“Charming, lovely, and warm!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   330 East Palace Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #30 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Portland, Oregon
“Charming, lovely, and warm!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

I met my mom here for a long weekend and we have enjoyed every minute. The room was spacious and comfortable. The art, decor, and furnishings in the common spaces throughout the hotel were exceptional. The curator has done an amazing job collecting quality art pieces that compliment the historic mansion, but also create such charm and accessibility to make it feel like your living room. We could have stayed for hours in front of the fire and in the small sitting rooms, and we did! The Friday night appetizers and art tour with the curator was amazing. Not to be missed. The spa treatments were very well done (though expensive but probably comparable to other spa prices in town). Most of the service was very good and friendly. The shuttle service around town was a fantastic addition. A minor comment is that some of the staff upon arrival and departure seemed to lack experience. For example, it would have been nice to have been shown to our room since the layout is not easy. Also, when trying to get help calling for an airport shuttle, the receptionist staff seemed confused. One other minor comment is that the showers are only so-so. Other than those minor things that can be fixed with some attention, the hotel as a whole was an A plus and made our visit to Santa Fe extremely memorable and special. We will definitely be back and look forward to it.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

389 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We were only able to spend one night at this charming hotel in Santa Fe so we did not really mind that the room was very small, as some other reviewers have mentioned. The fireplace made the room cozy and snug. The hotel accommodated our dog (for a fee) and having the crate in the room made for even less room but still we were very happy to enjoy the New Mexico hacienda flavor of this hotel. We had very good breakfast in the dinning room and the bar looked wonderful. I especially liked the many lovely paintings by local artists that were displayed for sale on the walls in the main building. It was wonderful to see a business supporting the excellent local artists in this way. I understand that the paintings are changed on a regular basis.
I carelessly left a small toiletry bag hanging on the back of the bathroom door when we checked out. I realized it several hours later when we were quite a ways away and called immediately. The call was handled very graciously and the woman said it had not been turned in but she would look for it. I left my number and received a call back from her several hours later to say it had not been found. I continued to call daily for five days before deciding that it was a lost cause. On the sixth day the hotel called to say they had the bag and, as I asked, they sent it to me right way. I am not sure why it took so long to find it but I was impressed that the people I dealt with were so willing to help and that when they found it they took the initiative to call me. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you are after an 'old Santa Fe' experience. They do have larger suites, of course. It may not be for those who want a sleek, modern style room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace for a cozy experience...winters can be cold in Santa Fe. If you nee...
Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We are 18 former neighbors who have been getting together for New Year's for the past 30 years. La Posada was the PERFECT
hotel/resort for our reunion this year. The hotel is within a few blocks of all the major tourist attractions in the city, especially The Plaza, with its Indian market, and Canyon Road, with art galleries galore. The rooms were perfect, especially ours, which was the suite where we all met for wine and cheese nightly before dinner. The Concierge was incredibly helpful in planning our group tours, as well as the shuttle to and from the Albuquerque airport. The Reservations staff gave us the best rates ever. The Art Curator presented an extremely informative talk on the hotel's history and a tour of the art collection, with information about the sale of artworks and the artists themselves. But the Crowning Glory was the SHUTTLE. Our party included 3 pre- and post- knee surgery members, and one woman on crutches. The drivers took them, and any others who wanted a ride, to and from dinner engagements, museums, shopping, and tourist attractions. Our stay was made infinitely more pleasant, and all of us were able to participate because of them. We would HIGHLY recommend La Posada for family and friends' gatherings, couples' vacations, and business stays. We hope to go back with our children and grandchldren to enjoy the summertime activities. [TripAdvisor: PLEASE SIGN ME "Joyce W."]

Room Tip: Every one of the 157 rooms is unique. There are many little Southwestern "casas/houses," w...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel for years with very good results until the last visit. Although the room was very nice ...as usual...the service was under par. Even though I had a letter from an assistance manager saying I would get a $100 credit for spa or restaurant usage...the manager person I spoke to at check out...refused to give me the credit saying it was a mistake. He took the letter so I have nothing to go back with but it left me with a very bad taste for e whole incident. We will be back to Sante Fe but will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 27, 2014
Dear Xbbuch,

Thank you for the time to do a tripadvisor. I wanted to update you on events at the hotel. We have changed ownership and have become part of the Luxury Collection with Starwood. This has included a significant investment in the property and additional renovation plans. I know you had challenges with this last visit but I would like to welcome you back to see the changes that have been made. I'd love to personally handle your reservation. Please feel free to reach out directly.

At your service,

Ben Tutt
505-954-9610
Woodbridge, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2014

The whole staff, from lobby to housekeeping, were excellent and so willing to please every guest, dogs included! The room had a divine bed and a wonderful bathroom. My dog was treated like a person with respect and kindness from every one of the employees.

Room Tip: Each room is different. My room was very comfortable and my brother and his wife's room was lar...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Centennial, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

While we did not stay at La Posada, we did make time to visit their spa for a much needed massage. The spa is quite relaxing and enjoyable. A little bit of civility and relaxation to allow some centering.

Dallas, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

La Posada de Santa Fe is not your typical resort getaway. At 6 acres and 157 rooms, it is a relatively small property. It is also a historic property, meaning the buildings have some age to them. Rooms are contained in numerous small buildings (casitas), so just about every room has it's own exterior entry - no long hallways here. The property was also extensively remodeled Having said that, there are some things to be aware of.

The remodel is now showing a bit of its own age, and is probably due for a refresh. Because of the historic nature of the property, each casita, and each room, are unique. Some show their age more than others, but in all my stays I've never been in one that is bad. However, the remodelers did appear to take some short cuts - such as doors with years of painting on them (over the hinges, etc.) rather than being properly stripped and refinished. Not a big deal, but not the quality one would expect to see in a high-end resort.

Bathrooms are often the weak link in hotels, expensive and cheap. While attempts have been made to keep La Posada up-to-date, a couple of mistakes were made. Then bathroom window in our room appeared to be non-insulated, so in the winter it transmits a lot of cold air into the bathroom.

A design error that too many hotels make is the use of the curved shower curtain rod. Maybe this gives the user the feeling the shower is larger than it actually is? Regardless, the result is usually that the curvature adds enough linear inches to make a standard shower curtain too short to keep water from splashing on the floor. Either do away with the curved rod or order curtains that are long enough to completely keep water inside the shower.

When staying at a resort like La Posada, be aware that you will most likely be charged a resort fee. La Posada discloses this upfront - a $30 daily resort fee, but offsets it with a $40 daily breakfast credit. Chances are you won't have EVERY breakfast at the hotel, but it is one way to minimize this fee.

Personally, I am not happy that US hotels large and small appear to be adding this non-negotiable fee to their rates. It probably offsets the lost revenue they used to get from telephone sue, minibar purchases, etc. But ALWAYS check first to see if there is a resort fee added on top of your room rate.

While La Posada does offer free valet parking, self-parking does not appear to be an option. Like I said, the property is small and parking is limited. (Although before the remodel, one could park close to their room.) They do not charge for valet parking, although that cost may be figured into the resort fee, as well as Wi-Fi (unfortunately slow) and other items.

You are also charged $1/day for donation to the restoration of a nearby park. A nice idea, but, again, this fee is not generally disclosed upfront and I suspect there is no option to have it removed.

La Posada lacks some of amenities you might find in a larger property - dining choices are limited (and generally upscale) and I did not see a "gift shop" for general travel sundries.

La Posada is a fine, older property, within walking distance of many local amenities, shopping, and dining. I've stayed there numerous times over a 20 year period and will return. However, note that it does come with some minor drawbacks (maintenance/upkeep, on-site amenities, parking, additional fees). None of these are "deal breakers", so check out La Posada with these in mind.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!