“Unhip Upscale, But Convenient” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Summer Flair & F&B Credit
Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Las Vegas
“Unhip Upscale, But Convenient”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

My wife and I spent four nights at Eldorado in early November. The clear advantage of this hotel is its location. It's only two blocks from the plaza, the O'Keefe musuem is directly behind it, and Guadalupe street (some fun shops, the farmer markets, some tasty restaurants) is right around the corner. Additionally, the slight distance from the plaza, I think, is a positive as it gives you a little distance from the wandering tourists.

The room itself was pleasant enough. It's spacious and well-designed; it also includes desk space, a small couch, and a coffee table. My wife and I found the mattress to be a little uncomfortable, and the heater/air conditioner had a fairly obnoxious tick that made it somewhat difficult to fall asleep. These were more minor inconveniences rather than deal breakers, however.

You should be aware that the hotel charges $22/night for parking. On the contrary, however, you get free wi-fi and there are plenty of free apples in the lobby.

My wife and I received a discounted rate, which made the room and the hotel as a whole seem well-worth it. However, it should be clear that while this hotel has pretensions of being up-scale, it isn't. There's a creakiness, an aged quality, to the demeanor of this place. They are neither married to some grand tradition nor moving forward as if the hotel is perpetually stuck in 1992.

Perhaps, this last bit of criticism doesn't make sense, and if it doesn't, then I wouldn't worry about it. Book the room in full confidence that you'll have a pleasant stay and will have great access to the heart of Santa Fe.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2010

The El Dorado is a great hotel for seeing the heart of Santa Fe. It's within walking distance of so many wonderful historical sites, shops, great restaurants and the famous plaza for sitting and people-watching. The staff is professional and helpful. The beds are so comfortable and restful! And the Georgia O'Keefe Museum is just across the street!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

The Eldorado provided a superior experience for celebrating my wife's surprise 50th birthday celebration. For a few weeks in advance I corresponded with the hotel staff and coordinated the delivery of numerous cards, emails, and packages to the hotel. Upon our arrival everything had already been placed in our room, along with complimentary sparkling wine. Though on a reduced-rate package, it was apparent that we'd been upgraded to a better room with an expansive balcony patio overlooking the plaza area. Everything about the hotel and staff made for a memorable and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
SF Bay Area, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

Located just 2 blocks from the plaza, this fine hotel met all of our expectations. The service is excellent and our room was very comfortable. Appreciated the free computer access from the Business Center. The Spa is first rate!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Ann Arbor, MI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

I stayed here two days for a conferece. The rooms were spacious . My room overlooked the roof so I can not really comment on the view. Beds had 4 fluffy pillows, flat screen tv, high speed internet (free). Bathroom seems a bit worn, but towels were fluffy!

I think the phones in the room are a bit dated and hard to use if you trying to do a conference call. Also, phones didn't come with a sign which explained how to dial out. I had to guess- I did try calling the front desk but they didn't pick up. Front desk staff were a bit slow during check-in. There were two staff people assisting one guest. I don't know why the one staff member could have stepped aside and checked me in. Elevators are slow. All and all, though, not that bad of a hotel.

Complimentary water and fruit in lobby.

Location is great to downtown santa fe. Literally just walk out the door and cross the street to begin exploring galleries.

I didn't have to pay for parking but parking at this hotel is $19/day.

Spa on site. Heated pool.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Clearwater, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

The only really good thing about the Eldorado is its location to the Plaza. We had booked on line and received a much lower rate or this would have been really aggravating. Even then you expect a certain caliber of room when booking into a location with $500.00 rooms. The lobby is great, good first impression. The carpeting in the hallways looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in several months. Not just dirty, but stained and worn. The furnishings in the rooms were very low budget. The bed was comfortable but certainly you would have found the same quality of furnishings in any local Best Western. I have stayed in LaQuinta'a with better beds and a higher standard of furnishings. Also the style was not indicative of the traditional New Mexico. We were there for Fiesta. The bar closed very early each night. We had the Sunday Breakfast Buffet, I believe it was $19 or $20 including your beverage. When I revceived my bill they had added $8 for our coffees. The food was cold and the selection very poor. We had considered having dinner there the night before and were so glad we had not gone to the expense of eating there based on breakfast. The staff is very nice and helpful. We spoke with a few of them that had been there for several years. They indicated that the hotel had been bought out by a large corporation. You could tell that they too were disappointed in the current conditon.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
CoolTrip101, General Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 11, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review in regard to your experiences while a guest at the Eldorado Hotel & Spa. The feedback we receive from our guests is our most valuable tool in our efforts toward continuous improvement in the products and services we offer.

Please accept my sincere apology for the problems experienced while a guest at our hotel. I would like to especially apologize for the fact that you were not satisfied with your breakfast in the Old House Restaurant. I would also like to apologize for the extra charges that were mistakenly added to your bill. In regard to the room rate, was that amount for the entire stay? We do not have any rooms priced at rate of $500 per night. Still, the level of service you received clearly did not live up to the standards you have come to expect from the Eldorado Hotel & Spa, and we are not commensurate with our goal that every guest leave satisfied.

Guest satisfaction is our number one priority. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This information will be shared with our managers and associates and corrective measures will be taken immediately. Thank you for your time in this matter.
Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

My stay at the Eldorado Hotel this past week was outstanding. The hotel feels like a four star property but the rates per night were under $200/night. Excellent service, clean rooms, great spa, wonderful restaurant. Can't say enough about this place. If you go to Santa Fe you should consider staying at the Eldorado. I was there for business and stayed in a lot of hotels -- this one is a keeper and I will be back with my wife for a vacation some day.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!