“Wonderful experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   330 East Palace Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Cyber Monday Exclusive
Ranked #33 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
“Wonderful experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

We were able to get a good rate at this hotel on Priceline, but after reading some of the reviews on TripAdvisor I was a bit concerned about my choice. Maybe my expectations were low, but my husband and I just loved the resort. The room we were given was quite comfortable and of a good size. The room amenities were nice (big screen TV, nice toiletries, very nice bathroom, attractive furniture and decoration). The entire staff was excellent from the valet to the check-in desk to the wait staff on the patio restaurant. The waitress at the pool was just top notch. The concierge was especially helpful. And the resort grounds are just beautiful and relaxing. It was a great location -- just about a 5-minute walk to the Plaza. If we had not known about the $30/day resort fee from reading TripAdvisor, I probably would have been upset -- but I had expected it. I can understand why it was a nasty surprise to many. We were only there for two days, so we didn't use the spa or the exercise facilities. But the pool was great, the food at the outside patio restaurant was excellent (a bit pricey, but we chose to eat there because it was so beautiful and relaxing), and we would love to go back.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Leiba,

Thank you for the wonderful review and we would love to have you back as well. I appreciate the mentions of all the staff. This is a focus of ours. As an independent hotel we focus on several cornerstones of service. The main mission is to provide a genuine, intimate, and consistent Santa Fe experience. I have met with the team and thanked each area that you mentioned.

On the resort fee I understand this can be a surprise as there is not a forum besides small print with Priceline to disclose this. It is a Santa Fe, and in many cases a Resort standard, so be sure to ask when booking anywhere in town. The one thing I like to note is that we give more than just coffee in the room and free wifi for the fee. We have live entertainment 5 nights a week and daily activities for everyone on property from art/history walks to local beer and cheese tastings.

Thank you again!

At your service,

Ben Tutt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (191)
Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2012

We seriously considered staying here and, instead, chose to rent the lovely Casa Perla cottage just around the corner from the hotel. See separate review for that. We did get a pass for La Posada's day spa and, while we had excellent massages with Develia and Loretta, we thought the spa facilities were awful -very small and poorly maintained. I spent 15 minutes trying to find a locker with a lock that actually worked. My husband had the same problem in the men's locker room. The steam room was not working properly - it had no steam! The swimming pool is nice enough but it's very small and not nearly as pretty as it looks on the website. There was no staff person attending to the area other than the bar tender, so there were used towels draped over damp chairs everywhere and it looked messy and cluttered. Also, when you're sharing the pool with screaming kids, it really takes away from the spa experience. We've been to Canyon Ranch and many other world renowned spas and this hotel has a lot of work to do if it's going to bill itself as a spa hotel. We regretted spending spa time at La Posada. Next time, we'll go back to Ten Thousand Waves which we always love.

We ate dinner at their fine restaurant Fuego that night and were impressed with the food and the friendly service of Michael and Zach, though we probably won't go back. The atmosphere just isn't alluring enough somehow. Overall, the hotel is in a prime location with some wonderful potential. If a high level hotel group such as Four Seasons, Raleigh & Chateau, Auberge or Orient Express were to scoop it up and add their magical touch to it, we'd go back. Otherwise, we won't waste our money there.

Dear Melody5,

Thank you for taking the time to write the review. I'm sorry that you decided not to stay with us. I appreciate the mention of the service that you received from our therapists and our restaurant staff. You have mentioned some of the premier hotel and spa products in the nation as our comparables. For the sake of the customers I want to make sure I clarify our type of hotel. We are a four diamond independent property that focuses on generating a genuine and intimate Santa Fe experience. Our Spa is what is considered a resort spa and not a destination spa like a Canyon Ranch. We are not a $700+ a night property like the ones you mention. We focus on our history, art, and being a genuine Santa Fe experience with an intimate staff approach rather than being cookie cutter. I don't mean this to be defensive just to clarify.

I apologies that we did not meet the expectation. I appreciate the opportunity to clarify what type of hotel we are. We are intimate, Genuine, and an authentic Santa Fe experience. That being said I would love to invite you back when you are in the area. I always value the opinions of experienced travelers. Feel free to contact me directly. Again, thank you for the time.

Regards,

505-954-9610
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

A very great hotel if you get a good rate. We felt like it was unique and beautiful in a old world way. Reception and front desk and staff were all on their best behavior and made us feel as though we had accomplished some kind of great thing in life. The restaurant is gorgeous and the food top plate. Our room was small and strange and could stand for some updates in the bathroom, but it was certainly not without a great charm. We had seen some exceptional high rates posted for this same room and thought to ourselves that anything more than 300 a night and one's expectation might quickly exceed the reality. I simply love the layout and old village setting of the place and the pool was nice. BUT by far the most exceptional thing about the whole weekend was the night in the bar when Savor played to a packed room. These guys were so damned good I could have slept in a tent afterwards under the stars and loved it. In other words, if you can get a reasonable rate this is a very very great place for a weekend. Great energy here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Soleswornthin,

Thank you for the review. I'm so glad that you were able to join us on one of our specials. I appreciate the mention of the staff. I have shared my thanks with them for making you feel like you have done "great things in life." I also appreciate the acknowledgement of our entertainment. We do daily activities for guests and entertainment Wednesday through Sunday. Our female Mariachi Band that performs Wednesdays is going to be features in the Olympics in London this year. You’ll have to come back and see them as well.

Great name for your profile, I like it.

At your Service,

Austin, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is very nice place. But always, I find the something missing in this place. The people running the place espcially the wait staff in the resturant do not have the concept of providing service that matches the beauty of this place. I was there for breakfast this morning with a friend, they are so interested in getting in our face, get our order, give us the food and get us out of there, they forgot why we are there.

So very commercialized feeling place, though the primary reason you go there is for peace and tranquility.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Reddie P,

Thank you for taking time to write this review. My apologies for the experience. We have met with the staff in our wait area in regards to this. Our focus on the property is being genuine and intimate. Unfortunately it seems that while you were here the team focused more on the process than the person. I would be open to a call if you have the time. Our focus in all feedback is to take it and reward the staff or make the improvements that are necessary to improve our service levels.

At your service,

505-954-9610
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I did quite a bit of research on hotels before deciding on this one and wasn't thrilled with the deal I got, but prices where pretty high. Then when I found out the hotel was no longer part of RockResorts, I started to get worried. I wouldn't care if I had gotten some $96 rate as part of their 96-hour sale, but rates were significantly higher than that. I don't mind paying a lot for a hotel if the experience is exceptional, but this wasn't. There was nothing that ruined the trip, but there were enough small things that weren't right, plus the high price tag, that lead me to give it just 3 stars.

We arrived about 8pm and the valet were right there to get our bags. They were very professional, as they were throughout our stay (it was just getting the car that proved to be the problem). We were promptly checked-in and then the valet took us, and our bags to our room. It was an odd room, you entered into this small foyer that had very limited lighting, a large window (with shade) and the closet. Then off of this was the very small bedroom and the bathroom. The bathroom was fine, not large by any means, but nicely done. The bedroom was so small though. At least we didn't have to keep our suitcases in there but there was room for the bed, a desk, a hutch with a TV (at a terrible angle) and not room for much else. It was disappointing to say the least, especially since we weren't paying some ridiculous rate, even if it was part of the 96-hour sale. The biggest issue was when we got into bed, or out of bed or sat on the bed -- there were little white things all over the sheets and bedding. At first I thought a kleenex had gone through the wash with it, or the sheets were old. I'm not sure what it turned out to be, but the bed was basically shedding these little white balls. It was all over our pajamas when we got up the next day, on the floor, then we both made the mistake of packing our bags for later that day (going straight to another spa and then to dinner) by putting clothing on the bed - those were then covered with it too. I never require the sheets to be changed for such a short stay, but there was no card to leave on the bed to request this so I called and explained the situation and the woman said, 'i'll ask them to service your room' -- i just hoped that meant she understand I wanted the sheets changed! When we came back later, we still saw some of the balls and worried we were stuck with it, but it was a lot better so they must have been changed.

I have a photo of the bathroom on here as well - they should take these out of there. They were all balled up, looked dingy, I would not want to use that. I liked the bath products, but the water temperature, whether in the shower or the sink, was not good. Took forever to get hot water. I didn't bother when washing my face as it would take too long. Also, we returned at night to find that while our room appeared to have been cleaned and fresh towels were out, etc, our toilettries were all over the counter as we had left them. Clearly no one could have cleaned around this. I don't mind someone touching our stuff to put them all in one small area so they can clean, but it looked like nothing had been done in the sink area. The hairdryer was also left out with the plug hanging all over.

The trick with the valet is to call at least 15 minutes before you want your car. Even if you're not ready, at least it will be sitting out there for you. We learned this right away, but even after that, we called, then went outside and said our car was coming, then almost 20 minutes later, asked again, and then we saw the guy run to get it - they had totally forgotten. They recognized and apologized.

The last thing is the concierge. I went to ask her opinion on going to Taos, the high road/low road and specifically if she could highlight the high road for me on a map as I heard there were multiple turnoffs. She didn't seem to know what I was talking about and then started to highlight the low road on a map - I reminded her I was asking about the high road and then she looked it up and then was able to help. Just seemed a bit odd if this is her job. We also tried to find out where they might be showing the big boxing match that was on TV that night and she suggested we call this one place, didn't offer to call herself or have any other suggestions. Not a huge deal, we finally tracked it down ourselves, but not up to par with a resort of this supposed type.

It does have a nice location just a short walk to Canyon Road or to the Plaza area.

Overall, I stay at a range of hotel, almost exclusively 4- and 5-stars and get some great deals and sometimes pay a bit more. For the amount I paid here, I'm really disappointed because of the issues above. if I had paid $100 or $125, I would be a lot more forgiving. I hope they're able to turn around their service (including housekeeping) and get new linens, bedding, fix the water temperature, etc if they're going to charge the prices they are.

I did like that they had bottles of water in the room free of charge (they aren't bottled water, they're in these glass bottles, but all good).

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before settling in as they don't seem to be uniform.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I am an Event Planner for the ASPCA and in the past year have booked four conferences at the La Posada. We do work all over the US, but we keep going back to Santa Fe specifically to stay at the La Posada. The room rates cannot be beat, the staff always goes above and beyond and the customer service they provide makes my job so much easier. The food is great, the rooms are great, the property is great... everything is just... GREAT! I've planned several conferences there, and each one receives rave reviews and stellar feedback. I have so much trust and confidence in the La Posada, I intend to send as many conferences there as possible. Every event we have planned there has been seamless, easy, and has had excellent reviews from our attendees. I cannot recommend it strongly enough. If you are an event planner, get in touch with Mark Miller ASAP and he will take care of you!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

The grounds are beautiful. The walking distance to the Plaza is perfect. The service is slow although the people are pleasant and gracious when you can get them to wait on you. We had a large party of 20+ and had signed a contract. However, once we were there I felt like "we already have your money and we are working on the next check". Our rooms were not what we contracted for. They did eventually get us all moved but we had to request it. We didn't see a "master" bill before leaving although the contract stated we would. The night before we left, after requesting a copy from our "contact" she realized it wouldn't be possible even though the contract said it would be and she had meetings so she wouldn't be able to meet with us before we checked out. We expected a bit more "service" from our contact as that is what we've received on other business trips with this size of party. If you are going as a "couple" and don't require the service needed for a large group, it might be fine.

Room Tip: Request a pool away from the pool. Ask if there will be any large parties as we were right by the r...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business

Been to La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!