“Good value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #44 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Denver, Colorado
“Good value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Do you want to be right in the heart of the action for $100 less per night than the hotels nearby? Then choose this place. I stayed with two other people here and for the money, there's apparently no beating this hotel. Of course there are nicer places to stay in Santa Fe, but this place gets 5 stars for the value, and the value is in its cheap price and location. You are a couple doors down from the San Miguel church and a couple minute walk to the main plaza. I found the beds to be pretty comfortable. You get a TV, A/C, comfy beds, a pool, and a great location. If you're a fussy retiree or a yuppy type that wants to be pampered then you might as well drop the extra cash elsewhere, but for a guy like me, this is exactly what I wanted.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

257 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
Fredericksburg, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

We stayed three nights in early June and were very pleased with our experience. The office staff was exceptionally helpful and we wish to thank Leslie, Holden and Lyn Marie for their restaurant suggestions and other advice. The location can't be topped and we would definitely stay here again on future trips to Santa Fe.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

This motel is o.k. and provided me with a central location to explore Santa Fe. The room are somewhat dated but worked well for me- i could park my bike right outside my room door. It was quiet and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The price is good and you get what you pay for. They have a pool for cooling off after a long day of walking around town.

Room Tip: Eat at The Shed for best dinner in town and Aztec 317 for great breakfast/ lunch.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

First of all I arrived a night early and the hotel I had reservations didn't have rooms for the night i stayed. First of all the place is real average, but its clean. I gave it a very good for a friendly staff. It is a little outdated. You have to take into account it's affordability. I could see this being a great place for a family. Also it looked like they do concerts there. Would have been neat to see! Older, but clean and close to a lot of the sights. Friendly Housekeeper was really sweet dropped my bag and was quickly helped to gather up my clothes, and junk. Beds were pretty comfortable.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Castle Rock, CO
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We have stayed at Garrett's several times - it's a few blocks to the plaza - I do agree with other reviewers that they definitely need to do some renovation - this time it really seemed run down - yes the price is right and you can't beat the location but the bathrooms need updating - tattered pool chair pads - towels so rough I thought I was going to get a paper cut from them - the check in person was very nice but the young woman the next day seemed bothered when I was asking for directions - I might stay there again if I hear they have fixed up the place - so if you want a cheap, close place to the plaza this is it - otherwise pay a little more for some luxury

Room Tip: Ask for something in the back - second floor if possible
Denver
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

We stayed here as we were traveling with friends and just trying to go with the flow. The check in was fine, nice young man - answered all our questions. The room was not nice, everything is completely outdated and down right gross. The bathroom, I believe, is original - very old. I didn't even like to shower here. Luckily I brought my own amenities so I didn't have to use whatever it was they provide as soap.
The exterior of the building looks like it's going to crumble at any moment.
The pool was nice for the kids but they need to spend a couple hundred dollars and get new chair pads.
The only thing good about this place is the location.
We are generally resort people, so used to big hotels with lots of amenities. I will not return here.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel. Spend the extra money.
Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

We stayed at this hotel before it is a great location next to Lorado Chapel, the Square, the art district, it's clean even if it needed some upgrades and the staff is really helpful. We were always happy with it until our last visit. I took the children to the pool and there was a party going on which seemed to be all local people. We weren't able to get a table or chairs, the language was inappropriate, so we had to go back to our room. I wondered did they also pay for parking.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Garrett's Desert Inn? Share your experiences!