“Updated Rooms” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
California
“Updated Rooms”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

My family and I stayed at the Hilton Santa Fe for six nights over the 2012 Christmas holidays. The last time we stayed at this Hilton was five years ago. We were very pleased with our rooms as each was very nicely updated. My wife and I had a room with a king-size bed that was up to Hilton standards, and that being very comfortable. The best improvement with the room was the updated full size shower replacing the cramped tub-shower combination. The only complaint is the lack of towel bars in the bathroom; it had only one small one. This is odd as the Hilton asks you to help conserve water by hanging up your towel if it doesn't need to be replaced.

Room Tip: Rooms with a pool view are away from the street noise. Although the street noise is minimal.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Christopher B, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thank you for the review … we will be going back into the new rooms and making final adjustments, so I very much appreciate your comments and have passed them on to our decorating team. We are very committed to water conversation … especially here in Santa Fe. Again thank you!

And I sincerely hope to see you again when you return to Santa Fe .. winter has been just beautiful this year!

654 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Denver, Colorado, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

After a pleasurable but long drive from Los Angeles, we looked forward to a 2-night stay in the king size room we reserved at this centrally located Hilton. We arrived at 6:30pm and went upstairs to our room only to discover that, with no indication or apology from the desk clerk, our king size reservation had been changed to a double/double. When I called the desk clerk she said she was sorry but there had been a mixup in reservations and she didn't have any king size rooms available that night. I had a confirmation number for a king, but it didn't matter. Guests BEWARE -- your choice of room isn't guaranteed at this Hilton just because you have a confirmation number. Also - it should be noted that you'll pay for parking in an outside unimproved parking lot. We left and easily found another hotel where we were treated courteously and with respect. The Hilton name used to stand for quality but my opinion of this chain is greatly diminished!

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
I am so sorry that we failed to meet your expectations. We do try and block every arrival each morning… into the specific room type they have requested. In this case we clearly failed to accomplish that task. We do pride ourselves on our service and I am sorry that we let you and your family down. Please accept my invitation to stay with us on your next visit to Santa Fe … I would like you to actually experience the hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit and I will make it my personal responsibility to make your stay special.

Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

This hotel is OK but was way overpriced for what you get. I “think” we were in the newer section, but still. The layout was weird - the closet was in the bathroom so not very practical when you’re all trying to get ready. The faucet in the bathroom sink was acting up - there was only lukewarm water but no cold or warm water. We told the front desk and they made a note. I doubt it was the first time this problem was reported to them for that room. Three days later, the problem was still there. Then they nickle and dime you on everything, like the exorbitant wi-fi access. Come on. Not very charming for the Plaza. On the plus side, the front desk was extremely helpful with restaurant recommendations and reservations. I would try another hotel next time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Christopher B, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Thank you for your comments and observations… very helpful to our team. We do charge for WiFi as do all the full service hotels in downtown Santa Fe … however we do provide free WiFi in all our public areas including the Restaurants and Bar…and this free service is unique in downtown Santa Fe. I do apologize for not explaining this option to you while you were here, and I will make sure this alternative is added to our Web site as well. Thank you again for your comments and thank you for choosing the Hilton.

Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

We're staying for a week to meet family. Great location and reasonable price too. Service to room and exec club area another thing. Cleaning service to our room is consistently mediocre, with things like not leaving toilet paper, some glasses left dirty in the room, left coffee packet wrappers in the coffee stand, used towels left on floor overlooked.

My spouse travels often enough on business to earn Diamond status, so we had access to the Exec Lounge. The service there was just plain lousy . . . Perhaps "unattended" is a better description. One day, no bowls or spoons for cereal or oatmeal. Every day, the oatmeal consistently goopy and tepid in temperature. (why do I keep trying it? I'm a slow learner I guess.) Since many other people don't seem to clean up after themselves, lots of crumbs and bits on the floor and surfaces. Front desk staff and other staff were very responsive when we made requests, though. Every staff member we came in contact with was friendly and helpful. Go back? Maybe not. I'm ready to try other lodging to see if we can improve upon the Santa Fe experience.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Christopher B, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
I apologize for the poor service. We have discussed this as a team and will adjust our operation accordingly. Our intent is to match the beautiful new rooms with exceptional service and attention to detail. Again I am so sorry that this is not what you experienced … on your next visit to Santa Fe please give us the opportunity to correct this perception. Our new rooms, location and commitment to Hilton’s standard for excellent service will make your next stay a memorable one.

Again thank you for your comments

Quincy, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

We'be stayed at the Santa Fe Hilton twice, each time for five days. The staff is welcoming and friendly. Our rooms have been large and comfy. Housekeeping does a good job. Our last stay in March 2012, part of the hotel was closed off for renovation. Even with work going on we were not bothered by noise. Our room was a bit worn, but was fine, and it was in the next section to be renovated. Next time we stay, I'm sure all the work will be done and the place will really sparkle. Glad to see they are reinvesting in this old property to keep it comfy and convenient for years to come. The on site restaurant, Pinon Grill, is a great spot for breakfast.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments! We will be fully completed with the new rooms by mid February. We have worked hard to make sure the ongoing renovation is as invisible to our guests as possible. Please feel free to contact me directly on your next visit and we will make sure we upgrade you to one of the new rooms, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the new look and design.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

Nice clean hotel comfortable bed good water pressure. I checked in without a reservation at midnight checked in by Perry. He was very accommodating and interested in getting me checked in as quickly as possible. Excellent service! I wil definitely return to the Hilton the next time I'm in Santa Fe.

• Stayed December 2012
Christopher B, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Thank you for your comments … And thank you for your specific comments about Perry which I have passed on to him. Perry has with us for years and is an outstanding example of customer service training and skill. We look forward to your next visit!

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The badly needed renovation of the Santa Fe Hilton has resulted in a dramatic improvement in its guest rooms. I normally stay elsewhere when I am in town, but this was a business trip that required frugality. When I stayed here last in 2010, I could easily have been in a suburban Cleveland or Newark Hilton. Now when you stay at the Hilton in Santa Fe, you’ll know that you are in New Mexico.

Rooms have been redesigned to reflect the hotel’s territorial-style architecture and its rich Hispanic heritage. There is no Pueblo revival going on here. With dark wood furniture, and fabrics and wall coverings in palettes of gold, brown and red, my room was one of the most visually coherent hotel rooms I have ever stayed in.

Questionable design choices among the high quality, dark wood furniture pieces included a white, high-leg dresser whose brass nail head decoration repeated the nail heads used on the corner settee. The settee, a creative and aesthetically interesting use of a room corner, was extremely uncomfortable with its vertical back and short seat. While the embossed leather surface of its coffee table is a perfect example of the attention to detail paid by the room’s designer, most guests won’t find the room’s sitting area an inviting place to relax.

The new bathrooms feature back-lighted mirrors and showers with a frameless, plate glass door and ceramic seat. The tile floor, which continues out into the room’s foyer, resembles short wooden planks, a perfect compliment to the room’s territorial aesthetic. The bath’s three separate switches control the bath’s lighting to show off textured wallpapers in complimentary gold and deep red. Guests will find the bathroom functional with flair.

I noted two problems with the bath however. One was its sliding “barn-type” door that while aesthetically interesting, when fully closed left a two-inch wide opening - top to bottom – through which sounds and smells can easily escape into the room, and children’s curious eyes can see in, perhaps to view mommy – and maybe daddy – in the shower. (Parents with young children might want to bring along a roll of duck tape to seal of this space) The room designer did not think this one through. The other problem was with sink whose faucet neck is either too small or placed too far back on the surface. Be prepared to make a mess on the countertop when you wash your hands.

Business travelers will want to know that while the room’s desk is functional, it lacks an ergonomic chair. I had to sit on two pillows to elevate my frame to typing height. And another thing that you should know is that my door to the hallway did not close automatically as most hotel doors do. I left the first night for dinner thinking that mine did, and when I returned I found that open by over an inch. Fortunately my laptop was still there. I tested the door several times, and the door closed only with a firm push or pull. While rooms have a safe for valuables, some items like laptops won’t fit. So be careful.

Besides the marked improvements in the hotel’s rooms, Hilton Honors members will enjoy a new third floor lounge that is open 24/7 for snacks, and where a continental breakfast and early evening wine and snacks are served daily. And the hotel offers a great location, just a three-minute walk to the plaza.

This renovation was a long time in coming, and except for the glitches that I have noted, the Hilton is definitely a great choice and value in downtown Santa Fe.

Room Tip: As for a room facing Guadalupe St. for some great Santa Fe sunsets.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Christopher B, General Manager at Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for your detailed comments and observations. We are working on make some adjustments to the new rooms as we receive customer feedback. Those rooms that feature the sliding bathroom doors are being adjusted and we are reinstalling the faucets to avoid the back splash issues. Thank you again for your kind comments and we very much look forward to your next visit to Santa Fe

Christopher

Been to Hilton Santa Fe Historic Plaza? Share your experiences!