“Nice Place without a soul (service)” 2 of 5 stars
Review of La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa

You added La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa to your Saves list
La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa
4.0 of 5 Resort   |   330 East Palace Ave., Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #32 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Austin, Texas
“Nice Place without a soul (service)”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

This is very nice place. But always, I find the something missing in this place. The people running the place espcially the wait staff in the resturant do not have the concept of providing service that matches the beauty of this place. I was there for breakfast this morning with a friend, they are so interested in getting in our face, get our order, give us the food and get us out of there, they forgot why we are there.

So very commercialized feeling place, though the primary reason you go there is for peace and tranquility.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
, General Manager at La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Dear Reddie P,

Thank you for taking time to write this review. My apologies for the experience. We have met with the staff in our wait area in regards to this. Our focus on the property is being genuine and intimate. Unfortunately it seems that while you were here the team focused more on the process than the person. I would be open to a call if you have the time. Our focus in all feedback is to take it and reward the staff or make the improvements that are necessary to improve our service levels.

At your service,

Ben Tutt
505-954-9610

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

I did quite a bit of research on hotels before deciding on this one and wasn't thrilled with the deal I got, but prices where pretty high. Then when I found out the hotel was no longer part of RockResorts, I started to get worried. I wouldn't care if I had gotten some $96 rate as part of their 96-hour sale, but rates were significantly higher than that. I don't mind paying a lot for a hotel if the experience is exceptional, but this wasn't. There was nothing that ruined the trip, but there were enough small things that weren't right, plus the high price tag, that lead me to give it just 3 stars.

We arrived about 8pm and the valet were right there to get our bags. They were very professional, as they were throughout our stay (it was just getting the car that proved to be the problem). We were promptly checked-in and then the valet took us, and our bags to our room. It was an odd room, you entered into this small foyer that had very limited lighting, a large window (with shade) and the closet. Then off of this was the very small bedroom and the bathroom. The bathroom was fine, not large by any means, but nicely done. The bedroom was so small though. At least we didn't have to keep our suitcases in there but there was room for the bed, a desk, a hutch with a TV (at a terrible angle) and not room for much else. It was disappointing to say the least, especially since we weren't paying some ridiculous rate, even if it was part of the 96-hour sale. The biggest issue was when we got into bed, or out of bed or sat on the bed -- there were little white things all over the sheets and bedding. At first I thought a kleenex had gone through the wash with it, or the sheets were old. I'm not sure what it turned out to be, but the bed was basically shedding these little white balls. It was all over our pajamas when we got up the next day, on the floor, then we both made the mistake of packing our bags for later that day (going straight to another spa and then to dinner) by putting clothing on the bed - those were then covered with it too. I never require the sheets to be changed for such a short stay, but there was no card to leave on the bed to request this so I called and explained the situation and the woman said, 'i'll ask them to service your room' -- i just hoped that meant she understand I wanted the sheets changed! When we came back later, we still saw some of the balls and worried we were stuck with it, but it was a lot better so they must have been changed.

I have a photo of the bathroom on here as well - they should take these out of there. They were all balled up, looked dingy, I would not want to use that. I liked the bath products, but the water temperature, whether in the shower or the sink, was not good. Took forever to get hot water. I didn't bother when washing my face as it would take too long. Also, we returned at night to find that while our room appeared to have been cleaned and fresh towels were out, etc, our toilettries were all over the counter as we had left them. Clearly no one could have cleaned around this. I don't mind someone touching our stuff to put them all in one small area so they can clean, but it looked like nothing had been done in the sink area. The hairdryer was also left out with the plug hanging all over.

The trick with the valet is to call at least 15 minutes before you want your car. Even if you're not ready, at least it will be sitting out there for you. We learned this right away, but even after that, we called, then went outside and said our car was coming, then almost 20 minutes later, asked again, and then we saw the guy run to get it - they had totally forgotten. They recognized and apologized.

The last thing is the concierge. I went to ask her opinion on going to Taos, the high road/low road and specifically if she could highlight the high road for me on a map as I heard there were multiple turnoffs. She didn't seem to know what I was talking about and then started to highlight the low road on a map - I reminded her I was asking about the high road and then she looked it up and then was able to help. Just seemed a bit odd if this is her job. We also tried to find out where they might be showing the big boxing match that was on TV that night and she suggested we call this one place, didn't offer to call herself or have any other suggestions. Not a huge deal, we finally tracked it down ourselves, but not up to par with a resort of this supposed type.

It does have a nice location just a short walk to Canyon Road or to the Plaza area.

Overall, I stay at a range of hotel, almost exclusively 4- and 5-stars and get some great deals and sometimes pay a bit more. For the amount I paid here, I'm really disappointed because of the issues above. if I had paid $100 or $125, I would be a lot more forgiving. I hope they're able to turn around their service (including housekeeping) and get new linens, bedding, fix the water temperature, etc if they're going to charge the prices they are.

I did like that they had bottles of water in the room free of charge (they aren't bottled water, they're in these glass bottles, but all good).

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before settling in as they don't seem to be uniform.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

I am an Event Planner for the ASPCA and in the past year have booked four conferences at the La Posada. We do work all over the US, but we keep going back to Santa Fe specifically to stay at the La Posada. The room rates cannot be beat, the staff always goes above and beyond and the customer service they provide makes my job so much easier. The food is great, the rooms are great, the property is great... everything is just... GREAT! I've planned several conferences there, and each one receives rave reviews and stellar feedback. I have so much trust and confidence in the La Posada, I intend to send as many conferences there as possible. Every event we have planned there has been seamless, easy, and has had excellent reviews from our attendees. I cannot recommend it strongly enough. If you are an event planner, get in touch with Mark Miller ASAP and he will take care of you!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Saint Louis, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

The grounds are beautiful. The walking distance to the Plaza is perfect. The service is slow although the people are pleasant and gracious when you can get them to wait on you. We had a large party of 20+ and had signed a contract. However, once we were there I felt like "we already have your money and we are working on the next check". Our rooms were not what we contracted for. They did eventually get us all moved but we had to request it. We didn't see a "master" bill before leaving although the contract stated we would. The night before we left, after requesting a copy from our "contact" she realized it wouldn't be possible even though the contract said it would be and she had meetings so she wouldn't be able to meet with us before we checked out. We expected a bit more "service" from our contact as that is what we've received on other business trips with this size of party. If you are going as a "couple" and don't require the service needed for a large group, it might be fine.

Room Tip: Request a pool away from the pool. Ask if there will be any large parties as we were right by the r...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I returned to La Posada for a four day stay in late May. I think this may be my 10th visit. It was a wonderful to get back to such a charming resort. I particularily enjoyed the new menu - it really captured the essence of Sant Fe dining. The staff at the property made sure that I felt like an honored guest my entire stay. I will definitely return again. And again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Santa Monica
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

At first observation, the hotel and the grounds are very pretty. It only took a couple of days to realize how poor the service is, especially housekeeping. I asked twice at the front desk to have the batteries changed in my in-room safe so I could use it. No one ever came. Housekeeping did not replace toiletries or tissues until I called the Supervisor. I did not get fresh soap or have my complimentary water bottles refilled. My room was made up late in the afternoon when I wanted to return to the room for a nap or a shower. After complaining about the timeliness, my room was made up in the morning. Also, the glass shower doors were not cleaned until the end of my stay. It was gross. The Concierge was useless. When I asked for his help in booking day trips, he gave me phone numbers and told me I could do it myself. Also, any of the staff working at the front desk were unable to answer the simplest questions, such as "Is there a local market I can go to"? When they didn't know the answer, they didn't bother to find out. Also, the front desk staff didn't know whether Museum Hill was walkable from the hotel. The average age of the front desk staff was 21 years old. They were neither trained properly nor intelligent. Finally, there was a large business group at the hotel for my first four days there. The outdoor patio was reserved for them at breakfast, making it impossible for other guests to get an outdoor table. The space reserved for other guests were a handful of small tables in the bar. And, if indoors, it was impossible to get breakfast service. I resented being treated as less important than the business travelers and resented not being able to enjoy the patio and the weather at breakfast. This was not an inexpensive trip and this hotel was not worth the money.

Room Tip: I do not have any tips, other than my room was at the far side of the property and it was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

We had a great stay at La Posada. All the staff was very friendly and helpful. In addition, our room, a King Suite, was very nice. As is the case in many historic hotels, the room was quirky. But, it was kept spotless by house keeping. Breakfast was great, and the grounds were nice. The location in Santa Fe was perfect. The free car service offered by the hotel was especially appreciated. I would not hesitate to recommend La Posada.

Room Tip: Each room is different, even in the same category. They were more than willing to switch us to anot...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to La Posada de Santa Fe, a Luxury Collection Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!