there and the past neglect and current renovations adversely affected our stay.

We checked into the hotel on April 16th and stayed there for one week. We were on a family vacation and at our request we had connecting rooms with our daughter, her husband and children on the second floor. It felt very private and the rooms were spacious. Each room had its own refrigerator. The grounds were beautiful and the front office staff was helpful. The pool is small for a resort this size.

However, we encountered many problems. The air conditioning in both rooms malfunctioned on several occasions and had to be repaired. One night in desperation for cool air we attempted to open our windows but they were stuck shut. The window shade on one of our window kept falling off, even after it was repaired. The swimming pool was poorly maintained and was full of debris. The lounges and chairs around the pool needed cleaning. We had difficulty getting proper towels and wash cloths and floor mats for both bathrooms. On one day the room was not clean at 4:30 PM, and then we had to call to request cleaning. After that, we called for housekeeping when we left the room in the morning. The stairs on the second floor were dimly lit and both my husband and I slipped on the last step. I thought the grounds were poorly lit at night.

After a few days of this, we complained to management. They were very apologetic and told us that the property was undergoing renovation. They refunded the $30.00 a day resort fee to both families and treated us to dinner in the hotel restaurant.

On the positive side, the grounds were beautiful and peaceful and the location is superb. It is just a few short blocks from the town square and easy driving distance from everything in Santa Fe. My advice is to wait until next year until the renovations have been complete and then check the reviews again. I would return to Santa Fe but not to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been renovated; many are in poor condition. Second floor rooms require that...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Dear Michiganhoney,

Thank you for the time to do a review. I apologize that our renovation affected your stay at the hotel. In particular on the housekeeping side we were upgrading all of the products in the rooms. This should not have affected you. Because of the time frame you were here I would love to invite you back with the first night on us. The only thing I would ask is that you allow me to buy you a drink or a cup of coffee to discuss the experience. We are always looking for ways to do a better job of taking care of our guests.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly and I will arrange for a certificate and will coordinate any additional stay personally.

(505)-954-9610
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014

Older resort but clean and well cared for. Nice views and very close to downtown area....it was an easy walk to the main area. Pool was small but quiet. Fitness room was well stocked with both cardio and strength machines/weights.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear thkred,

Thank you for the time to do a review. I'm glad you enjoyed you stay with us.

We look forward to your next trip.

Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel recently became a starwood property which my husband and I were excited about since he travels for work and has status.

The property was gorgeous and set in a great location where you are only a short walk into the heart of Santa Fe and close to Canyon Road.

The room could have been cleaner as the couch looked like it had stains and there was a spider web in the shower that stayed put our entire visit. It was cool that each room is it's own pueblo vs. the traditional hotel feel.

We sat outside and ordered a glass of wine and desert at Fuego, their on-site restaurant and I wasn't impressed with the service.

Dear Maryann G,

Thank you for the time to do a review. I appreciate the acknowledgement of the property. If you do have time I would love to speak with you directly as I'm not sure what room your were in and I'd like to make sure we get the couch cleaned.

505-954-9610
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

This Place is amazing! growing up in west texas my family use to come to santa fe all the time, we frequented La fonda most times or the Loretta, but i remember seeing this gated hotel that looked enchanting but never knew what it was. My boyfriend who had never been to santa fe always remembered my stories about this really cool place, determined to find it he was and wow what a amazing hotel! so now every year in June to get away form the hustle and bustle of the DFW we come! the grounds our mesmerizing and the service is fantastic! We both work in customer service and are graded on monthly so I can attest that the red carpet service that La posada gives is truly the best out there! I can see why so many people choose to come here! This is the only place I recommend and cant wait to be there in 3 weeks !

Dear Christina P.

Thanks for the great review. We look forward to having you back. If I can do anything at all to help with you next trip please feel free to give me a call directly. Always helps to have the GM in your corner.

Ben Tutt 505-954-9610

Been to La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!