“Enjoyed lots but also lots they should look into approving” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Remodel Complete!
Ranked #23 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Enjoyed lots but also lots they should look into approving”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Stayed for 5 nights 2nd week of February for pleasure. Desk/Door/Concierge friendly and very welcoming. Concierge gave super restaurant recommendations, wanted French & Italian on various nights, and her suggestions were more than just spot on they were perfect. Good breakfast each morning in the restaurant off the lobby. Room was spotless and daily housekeeping service was excellent. Location perfect, it's all out the front door that you can walk to.

Unfortunately the two nights I had dinner via room service I had some issues. Super pasta dish with a cream sauce and chicken tasted wonderful, however it was just barely warm, which can happen via room service. Tasted so good I ordered it 3 days later but it too was barely warm. When I let the very polite young lady in each evening I saw her pulling the dish out of a box under a rolling table parked outside my door that had some type of flaming thing in it,so who knows what the problem was. 2nd time there wasn't a breadbasket on my tray, felt awfully high maintenance calling down asking for it, but when I did I think it was in a minute that a manager knocked on my door with the bread, and profusely apologized. That tells me they obviously train their staff with customer satisfaction in mind.

First night I enjoyed the jacuzzi on the roof. Second time i went to use it but it wasn't working heat/jets. Called down to let them know. Promptly a maintenance guy showed up. I figured I'd get in the sauna to warm up till he could fix the jacuzzi then I realized the sauna wasn't working either. When I went back to the maintenance guy to let him know he went off... "are you the one that called down to complain" " I only have 2 hands and I'm all by myself and there are...." Poor guy, but really he shouldn't have shared that much information, a simple I am working on it would have been enough. We've all been there in a similar situation.

Despite my negative comments I really enjoyed my stay and am sorry if it didn't come across that way in my review. I'd go back because they offered 3 things I have to have when I travel.....a clean room, friendly staff and the feeling they appreciated my business!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Gabriel G, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience with us. We always look forward to feedback as that is what assists us with making the necessary corrections and letting us know where our strengths are.
I hope to see you back with us in the future.

Gabriel G.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
Belmont, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

My husband and I just returned from celebrating our 20th anniversary in Santa Fe, NM. We visit Santa Fe frequently and we have stayed at the Eldorado Hotel before . . . but not since it has been refurbished. It is a gorgeous property staffed with the friendliest, most-helpful employees ever!

We arrived early but our room was ready and we were checked in quickly. We requested a room with a fireplace and the room was quite large and very nice. We were happy to see two club chairs in the room -- so much more comfortable than having to sit on the bed all the time. The bathroom was large as was the shower. The room had a very nice view and a small terrace with a table and chairs. I want to mention two things which really made this room nice: two luggage racks (most people or a couple have two suitcases and it's nice to put them both on a luggage rack; and both a light drape and a heavy drape. The light drape is very nice for letting in some light during the day and the heavy drape totally blacks out the room for good sleeping. Very, very nice.

The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. The bed did not have a reusable bedspread or cover on it which I appreciate very much. I like the idea of all of the linens being clean and fresh and just for me. I would even rather they didn't put the decorative pillows on the clean linens. Just a suggestion.

We had a fire three of the nights we were there and we really enjoyed them. The Eldorado requires a bellman light the fire for safety reasons. Our fires were lit quite soon after we requested it so that was nice.

We worked out in the hotel gym twice and it is very nicely equipped. We used the ellipetical machines and the treadmills and my husband did some weight work. Loved the individual TVs. I was unhappy that I didn't bring my headphones with me but no worries -- the hotel provided earbuds!!!

I visited the spa twice and it was great. I reviewed the Nidah Spa separately. We also had a fabulous dinner at The Old House restaurant and I reviewed it separately too.

The hotel exceeded our expectations and it is only made better by an excellent staff!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Director of Rooms at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Happy Anniversary! Thank you for allowing us to be a part of such as special occasion. It looks as though you had an awesome time. Thank you such great comments.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Bought a gift certificate at a silent auction Eldorado was supporting, and used it for Romantic Valentines evening. Great spa treatments, nice dinner in Agave lounge, and nice large room. Ask for the king suite w/balcony looking east for a great view of Santa Fe.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Jason B, Director of Rooms at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
I am delighted to know that we made everything so special for your Valentine weekend. I know it is a critical and important holiday for many. Thank you so much for expressing your satisfaction to others to see.
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

Over the years, we have stayed at most of the hotels in Santa Fe; however, this was our first stay at the El Dorado, and it was a very satisfying experience. The high point was our dinner at The Old House. I had ahi tuna followed by scallops and my wife had tortilla soup and a filet. We have lived all over the world, and this was one of the best dinners we have had anywhere, anytime. Chef Evan Dougherty is world class. The wine list is also excellent with considerable variety and good price points. We enjoyed a glass of chardonnay from Languedoc followed by a bottle of red wine from the Abruzzi.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
I am sure that Chef Doughty will be flattered to hear about your time at Old House. It is with great pride that we operate the hotel and restaurant and are so happy to see it pays off.
Las Cruces, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

The staff, the rooms, the fitness facility, the spa, & the food surpassed my expectations. I've travelled all over the world & rate every detail of every hotel in which I stay. The pillows on the beds were fabulous! The spa steam room was a bonus at $10. The food served at every meal was delicious! All of the staff was so friendly. I love this hotel!

Room Tip: Room #456 was great!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Wow! I am so excited to hear your stay was so exceptional all around. We appreciate the comments about the staff an hotel. Thank you again! We hope to see you again soon.
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the El Dorado hotel before a work event. The hotel is old and the rooms are dated. I didn't care about the poor decor, but combined with the poor service it was so disappointing. It didn't make it any better that they are super pet friendly and I had to listen to dogs barking all night. The kicker came when I left something VERY important right next to the sink and didn't remember until I got home. I called immediately but of course the house keeping staff had not turned it in. I KNOW I left it right by the sink, but the El Dorado hotel doesn't employ people that are consciousness enough to make sure guests get their left behind items back.
Overall the El Dorado is more of a motel with regards to service and the hotel is old and tired.

Stayed January 2014
Jason B, Director of Rooms at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 7, 2014
I am very dismayed to see the comments on your review. We have never had issues in the past with guests leaving items at the hotel. I will keep a look out in case it turns up. Is there some other comments about poor service you would like to share? Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel to discuss.
Morgantown, West Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

We enjoyed this hotel. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Walking distance to some great restaurants. Hotel had a nice gym with a great view of downtown. We found a lot of great food in Santa Fe. The night we decided to eat in, we dined at the restaurant located in our hotel and enjoyed our meals. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Another satisfied guest. What a pleasure to have served you at the hotel. Is there anything else we could have done to make it 5 star?