“Should've Been A Wedding Crasher!” 4 of 5 stars

Santa Fe Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Diego, California
“Should've Been A Wedding Crasher!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I was doing business in Santa Fe, which coincided with my daughter's (9 + 11) Spring Break so I brought them with me. When we booked our flight's on American Airlines, we also booked the reservations on www.AA.com. I was really pleased with the rate, and have stayed at other Preferred Properties in the past, so I was really looking forward to the stay... little did I know there was going to be a wedding party in the room next to us on Saturday night!

Here's some particulars that you might find helpful:
- The room was good. Spacious, clean, modern and the cleaning staff was meticulous.
- The restaurant is top notch. The waiter was surprised that I was there with two kids on a Sunday night, but we didn't want to brave the elements and venture out (About 4" of snow fell overnight). While I didn't feel the "love" from the waiter (I think he was more interested in the "adult" tables who were spending more/buying more alcohol, he did allow my girls to create off-menu items like an alfredo pasta dish).
- The valet's are great! They were single handedly the best part of the trip. They provided the "insiders" knowledge that made our trip successful.
- The fitness center was great!
- The location is great! Two blocks from the square, Georgia O'Keefe Museum was 12 steps out the back door.
- I called in advance and asked about the pool being heated. "No problem. The pool is heated." was the response. We got there and the pool was nowhere near heated, but the hot tub was great!
- Guest Services was really helpful... See below for more details.
- Front desk was average. I inquired if there was an upgrade available and the check-in clerk blew me off!
- Concierge was extremely helpful! She even called several art galleries looking for the artist I knew!

Ok, now that we got that out of the way let's talk about where the wheels fell off during our stay. On Saturday evening there was a wedding in the hotel. Little did I know that the bride and groom were staying in the room next to us. Not bad in and of itself (I mean, we didn't hear anything obnoxious!), but who would have thought that the they would have invited everyone at the reception to their honeymoon suite for an after-reception party? I called down to the guest services to complain and they sent security up right away, maybe too right away! I guess all the guests weren't at the after-party yet! I ended up calling back down to Guest Services again and they sent two security folks up. Things quieted down, but the disappointing part was that the next morning my daughter overheard the front desk clerks saying that the party in room 402 was crazy!

Here's my disconnect with the whole thing... If I have a client that complains one time I contact them to see what I can do to assist them as the owner of the company. I called down twice and never got a call from the hotel manager... WEAK! They knew I was hot and hid behind the Guest Services personnel. Again, real WEAK!

Bottom line recommendation... If you are staying the weekend, inquire about weddings being held in the hotel. If traveling with kids and you eat in the restaurant, I am not certain how much you need to spend in order to feel the "love." The hotel's location is great, but I've had better service at the La Fonda and Loretto in town.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Even though I was on business, my stay at the Eldorado was beyond expectations compared to other hotels I have stayed in. The staff made me feel like I was "home". The rooms were very neat and clean. The food was excellent! I enjoyed my stay very much. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling to the Santa Fe area.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2010

Rooms were large and clean. Hotel is centrally located. However, the hotel is overpriced and the spa services are mediocre.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
zdanielle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

First the pros: The location is excellent, very convenient to the Plaza and various tourist attractions of Santa Fe. The room was one of the lower priced ones at a conference rate but it was clean, tastefully decorated, and the bed was very comfortable. We had a nice view. The bathrobes were nice, and we had plenty of towels. The room did have an slight chemical odor that I couldn't quite identify, but the hallways and lobby smell great, like most of Santa Fe. I think it's mesquite smoke from the fireplaces. The restaurant was quite good with excellent service, but I thought a little overrated at 4 stars. The waiter in the lobby lounge was quite friendly and made good recommendations on places to eat and things to do.
Cons: The front desk staff is young and haughty. Valet parking is basically paying for an inconvenience. You have to call down and ask the snooty young things at the front desk to call for your car, then wait around for 5-10 minutes before you get it. We decided to park on the street after one night in the garage. In the winter that was quite easy to do. In busier season the valet parking is probably worth the $18 plus tips per night to park. We were charged for parking every night, however, and it required 3 calls to the front desk to get those parking fees credited. Our flight out was cancelled and we asked to stay an extra 2 nights. The front desk clerk tried to raise our rates by $40 a night, but was quickly overruled by a manager. We also got locked out of our room on the first extra night and needed to get keys reprogrammed. When I went to the front desk to get this taken care of, there was a line of other patrons with the same problem. Basically everything works out okay in the end but you have to be vigilant, not exactly the attitude one likes to take when staying at a "spa!" I think the young staff just needs a lot more training in customer service.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Boulder, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

The moment I entered our room at El Dorado I was blown away by the lovely view, the kiva, the deep bathtub, the vanity station, and the large, comfortable bed. My boyfriend and I kicked off our shoes and jackets, tossed our luggage on the floor and headed downstairs for dinner at their in-hotel restaurant, The Old House. When we returned, we found that the maid staff had hung up our coats, put our luggage in the closet and organized the odds and ends we had dumped about the room. Amazing! We had the hotel staff light the kiva, and while it was a nice fire, later that night we awoke to a very smoky room. I guess there was a downdraft that shed a fine layer of ash on everything within 8 feet of the kiva fireplace. The spa was very relaxing and luxurious. The service in the hotel we found to be very attentive and courteous. Our room was quiet and spacious. The hotel is located within walking distance of downtown Santa Fe, and you don't need a car to explore many of its art galleries, restaurants, or historic points of interest. I would stay at the El Dorado again, but would probably keep the kiva unlit.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Myrtle Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2010

I took my wife and 13 year old daughter for a 3 day seminar at the hotel and we scheduled 3 days at the end for R&R. Very nice hotel in wonderful location. We didn't need the car. Our room had a balcony with gorgeous view of nearby hills and more distant mountains. The hotel was quiet and the staff accommodating. Had dinner one night and breakfast one morning in Old House. It was good, but not great. Rooftop pool was small, but neat and uncrowded.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

I stayed at the Eldorado Hotel because my sister won a trip. I upgraded our room to a deluxe for $80.00/nt. Do not go by the pictures on the website, they are very deceiving. Our second day there, directly after our wonderful massages at the Nidah Spa, there was an elevator incident that was quite frightening and had us stuck in the elevator for some 25 minutes or more. We were told by hotel management that they were going to take care of our spa treatments and schedule us new ones in addition, they were also going to cover the upgrade to our room. We seemed to come to an agreement and were quite happy about it, upon our checkout, the front desk clerk handed us our bill and told us that everything was taken care of per the hotel Manager. That is when I thought "this is a very classy hotel". Once home, as I was looking at my credit card bill, much to my surprise, they charged me for our spa treatments. I am still wrangling with the manager about it. I would not recommend this hotel to any of my business associates, nor would I recommend this hotel to family or friends. I would however recommend The Old House Restaurant and the Nidah Spa...They are very definitely in a class of their own. It's just a shame that they are affiliated with this particular hotel. By the way, the front dest clerks and the valet were very accomodating. The location of the hotel was within walking distance to all shopping and the decor was typical southwest. I wish I would have had a better experience. I will let all of you know how my discussions with the management goes.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
CoolTrip101, Managing Director at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 18, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to post a review in regard to your experiences while a guest at the Eldorado Hotel & Spa. The feedback we receive from our guests is our most valuable tool in our efforts toward continuous improvement in the products and services we offer.

Please accept my sincere apology for the fact that the elevator stopped and you were stuck in it for more than 25 minutes! Our elevators are on a maintenance contract and are therefore maintained regularly. Still, when there is a problem elevators stop as a safety mechanism. Even though we feel that you were compensated appropriately, the level of service you received clearly did not live up to the standards you have come to expect from the Eldorado Hotel & Spa, and we are not commensurate with our goal that every guest leave satisfied.

Guest satisfaction is our number one priority. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. This information will be shared with our managers and associates and corrective measures will be taken immediately. Thank you for your time in this matter.

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!