“Centrally located” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Surrey
“Centrally located”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

The Eldorado is located in the centre of Santa Fe, walking distance to museums, the Plaza and
Canyon Road. The shuttle to the Santa Fe Opera stops at the door. The staff were friendly and helpful with requests. The room was large and the bed was very comfortable with European style bedding. A convenient refrigerator and tea-coffee machine with daily refills of coffee were provided. I found that I needed to let the housekeepers know that the room needed attention otherwise the room would not be made up until late afternoon or later. Both the hotel lounge and the restaurant were uninviting and I took advantage of the breakfast cafés nearby. I did use the spa facilities and although the staff was very nice, the place could do with some updating and a good cleaning.

The internet was free but not functioning. There was a much stronger signal from a nearby hotel that was usable.

My general impression is that the hotel although very well located, is somewhat overpriced.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor experienced noise from the swimming pool, not from swimmers but from the filt...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear SurreyGoldfinch,
Thank you for your feedback and review. I am glad that you liked the location of the hotel. I am also glad that you enjoyed the amenities provided in the room I am sorry that you did not like the lounge in the hotel. We are going to update this area and bring back live entertainment to this space. I look forward to your return and to share the updated space with you.
Max

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Chappaqua, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2014

We enjoyed our stay at the Eldorado. We liked the mix of southwestern and modern style. Room was large, clean and bed was very comfortable. The pool is tiny but is fine for lounging, relaxing and a quick dip. Staff was overall nice, accommodating and helpful. Only ate breakfast there, which was good, but we wanted to get fresh omelettes made at the buffet and the chef was MIA.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear SuzanneZ,
Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you liked the décor of the hotel and that the staff was accommodating and helpful. We usually do not have a buffet in the morning but we can definitely make fresh omelets for you. I hope to welcome you back to the Eldorado Hotel and Spa and Heritage Hotels and Resorts
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

Justin at the front desk was very helpful and friendly, checked us in even though I arrived a little early. He also straightened out our bill when there was an error and always greeted us by name during our stay. Irene and Keith did our massages at the spa and they were both terrific!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Lisa D, Spa Director at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Dear Phyllis,
So glad to hear you enjoy our massage therapists. I will be sure to pass this along to them!
New Orleans, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Beautiful luxury hotel. Great location. Clean rooms. Friendly staff. However, about midnight, a bellman opened the door to our room to bring in another guest's luggage. The desk had given him our room number and a key to our room. The safety latch stopped him and he apologized. It was a mix up at the desk but a little scary. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Lucydog2013,
Thank you for your review. I am glad that you had an enjoyable time with us. I am sorry about the mix up that happen to you. I have looked into this and can assure you that we have taken steps to correct the mistake. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Eldorado Hotel and Spa again soon,
Braintree, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

We had a four night stay. This is a good hotel, but it has some issues. The positives include location and a nice Southwestern design and atmosphere. It is a short walk to the Plaza and downtown museums and sites. Most of the staff were delightful young people. John, the friendly doorman, is a real asset to the hotel. The concierge was very knowledgeable and helpful. The Agave bar has a nice vibe and reasonable prices. Our room was quite large (but you might ask because others complained.

On the negative side, we had reserved a room with a King bed and instead got a room with 2 doubles. The room had a clogged drain in the tub and it is impossible to believe that it was not noticed by housekeeping before we arrived. There was one older female desk clerk who was about the rudest person I have ever encountered and who should not be in the hospitality business. She clearly does not enjoy her job. We parked at the public lot kitty corner to the hotel, but were nonetheless charged $24 per night for parking. This seems to be hotel policy and it is outrageously dishonest. The hotel seems to be about ready for some updating. The hallway carpets seemed fairly dirty. Fitness and pool facilities are quite small.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Although staying with my brother forty-five minutes away in Placitas, we were tempted into staying over my birthday night at Eldorado Hotel, thanks to a Travel Zoo coupon that gave a substantial discount. You might think that the hotel would cut corners for cheapskates like me, but such was not the case. In fact, the receptionist reminded me the coupon comes with a $25 credit for the restaurant or spa, which I had forgotten.

We used it for breakfast the next morning. The Old House Restaurant (once rated the best in New Mexico) had obscenely huge servings, usually a pet peeve of mine as giant servings are frequently a cover for mediocre quality. Not here. The huevos rancheros and goat cheese fritata were perfectly done. Sadly, we left food on our plates. We just couldn’t eat it all. They had little jars of DIckinson’s preserves (founded in 1897) on the table, but we didn’t take them, as I’m cutting down on sugar (the first ingredient).

The hotel itself could have been a disappointment, a faded relic of former glory. But it wasn’t. It extends a city block, with a huge lobby area, and large areas at the elevator on each floor. The carpeting is colorful, southwestern in theme, and admittedly a little beat up here and there. But that was really the only indication of its age. The lobby level has many shops and walls filled with art work.

Across the street is the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, and the Plaza is two blocks away.
Yes, we took all the Gilchrist and Soames toiletries, and the bath cap, the coffee packets, and some paper coffee cups with lids (convenient when traveling). We never used the fluffy white bathrobes, but I did use the iron and ironing board to look sharp for my birthday dinner at Geronimo (a separate review).

The concierge was helpful in giving directions. I’m sure dogs appreciated the large bowls with water for them. If I weren’t so cheap. I would gladly come back here at full price. It’s a lovely place to stay. But more likely, I’ll wait for another Travel Zoo coupon. What can be better than luxury at half the price?

I always puzzle at reviews that say the staff was terrible when I had a wonderful experience. Everyone was charming and friendly and performed their service admirably.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Robert F,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and rate us on your experience. I am glad to hear that you had a great experience with everybody that you met during your stay. I glad to hear that you also had a great experience in our Old House restaurant. Now that you have re-found your hotel of choice, I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the not so distant future.
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This spa hotel is the comfort and luxury you look for when you are visiting Santa Fe New Mexico.
The location is central and walkable to everything. The rooms are quiet even if you are overlooking the street. The pillow top beds were so comfortable they made it difficult to get out of bed. From arrival to departure they take care of your requests. The dinning is superb. Very well operated Hotel

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Kathy S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on the Eldorado Hotel. I am happy to hear that you truly enjoyed your experience with us. Now that you have found your hotel to stay at when visiting Santa Fe. I only hope that you can visit us again in the not so distant future.
Max

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!