“Great four-night stay! Negative reviewers must've been staying elsewhere.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Eldorado Hotel & Spa

You added Eldorado Hotel & Spa to your Saves list
Eldorado Hotel & Spa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   309 W San Francisco St, Santa Fe, NM 87501 (Downtown)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Columbia, South Carolina
“Great four-night stay! Negative reviewers must've been staying elsewhere.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

We stayed at the Eldorado for a four-night extended Labor Day weekend. My wife and I are experienced travelers who usually stay in premium, full-service properties or upscale B&Bs. You might even say we’re picky. We have only good things to say about the Eldorado Hotel and found no basis for any of the negative reviews posted here. This was one of our favorite trips ever. Located only about a three-block walk from the Historic Plaza, the hotel has great rates for AAA and AARP members which include coupons for a terrific full breakfast buffet every morning. The coupons say "Continental Breakfast" on them, but we were pleasantly surprised to find that a full breakfast bar, including hot and cold items and all beverages, was provided. You also have the option of ordering from the menu and paying any price difference, but we saw no reason to do that. Our breakfast bar each day offered a made-to-order omelet station, hot oatmeal with granola and fresh fruit, eggs, bacon, sausage links, waffles, smoked salmon, hash brown potatoes, pastries, and toast. We chose a standard room without a fireplace (these are called "deluxe" by the hotel) and found it to be entirely adequate for the price. Rooms equipped with fireplaces and junior suites are substantially more expensive. The hotel treated us to a complimentary bottle of bubbly when I told an agent (two days ahead of our arrival) that we were celebrating our anniversary. The room was comparable in size and quality to what you would expect in any quality full-service hotel like Westin, Hilton or Hyatt. It was comfortably furnished with a king-sized bed, a chest, a desk and chair, lounge chair and sofa, coffee table, and refrigerator. Plush robes are provided. Decor was not cookie-cutter -- definitely New Mexican -- colorful and interesting, but tasteful and not garish. Bathroom was of an adequate size but not large, with newer granite vanity top and matching granite wall tile around the combination tub-shower. Other amenities included an above-average workout room, a business center, and a pool deck with heated pool and hot tub. The pool was small, but we did not mind. The hotel also offers spa services (massages, etc.) which we did not use. We had breakfast in the restaurant but did not eat there for lunch or dinner. The lobby lounge has live entertainment on weekends, and we really enjoyed the band we heard on Saturday night (Sept. 4). Service at the Eldorado is impeccable. We found the staff friendly and helpful and eager to make our stay as enjoyable as possible. We made use of the concierge service to advise us on things to do and provide maps and other guidance. The concierge service also assisted me with rental of a mobility scooter. We also found the bell service to be friendly, prompt and polite. The restaurant staff and the lounge bar staff were equally eager to please. Housekeeping was also very good. We really liked the hotel, but it was the service that made the experience an exceptional one. My wife and I would love to return to Santa Fe soon, and we could not recommend the hotel any more highly. It is truly a gem and a great value for the money. We will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

i spent quite a bit of research time since this vacations was an "out of the nest experience" one that my husband and I would share (without children) as a romantic getaway.
I was so relieved that we made the right choice. Overall, the reviews for the Eldorado hotel seemed pretty good but a few negative ones made me second guess. I was looking for a very quiet space, clean and one with a pool and hot tub. I was definitely put to ease once we landed, entered the hotel and met the staff as well as our specific room.
The location was great since it was just a few block from the plaza and the museums. It was quiet, clean and for a three night stay, we were good. The bedding was wonderful but the mattress was pretty soft. Maybe that varies room to room. The rooms were spacious and the lighting was great. The dark curtains allowed a sleeping space throughout the morning. The hot tub was available and I used it every day/night with out the crowd. The house Margaritas are the best. Enjoy!

Greenwich, Connecticut
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

We decided to try a new hotel on this most recent trip to Santa Fe, and were not disappointed.

Thank you to Julia (Front Desk), John (from Cody, WY; Bell Desk), Anne (substitute Concierge), Susan (Spa) and Phil (Hair Stylist) - - - all of whom made the experience special. Thank you, also, to breakfast staff, especially the amazing young hostess from Germany and ERICKA! We hope that the management of the hotel realizes that tourists have many choices when it comes to lodging, and the staff can make ALL of the difference. Because of you, we will be back. (HR - you know how to pick 'em!)

The room was clean and comfortable; not entirely noiseproof, but adequate. Bathroom was an OK size. Shower had a nice showerhead/water pressure. Housekeeping did a good job (although the tiny rooftop pool area was not cleared of old dishes/trays and used towels between at least 6 pm and 11 am the following day on at least one occasion.) Anticipation of the valet parking is more of a chore than the actual experience... Most times, we had our car within five minutes; just be sure to carry lots of singles in your purse. The buffet breakfast was among the nicest we have experienced in Santa Fe.

We have found our new hotel in Santa Fe. Out with the old, and in with the new!

2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010 via mobile

Stayed at the El Dorado with my wife and two children this August. Called in advance on our way into town, booked the room, and advised that we would be needing a baby crib in our room. We were assured the crib would be in the room when we got in. Upon arrival, we were required to valet park (no self parking) and pay an additional $18 / day parking fee ! After trying to get assistance from a bellman to unload our luggage and baby gear (a significant amount, we have a 2 year old and an 8 month old), we were given a bellcart and left to unload everything ourselves. I also ended up having to push said bellcart loaded with gear up to our room myself because there was no assistance available. Not too impressive so far. Upon entering the room, no baby crib. A call to the front desk assured us that it was on it's way up. Long story short, we called 4 (that's FOUR) seperate times for the crib, and it never showed up. Here's where it gets bizarre. Upon arrival in our room, I opened the mini-fridge and found it completely stuffed full of bath towels. Huh ? Perhaps some kind of new cold towel service for guests when the AC is on the blink ? Never seen anything like that before.

The room was nicely decorated, however, it was small compared to other similarly priced hotels. Also, the fixtures in the bathroom were practically falling off the wall, and there were chips in the sink and counter areas.

A charge for Wi-Fi ? Come on guys, even Best Western has free Internet access !

The cherry on top came when we received our bill for our stay, the El Dorado charged us $200 more than the rate they had quoted us on the phone. Unbelievable. We finally got it all straightened out, but only after wasting a great deal of time on the phone with a less than competent staff.

A.A.A rates this as a 4 diamond hotel in their trip book. I will certainly be posting a letter to them as well to clarify that oversight.

Perhaps they should rename it the "Hell-Dorado" ?

Will not stay again and will not recommend to others.

C.M.
Yorba Linda, CA

• Stayed August 2010
CoolTrip101, General Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 3, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review in regard to your experiences while a guest at the Eldorado Hotel & Spa. The feedback we receive from our guests is our most valuable tool in our efforts toward continuous improvement in the products and services we offer.

Please accept my sincere apology for the problems experienced while a guest at our hotel! I would like to apologize for the fact that after many attempts staff did not deliver a crib to your room. I would also like to apologize for that fact that bell staff did not help you with all your luggage and you actually had to both load the cart and take the items up to your room. Please be assured that the information shared has been brought to our managers’ attention and corrective measures have been taken.

Guest satisfaction is our number one priority. Thank you for your time in this matter.
Parker, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

My wife and I traveled to Santa Fe N.Mex. for the week-end and we chose the Eldorado Hotel and Spa. What a pleasant surprise it was for us this hotel is a 5 star hotel and was great. Our experience started with the valet and went on to the rest of the staff which were extremely friendly and bent over backwards to be accommodating. The lobby, restaurants, hall ways are enormous with high ceilings. The furniture is in the traditional old southwest style. The bathrooms in the rooms are very roomy, the air conditioning is cold, and the hot water is and stays hot. Rooms are of good size.
The hotel is within walking distance of the Plaza which was very convenient. I would highly recommend this hotel

arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Have stayed at Eldorado for years. During that time, I had really good experiences and some not so good. There is an inconsistency with the rates, service, room quality, etc. Over the last year or so, I've notices amenities in the rooms have been reduced, no more mini-bar, you have to pay for wi-fi in the room, no more use of the breakfast coupons (which you get with AAA) in the rooms just the restaurant, the bath amenities aren't as nice, some of the rooms I've been put into have toilet paper and towel racks that are falling off the wall, cracks in the sinks, loose faucets, stains on the carpeting and upholstery, chipped furniture, dirty phones, the complimentary books in the rooms are worn and have food stains on them. I have to take handi-wipes to the things I will be touching, the phone, radio, as things just haven't been wiped down. The sheets on the beds are so badly pilled due to wear that they are uncomfortable. I don't understand the high marks alot of the reviewers give the Eldorado? Maybe because I've stayed there alot, I've noticed the decline more. I stay there because they allow dogs. But now that other hotels in Santa Fe are starting to allow dogs, I will be going elsewhere. It's sad to me because I really liked the Eldorado back in the day!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2010

Under no circumstance would I ever stay there again. They say they are a luxury 4star hotel when in fact they are barely a 2 star hotel. I have stayed in nicer hotels at half of the price.
They also do not tell you on there web site that your cell phones do not work In the hotel unless you are lucky enough to get the top floor or a balcony. The rooms are SMALL l and nothing special, not the luxury rooms they describe. Our room had a small bathroom with a cracked sink, cracked mirror and cracked floor tiles. Hardly luxurious. When we got to our room we realized we did not have enough towel for 3 people and called the front desk as we left for dinner to request another set of towels. Upon our return from dinner the towels had not arrived so we had to call again. Room service also failed to get our breakfast order correct 2 days in row, even though we called down after each incorrect order and on the third day we ordered our breakfast the night before for 730 a.m. and our order was delivered half an hour late. On the forth day we decided to just eat breakfast in the dining room . The staff was not what you would expect from a 4 star hotel. The concierge was excellent and planned two fabulous site seeking tours for us outside the city.
We should have listen to the trip advisor reviews. We won't that mistake again.
We checked out a day early and went to Albuquerque and stayed a hotel that was a third of the price. The rooms were much nicer and the staff very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!