“Where's my room, again?” 4 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

Save Saved
You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Prices are for rooms, adults
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   330 East Palace Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #30 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Boston, Massachusetts
“Where's my room, again?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Beautiful property and excellent service. The food is very good too. However, the signage to each room on the property is really bad. So bad that sometimes when I asked the staff walking by for directions, even they got lost. But that is trivial in such a beautiful location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2012
Dear Eruch1,

Thank you for taking the time to do a review on La Posada. I appreciate the recognition of the staff and the excellent service. I apologize that the signage got confusing. With 26 building spread out over six acres this can become a challenge especially if you get out of the area of your room. I plan to walk through with select members of my time and hopefully a few repeat guests and look into potentially adding some other signs. We had designated some renovation money for our signage for the end of the year so this is perfectly timed.

We look forward to your return visit.

426 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Raleigh
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2012

The room we were given was as if in a hole, run down and dimly lit, on a corner across from a noisy pool. The valet kept asking personal question all the way to what he promised would be an excellent room. We had to spend a few minutes every day to close blinds for privacy in order to get ready to go out. We were allowed one body lotion and then it was gone. The sheets smelled like they had been in the washer overnight, that sour stink. The staff was either perfucntory, clueless, snotty, slow or missing altogether. One afternoon, the waiter brought me a club soda after a ten minute wait (he had to include the drink order of the newly arrived next table in his round trip) then returned within a minute to ask if I wanted more. He then disappeared with my drink for another five minutes. Keep in mind that Santa Fe is a hot dry climate.
The landscaping service was the only business making money.
The alligator-pit porch was dirty. The sliding glass door was dirty, with only one clean window pane. The HVAC system was noisy. Every time the person upstairs moved, the ceiling boards in our room would creak and rattle. The infrastructure has so much promise, but except for the plantings, the place was tired, like it has seen its better days. We were so disappointed. Our three-night stay at La Posada was a weakest element of what was otherwise a wonderful visit to Santa Fe. What an unfortunate dissappointment.

Room Tip: Travelers do not really have a choice, according to the manager, you get what they give you
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
BenTutt, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Josie W,

I'm so sorry that the hotel did not live up to your expectations. I have read through and reviewed the points. If you have time I would love to speak with you directly as this is not the type of experience that we typically provide. I would love to get you back to the property and personally make sure that your experience lives up to and exceeds your expectations.

Thank you for the feedback and time in this response.

Brackettville, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

I love this place!!!!!! The people are great, helpful but not intrusive. The spa is fantastic as is the Lounge at the main house. I loved our casita, its fireplace, etc. My only wish is that we had booked a second story room for the view. Please stay here - it is great. Little pricey but worth the $.

Room Tip: Book a room over another casita to be away from traffic noise and have a great view. Light the fire...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Dear DD S,

Thank you for the "wonderful" review. I'm so happy that you enjoyed your stay and would recommend it to others. I appreciate the "great" review of the staff as it is the team here that really makes the difference. I'll be sure to Post a thank you for the group.

We look forward to your return.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

The property is beautiful and boasts a wonderful location only a few blocks from the Plaza. The property if comprised of a main house which houses registration, a restaurant, an art gallery and numerous little casita's in true Santa Fe adobe style. Our room featured a king bed with lots of comfy pillows and a nightly turn down service.

Upon arrival we were greeted by the valet service (the only option for parking) and directed to the check-in where a nice staff member registered us and directed to follow the signs to our casita at the back of the property. Unfortunately, poor signage and numerous narrow, twisting paths between casitas left us wandering needlessly around the property by ourselves trying to find our casita. When we did arrive, we found our room had already received turn down service (7pm). The room was lovely and the bed was adequate.

Our biggest concerns with the property both came the following morning when we were awakened at 8:15am by numerous knocks on the door by the cleaning crew wanting to clean our room. Not pleasant experience to be awakened early on our only day to catch a little sleep. Well, since we were up it was time to shower and get moving. And moving I did when I got into the shower and found that there was NO HOT WATER. A brisk cold shower can really get one moving. While the property was beautiful. I must admit that the below par service and our experience with the shower and cleaning crew cause me to rate this property as more like a nice chain hotel and not a 4 star resort property.

Room Tip: If any of your party has difficulty walking or needs assistance, be sure to ask for a room at the fr...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Prayingnfaith41,

Thank you for the review. I apologize for the early intrusion of Housekeeping. We have reviewed our procedure that we do not knock on an occupied room door before 9:00am if an earlier service is not requested. Our team is well aware of this and I regret that this mistake happened. I also am away of the issue with the hot water. We had an issue where we had to shut down the hot water to specific area to repair a damaged utility line that was not planned.

It is unfortunate that both these items happened during your stay if I can make it up on a future trip I would love to have the opportunity. Please feel free to reach out to me directly if you’re in Santa Fe.

(505)-954-9610
Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Our friend had booked us this hotel the night of my birthday and it was incredible. When we drove in they kindly explained that it was 100% valet. We checked in and the staff was more than friendly, they all greeted us with big smiled and made us feel at ease. The property is gorgeous, trees everywhere. I love the outdoors, camping, hiking that sort of thing, and my boyfriend loves comfort and luxury. Honestly staying here accommodated both of us very well. We sat outside for chips and salsa and some drinks, the staff remembered it was by birthday and asked how our night was going. We were well taken care of. The rooms are adorable, think of Hansel and Gretel, it’s like a small cute little cottage feel, with a southwest flare. They had robes and slippers on the bed with mints. The beds were so comfortable and we slept great.
And of course there always are a couple things to be mentioned; I wish the bathtubs were bigger, and maybe even the bathroom. We found out later that our dear friend who booked our room also ordered us breakfast the next morning and even called the night before to confirm… well they never came to our room! So someone on staff wasn’t on par. Other than that I appreciated our stay greatly.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Amanda C,

So glad that you enjoyed your Birthday with us and had a "magical" stay. I appreciate the time to do the review and the acknowledgements of the property.

Same time next year?

Austin, TX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2012

Beautiful grounds, incredible pool bartender, great female concierge. We had a balcony deal which meant we got a room with a patio. We had a room just off the pool. We arrived and handed our rental off to the valet - a guy from Belgium who was very nice. Checked in quickly and were OFFERED help from the woman at the concierge desk. I don't think that has ever happened to me anywhere before. before. She was very nice, had some great hiking suggestions and then volunteered suggestions on food. Sadly, that was the last time we saw her. The other concierge was a man who studiously avoided catching my eye every time I saw him. He was never helping anyone else I saw either but he always looked super busy (?).
The room was nice, fireplace and a big bathroom. NO MOVIES. I really like curling up in bed and watching a movie when I am at a hotel - and at a place where I pay 400+ a night, I expect that. BIG disappointment.
The carpet was rucked up - as if it had been torn out and then simply pushed back into place. I set my brand new Carolina Herrera purse down beside the easy chair and when I picked it back up it was wet. I felt the carpet under and around the chair and it was soaking wet. The shower floor is dark with unwashable (I guess) grime. The patio was filthy - tree debris and dust and seriously uncomfortable chairs.
Breakfast was delicious. We had a package that covered breakfast except not really. They give you a certain amt of money ($40?) that doesn't actually cover the cost unless you're just getting an entree and no coffee or juice. This sounds like a pathetic thing to whine about - but the service is so strange....waiters are hovering every second. We could hardly get a word out to each other. We'd start a conversation and here would come a guy with coffee. rather than just indicating he could fill our coffee, we'd have to have a conversation about it. No sooner would he leave than another guy would show up with water and we'd have another conversation. One guy showed up and apparently felt he was required to make conversation, despite the fact that he had just interrupted our discussion. He visibly worked at coming up with a topic that might interest us (other than the upcoming election we had been discussing) and finally hit on hiking and wondered if we enjoyed that? We had breakfast there 3 days in a row - same experience every day. Every day we had the same waiter, slow and vaguely confused and unfathomably chatty. Got our order wrong every time. EVERY TIME.
The hotel is ALSO a country club of sorts. People who live near by pay to use the tiny pool and the spa. So be prepared for never getting a lounge by the pool.
The spa is really nice - I had an excellent facial. I made an appt for 30 minutes later. Went to my room, changed and went back and the girl at the front desk had no idea who I was. It has been 15 minutes. No, really.
We were gone all day Saturday, from 9 - 5. We had breakfast, went to tent rocks and then out to the Spanish Market and out for lunch and the strolled around the area. At 5 we went back to our room - no housekeeping. We were napping when at 5:30 the door was opened and a housekeeper started in. She was shocked to find us and asked if we didn't want housekeeping? I said well, we DID, but it is 5:30. So she walked back out. When we left again at 8 her cart was parked outside our door - we had to edge around it to get out. I guess that was the spot for leaving dirty dishes found in rooms, because the same 5 dirty glasses sat outside our room for two days. But when we came back the turn down person had been in and the room was picked up. There were HUGE weddings going on Friday and Saturday night on the property. Maybe that is why housekeeping was non-existent. Loud partying all night both nights, DJ music, etc.
It wasn't a bad stay. But it wasn't great and for 400+ a night I expect better. We really liked Santa Fe and will definitely go back, but will try a different place next time.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

As I mentioned in my first review of this property, no two rooms are alike and it matters where you are on the property. After I thought I had arranged a specific room type and location in March for my long weekend trip in July - I arrived to find I had a room in the parking lot. I was MORE than disappointed especially after noting how helpful the reservation staff was on this site to find there were no requests or notations in my record.

But the staff on site worked overtime to find a more suitable room. It took some 20 minute with 2 people trying to move things around but they did in fact find a better room. The staff are extremely helpful, friendly and accommodating not only at check in but through out our stay.

I would definitely return to this property but the room quality is a variable that cannot be managed with certainty.

One other issue that troubled some of us more than others was the air conditioner was somewhat noisy at night. This could be managed by adjusting the temp but then it was a bit stuffy.

Room Tip: Room location is everything at this property but they will not guarantee a specific room. Certainly...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!