“Affordable Luxury” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
San Antonio, Texas
“Affordable Luxury”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Although staying with my brother forty-five minutes away in Placitas, we were tempted into staying over my birthday night at Eldorado Hotel, thanks to a Travel Zoo coupon that gave a substantial discount. You might think that the hotel would cut corners for cheapskates like me, but such was not the case. In fact, the receptionist reminded me the coupon comes with a $25 credit for the restaurant or spa, which I had forgotten.

We used it for breakfast the next morning. The Old House Restaurant (once rated the best in New Mexico) had obscenely huge servings, usually a pet peeve of mine as giant servings are frequently a cover for mediocre quality. Not here. The huevos rancheros and goat cheese fritata were perfectly done. Sadly, we left food on our plates. We just couldn’t eat it all. They had little jars of DIckinson’s preserves (founded in 1897) on the table, but we didn’t take them, as I’m cutting down on sugar (the first ingredient).

The hotel itself could have been a disappointment, a faded relic of former glory. But it wasn’t. It extends a city block, with a huge lobby area, and large areas at the elevator on each floor. The carpeting is colorful, southwestern in theme, and admittedly a little beat up here and there. But that was really the only indication of its age. The lobby level has many shops and walls filled with art work.

Across the street is the Georgia O’Keeffe Museum, and the Plaza is two blocks away.
Yes, we took all the Gilchrist and Soames toiletries, and the bath cap, the coffee packets, and some paper coffee cups with lids (convenient when traveling). We never used the fluffy white bathrobes, but I did use the iron and ironing board to look sharp for my birthday dinner at Geronimo (a separate review).

The concierge was helpful in giving directions. I’m sure dogs appreciated the large bowls with water for them. If I weren’t so cheap. I would gladly come back here at full price. It’s a lovely place to stay. But more likely, I’ll wait for another Travel Zoo coupon. What can be better than luxury at half the price?

I always puzzle at reviews that say the staff was terrible when I had a wonderful experience. Everyone was charming and friendly and performed their service admirably.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Dear Robert F,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and rate us on your experience. I am glad to hear that you had a great experience with everybody that you met during your stay. I glad to hear that you also had a great experience in our Old House restaurant. Now that you have re-found your hotel of choice, I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the not so distant future.
Max

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

This spa hotel is the comfort and luxury you look for when you are visiting Santa Fe New Mexico.
The location is central and walkable to everything. The rooms are quiet even if you are overlooking the street. The pillow top beds were so comfortable they made it difficult to get out of bed. From arrival to departure they take care of your requests. The dinning is superb. Very well operated Hotel

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear Kathy S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review on the Eldorado Hotel. I am happy to hear that you truly enjoyed your experience with us. Now that you have found your hotel to stay at when visiting Santa Fe. I only hope that you can visit us again in the not so distant future.
Lake Mary, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The Eldorado has a very nice location convenient to the plaza area shops, restaurants. The property itself is well maintained but the rooms are very small. We had a balcony room but that was very misleading, the balcony was so narrow you could barely sit comfortably and the wall was so hight that it obstructed your view.

The rooftop pool is a joke - smaller than the backyard pool most people have at home. Again, like the "balcony" it was disappointing and misleading.

Positives - we had room service several times for breakfast and dinner and the food was very good and the service very prompt.

SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear SambaJones,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the Eldorado Hotel and Spa. I am glad that you found the hotel to be conveniently located for your visit to Santa Fe. I am also glad to hear that you enjoyed room service as well as the staff. I am sorry that you were disappointed about the size of the pool. Unfortunately we are restricted with the space that we have.

Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

The hotel is in a great location and the facilities are nice. Also, some of the staff are very nice and helpful. As others have noted, it is definitely used for a lot of conferences, which made it less attractive to me as a traveler, as I felt like we were not an important part of their business (this didn't have to be the case, but that's how it felt).
More importantly, though, was that there were several instances of terrible service that make me want to give this hotel zero stars, but I can't do that so they are getting one star.
I was traveling with my mother and kids. My mother, who is 75, was very clear about asking for a quiet room. So I was surprised when they put her in a room adjacent to where they were holding an outdoor concert until 10. She had been ready to switch hotels but decided not to when she found out the concert was over at 10.
She should have switched. That morning they had checked in a family with a 1 year old and a 3 year old next door, and she was awakened by them screaming for hours at 6:30. I know we were all kids once and all kids cry, but in a hotel of that size, is it really necessary to put a room with four people, including two young children, next to someone who has specifically requested a quiet room? I think the error here is one of omission: don't bill yourself as a nice vacation hotel if you are not going to honor simple guest requests. Don't respond that you will honor the request if you don't have any intention or ability to do so. I would expect this type of thing at a motel chain, but not at a nicer hotel.
I talked to the front desk staff, wanting to explain what happened and hopefully at least get her a credit for the night. One guy was polite but clearly unwilling to lift a finger to help. One woman was incredibly hostile, glaring, spitting out words, contradicting her co-worker. She clearly had NO PLACE in the hospitality business.
In closing, there are plenty of hotels in Santa Fe ... find one where you will be treated well.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear maggie k,

Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review regarding the Eldorado Hotel and Spa. I apologize that you did not enjoy your experience with us. I would love to have the opportunity to speak to you further regarding your stay with us. My direct number at the hotel is 505 995-4522 My hope is that you will give us another chance so that we may provide you with the level of service that you expect from a hotel like ours.

Saint Paul, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

Recently stayed for a couple of nights. Ideally located on San Francisco Ave. In the heart of downtown Santa Fe, NM this property is well maintained and well staffed. The king room was plenty big and recently updated. The entire staff from the front desk personnel to the parking garage attendants could not have been more friendly or helpful. Within walking distance of the Plaza, St. Francis of Assissi church, and even the galleries on Canyon Road. Roof top pool is nice. A bit small if you happen to have kids in tow. Wonderful spa with all of the essential treatments available and very easy to schedule an appointment. Overnight parking is a bit spendy, but getting in and out is speedy and efficient. The Agave Lounge has a great happy hour that is a welcome reiief after a day of exploring the city. Don't pass up the wonderful artwork from local artists adorning the walls of the main floor and lobby area. Would definitely stay again on a future visit.

SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 19, 2014
Dear t-bonetraveller,
Thank you taking the time to review us. I am happy to hear that you have found your hotel of choice when visiting the “City Different”. We take pride in trying to deliver the level of service that our guests demand from us. I am happy to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. With the hotel only 2 blocks from the plaza and near to shops and restaurants, the hotel is close to everything in downtown Santa Fe. I hope that you are planning your next visit to Santa Fe so that we can welcome you back.
Dublin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2014

We arrived without a booking and were greater with the upmost professionalism by Jennifer, in reception. We were shown 3 different room types, so we could choose our preferred option and we went for a junior suite, which was fantastic. The reception area is one of the best I have ever seen and I have seen quite a few. The concierge was also very helpful and advised us on places to go and things to see. John, the doorman / porter was clearly part of the overall tone of the hotel and was also consistent with our experience. Indeed, there were 2 John's in the same role and they were both fantastic !!!

If there is one piece of advice is to check the bill and make sure that the charges are accurate. We had problems checking out and the receptionist (unfortunately Jennifer was not working) was so inexperienced that he could not reverse a charge that was not ours. He was friendly and courteous and eventually had to pass us onto another receptionist, who was able to deal with the change, that was over 100 Dollars.

Key to the hotel is the location. It is2 minutes from the very busy side of town, so quiet and still very convenient.

I would defiantly stay again..........thanks all.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear CPKONE,
Thank you taking the time to review us. I am glad to hear that the staff made you feel welcome. I have shared your remarks with Jennifer and both John’s. I am sorry that you has an issue with check out. I hope that you have found your hotel of choice when visiting Santa Fe.
I look forward to welcoming you back, when you visit us again.

Oceanside, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Sorry, I don't usually write negative reviews, but I have to here. This hotel is HUGE, nicely appointed with art all around. And it was a huge disappointment. In the descriptions, the hotels should add if the premises is strongly used for conferences. So this was a very conferency hotel, and not the quaint, quietness you would expect from this town. I was here on gallery business, and not for a conference. Let me begin with the rooms. There are a kazillion rooms and it was like a Vegas hotel walk of a mile to get to one's room. Next, the rooftop pool. For such a large hotel, the pool, well, we thought it was a spa, and not a pool. Very tiny for a hotel of this size!! Weird. Next, the restaurant in the hotel. The service was abysmal. We waited almost an hour for our breakfast. The waiter was apologetic and gave us $30 off our bill. At checkout, we were charged the full amount, even though we signed the reduced bill. When I mentioned it to the front desk, I was treated bruskly by a tall blonde woman. Not friendly as it was a mistake of the hotel. One more thing: I mentioned I was here on gallery business. I am an artist that had a number of valuable paintings in the back of my vehicle for my appointment with the galleries. The vehicles are mandatory valee service. Upon requesting the vehicle the next day before my appointment, I found the car was not only unlocked, but the keys were on top of the wheel! I would also like to mention that I am a person that tips well for expected service. Somehow, this doesn't seem to have any effect anymore. They had "run out of boxes", was the excuse. I would hate to imagine if an insurance issue had ensued! I would be happy if the hotel would respond accordingly, and possibly reduce my bill for all the inconvenience.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
SFDap, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Dear Anita L,

Max

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!