“Wonderful Stay” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   330 East Palace Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
“Wonderful Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 3 days and chose a king patio room.The property exudes the old world charm with duplex styled cottages sprawled all over.Our room was nice and big with a large patio.Staff were very courteous and always ready to help.The hotel itself is around 2-3 minutes away from the Plaza and they had free shuttle service to drop you off and pick you back up as soon as you called. Josh was our shuttle driver on both days and was very prompt and courteous and always at your service. We also liked the hotel breakfast which they serve outside in a covered patio.Nice ambience!
My only complaint would be that during our check-out we found that somebody fraudulently billed around $200 in dinner food bills against our room number.We immediately knew this was wrong as we never ate dinner at this hotel's restaurant. Bringing this to the attention of front desk,they recovered the checks which had our room number but signed by some different person. Fortunately the front desk staff deducted the food bills charges,but we think this unnecessary hassle could have been avoided if the restaurant staff cross-checked the room number with the guest name.
Overall a nice stay otherwise.

• Stayed August 2013
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Ina1021,

Thank you for the time to write a review. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I appreciate the acknowledge of Josh and the breakfast experience. I have to say that the patio is one of my favorite places on the property. I will also share your review with Josh as I know he collects his letters and loves to know when he makes an impact on peoples stays. He cares and does a great job. It makes my job that much better when I can thank him with a note like yours. On the issue with your bill I'm so sorry for the mix-up. I'm glad that the team at the front figured it out and got it corrected quickly.

We look forward to your return.

Ben Tutt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
Grand Junction, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

We were blown away by the staff from the moment we drove up until we left. The friendly, accommodating and happy staff made our stay at this beautiful resort fabulous. A definite recommend for anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear dyannb,

Thank you so much for the quick review. It is our staff that really make the difference. One of our core principles is to have fun and enjoy what you do. I'm so glad that the team made such an impact on your experience. I appreciate the recommendation and we will look forward to your return.

Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I really wanted to LOVE La Posada, but was somewhat disappointed in our stay.

I will preface this review by saying that we have travelled around the world, and stay at all different types of properties (B&Bs to boutique hotels to sprawling luxury resorts). We never mind paying top dollar for a nice hotel, but with that price tag comes high expectations.

We stayed at La Posada for two nights, right before Indian Market began. The town was bustling and the hotel was, understandably, sold out. We paid close to $400 for the first night, and a little bit less for the second night.

Five Stars for friendliness & warmth of staff
Five Stars for location
Three Stars for spa experience
One Star for wi-fi, which was pretty much non-existent
Three Stars for the room

Everyone is very warm and welcoming to us upon arrival. We had ordered a crib ahead of time - upon making the reservation I was told they do not offer cribs. In a later conversation with the hotel I was told they do offer cribs, so I reserved one for our 7 month old. Upon arrival they had no record of the request, so we had to ask for it. Points for prompt delivery, and there was a follow up phone call to confirm we received it and that we were satisfied. Very nice.

The location of the property is excellent. It is only 2-3 short blocks to the main plaza and restaurants. Wonderful.

The property overall is quaint, and it appears it has been maintained nicely. It would be nice if they put some of that care into the individual rooms.

The room. The room was only "ok". The carpet is a bit worn, the door to the bathroom did not close all the way, and it made a loud noise when we tried to shut or open it (which at times woke up our baby). The shower was not great, and showerhead was only ok. I can really get into nitpicking here, but I will summarize it by saying the rooms could use some freshening up - a coat of paint, some new door knobs & carpeting would go a long way.

The spa. We had been on a 3 week trip throughout the southwest and I was in desperate need of getting cleaned up so I decided to get a manicure/pedicure. The price of a mani/pedi was $120, which is a splurge. I never mind splurging on facials or massages, but I usually spend $30-40 a week for mani/pedis here at home, so to pay $120 was almost a month's worth of that type of service. But I was on vacation and in need, so I went for it. When I asked the gal making the appointment what was included in the mani/pedi, she could not describe it to me. Usually, luxury spa mani/pedis include a nice scrub or extra massaging, etc., and I simply wanted to know what I was getting for my $120, but could not get a description. OK. Upon arrival at the spa, they merely walked me over to the mani/pedi station. Yes, I may be nitpicking here, but every other spa I've been to around the world usually offers water, or coffee or tea, etc and I was offered nothing. Also, whenever you pay for a spa service, you are usually offered use of spa amenities (sauna, steam room, etc.) and there was no mention of this to me. I had an ok manicure pedicure, but after 2 days, the nail polish was chipping and looking terrible. I will say that 5 points goes to the person who provided the mani/pedi because he was lovely and friendly, but unfortunately the quality itself was not great. I cannot comment on the quality of massages, etc.

The wi-fi was simply non-existent. I am being generous by giving 1 star.

One evening, after we had been walking around the town, we walked back to the hotel to find they were having a reception for guests in the lobby. My husband and I are in our 40s, but look very young for our age, and we were in shorts (it was hot out), and had our baby in a sling. We decided to walk through the lobby and have a bite of the many lovely appetizers they were serving. As we walked through the door, a woman (I assume a manager) was at the door, and she asked "are you guests of the hotel?"... There was a certain tone to her voice that made me feel like she thought we were not good enough to be guests. Ouch. That has never happened to us in any hotel anywhere! Not at the Four Seasons, the Peninsula, or Mandarin Oriental.

Upon checkout, no one asked the standard questions: "how did you enjoy your stay in Santa Fe?", "was everything to your satisfaction?" My husband took the initiative and mentioned the wi-fi and some of the issues of the shabbiness of the room. The bland response was that they would "take it into consideration".

In summary, great location, quaint grounds, rooms only "ok", save your money and get spa services when you get back home. If you get a deal and get a rate $229 or less, then sure, you should stay there and not expect luxurious rooms. If you are there during a special time, like Indian Market or another festival and rooms are $300+ you should consider looking into a different property such as Inn of Anasazi or the Four Seasons. Rooms at Four Seasons were comparable to the price we paid, and I would have gotten what I expect. Four Seasons never disappoints, and I'm sorry I didn't book there, but I wanted to support a boutique hotel and the local community.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear ACLosAneles,

Thank you for the time to do a review. I appreciate the various feedback and will share it with the team. On the Wifi my apologies as we had a lightning strike and had to make a repair to the system. We did not realize we were impacted until we got feedback as the device that does this was destroyed. On some of the in-room issues we are at the end of our season and are getting through the rooms to do deep cleans and will be making several upgrades over the next several months, including carpets. I also appreciate the feedback on the Spa. I will review with the team the product used to see if we have an issue on the chipping. I will also do a refresher with the desk team as we do have steam-rooms, a variety of amenities and beverage offerings that go with any treatment.

Again I appreciate the time and the nice acknowledgements. If I can every be of assistance please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly.

Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

To be honest, this was not my first choice of hotels but the other hotel that I preferred was booked up so I reluctantly choice La Posada. And I'm so glad it worked out that way! My sister and I booked the Girls Getaway Package and got a beautiful, big double queen room. The room was clean and updated and it had a great little seating area separated from the bedroom. Our spa experience was wonderful and the restaurant service was good as well. The only issue was that for two nights there were weddings so it was a bit loud in our room, which was located right down the walkway but they both ended by midnight and the rest of the night was so quiet. We enjoyed the short walk down to the Plaza, just about 5-10 minutes down the road which was very convenient. Overall, this was a great place to stay and I definitely will stay here again on any future trips to beautiful Santa Fe!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Gina M,

So glad to hear that we were able to get your business. I appreciate the time you took to do a review and I'm happy to hear that we are now your hotel of choice in Santa Fe.

We will look forward to having you back with us. If I can ever be of service please feel free to reach out directly.

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Two friends and I stayed here for the SWAIA festival and a little longer. La Posada was a wonderful escape from the busy-ness of the festival, a peaceful retreat. The grounds are just beautiful with sculpture and artwork in all the right places. The food in the outdoor restaurant was delicious and the service was great. The room was odd--strange pairing of furnishings--but very comfortable. Customer service was outstanding with everyone from the housekeeper to the shuttle driver providing excellent service. We spent a day in the spa having body treatments, massages, facials, using the steam room and swimming in the pool--so relaxing--Mary was able to melt away the stress with her healing hands. It was a wonderful visit and we will return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear reescares,

Thank you for the wonderful review. The Indian Market is a great event and I always encourage people to take some extra time and enjoy Santa Fe when it is not so busy. It seems like you did the perfect trip and enjoyed all the resort had to offer. I appreciate all the acknowledgements. The mention of the staff is my favorite as it is the team here that makes all the difference. I'll be sure to share this review with them.

We look forward to your next visit.

General Manager.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

I enjoy staying at this upscale downtown hotel in Santa Fe (our 2nd time) because of the exceptionally attentive staff, the peublo style accomodations (2 story max), rooms in kind of a maze throughout property. There is a lot of variability in the rooms, so choose wisely. On the one hand, there are some dated awkward rooms, and on the other, large spacious modern rooms. Location on the property varies widely as well - some rooms face walls, some face into other rooms, some face into public walkways - best to see the room before you finalize check in. The staff could not be more accommodating or gracious, and worked their b*tts off to keep what is a generally a well-heeled, high-income, opera-going (see also: 'older') clientele in check. All meals we had at the outdoor restaurant were excellent and service was comparable. The pool is smallish, but apart from weekends, didn't seem to be heavily used so it was not a problem. Linens, toiletries top quality. A/C a bit dodgy in some rooms - you may want to be in a 'newer' wing to avoid. Hotel seems to fill up with a different crowd on weekends, often bringing 5 or 6 children in tow, so that is a factor to consider, especially by the pool. I would like to try the other upscale hotel downtown - Inn of the ??? - but wasnt able to get rooms on this visit. The reviews for that property were also highly variable, and given the fact that this is an absolute gem, considered as a whole, would happily (and probably will) return.

Room Tip: see it first -
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Eric B,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review. I appreciate the acknowledgements of the hotel and especially the team. It is the team, that as you said works the b*tt's off, that really makes the difference. I'll enjoy sharing your review with them.

We look forward to your return. Please let me know if I can be of assistance with any room selections in the future.

General Manager.
Centereach, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were planning a trip to Santa Fe for the annual Indian Market, and we chose to stay here because it is only blocks from the plaza. What a great decision we made. This hotel was so great in many ways that I do not know where to begin. The service, from every single employee was exceptional. Everyone would offer to help as they approached! When we went to the lovely pool, we had barely sat down when the bartender approached with iced lemon water! Our package included breakfast, and both water and coffee were continually refilled. Our food, from Huevos Rancheros to breakfast burritos were delicious and served quickly in a lovely outdoor patio. That brings me to the grounds. Walking around La Posada is like being in paradise. There any fountains, plantings, and numerous kinetic sculptures. The rooms are spaced out is separate one or two story buildings, and all have the wonderful southwest feel. A good tip is to investigate which type of room you would like. Some have outdoor patios, but to me seemed closer to the front of the hotel's lobby area. We had a very quite room away from the action, but without a patio. The room was comfy and very spacious. Even the bathroom was huge with two sinks. I also want to say how wonderful the Friday night Chef's reception was. I have been to resorts were these things have watered down drinks and barely any food. Well not here! The delicious appetizers and wine were always being refreshed, and we even got to meet the chef. Another small, but terrific perk, is that the resort offers a complimentary shuttle to anywhere within two miles. We took advantage of this several evenings for dinner and it was great. La Posada has a spa on the property with many services available, but we didn't have time this trip. Other guests were talking about the treatments with rave reviews. I will certainly take advantage of that next year, because we plan to return. I cannot speak highly enough of La Posada!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Aina M,

Thank you so much for the lovely review. I really enjoyed this, it made my day. The team here always strives to make memorable experiences for our guests. It seems like you got to really enjoy the resort and the town of Santa Fe. Your review is exactly how we want people to leave Santa Fe, wanting more. I also like the fact that you missed the Spa. That adds another reason to return.

If I can ever be of assistance on a future stay please let me know. We will look forward to your return.

Ben Tutt

Been to La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!