“Not a AAA 4-Star” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 59 hotels in Santa Fe
Dothan, AL
“Not a AAA 4-Star”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

Not sure why AAA rates this hotel a 4-Star. The hotel itself is dated, period! Service from the staff was appropriate for our needs. The location is very close to the Square but not on it, so noise wasn't a concern. The salt water pool is more like a lap pool and is roof top. My trip to the Spa was very nice and easy to get a last minute treatment appointment. The sauna was extra warm and old. I will say that my massage treatment was perhaps the best I've every had, so I was very happy with that! We had requested a king room, but two double beds was what we got....not happy. On top of this, the beds were not comfortable. They had pillow tops over the mattresses but they were very uncomfortable and didn't stay "put". I don't understand why hotels can't purchase/use fitted sheets that fit the mattress!!! I'm not sure we will stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

654 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Sacramento, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed here for a girlfriend trip to Santa Fe, and while we had a great time, I was disappointed with what I thought would be a luxury resort and spa. Yes the hotel is beautiful but inconsistent service, areas that could have been cleaner and limited facilities really impact the quality of this place.
First I'll comment on the facilities - while there are some beautiful spaces and great pieces of art in this hotel there is a very small pool and jacuzzi, and the woman's steam room is worn, and not so kept up. These are not qualities of a luxury hotel. Speaking of cleanliness, the carpet in many areas needs attention - I think the hotel is pet friendly (we heard dogs) but my friend is allergic so had we known we would have asked for a dog free room or floor.
The young staff were very pleasant and attentive but there just was not enough person-power to get good service. It was raining when we arrived and we had to wait a long time for the valet, plus no one helped with the luggage. The young man was so kind, but he seemed to be the only one out there.
The SPA services were good and the staff were attentive, but because the pool is on a different floor, there is no real place to relax and enjoy. We had a great meal at the restaurant the first night and got good recommendations for dinner our second night. The location is good, very close to the plaza but not right on it.
Overall it was a good stay, but not great. We look forward to our annual SPA trips each year, and this one didn't quite compare with our previous trips. This hotel could be fabulous but fell a little short.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

I was excited to get a room with a fireplace. But what they don't tell you is that you can't light your own fire-you have to have a bellman do it and, at the hotel's whim, they can chose not to light a fire because of "weather". The temp is 67, humidity is 57% and wind is 1 mile an hour, and they won't light a fire in my room. What is the point of paying extra to have a fireplace in my room when I can't use it. Other than the fireplace, this hotel and it's rooms are unremarkable. This hotel blew it's chance to accommodate me and make my stay memorable. Their pillows are horrible and their internet slow as molasses. Stay elsewhere.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Ian M, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Without the feedback from guests like you, we cannot improve. I am very sorry that your experience with your fireplace was less than satisfactory. We do require that the Hotel Staff lights all guest fires and this is strictly for safety. And yes, we don't allow fires during certain high wind warnings. Since we are 7,000 feet above sea level, the winds pick up very quickly here and can cause rooms to fill with smoke if we are not careful. That aside, I will make sure to review your comments with our staff and make sure we are not being too cautious. It is a true catch 22 due to the fact that we don't want our guest's to have their room fill with smoke, but we never want to neglect the potential of creating memories. Thank you so much for your valuable feedback and if myself or anyone else at the property can assist any further, please let me know.

~Ian Robert McClendon
Director of Rooms
imcclendon@eldoradohotel.com
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013

Santa Fe hotels can be tricky because the vintage ones often have crazy-small rooms and bathrooms. El Dorado offers big hotel perks - great valet service, nice sized rooms - while being close to the Plaza. It feels a bit like a conference hotel so doesn't warrant five stars in my book.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
mountains near Evergreen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

We looked here for a stay during Indian Market and the usual higher end options being already snagged. We got a fabulous room (a Junior Suite fireplace) on the 5th floor for I thought a quite reasonable rate for Santa Fe in highest season.

Highs: the best mattress and linens we've experienced in several years memory of high end resorts. Friendly staff, generous anniversary gift by management, great valet (usual add-on parking, but parking everywhere was super-coveted and premium).

Lows: I personally dislike the whiter shade CFL's; one of the 3 was annoying; the standard definition tv cable completely disappoints, but an amazing number of places of higher caliber only offer it.

Room Tip: I would think higher floors generally; we were on the Plaza side which some might think are less des...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

So, you're headed for Santa Fe for some strolling around, art watching, soaking up the Southwest character. This is a very good choice for a lovely place to stay. Good restaurant (although there's no shortage in this town), good service, a good location. This was my second stay in the past five years. Yes, on business, but I was almost a tourist.

I have no real quibbles. Some things could have been more in line with the purported image. I would have liked to see some decent coffee available in the hotel somewhere. The odd sort of staging to the conference areas takes some getting used to. (There was a bit of a carnival atmosphere to a crafts exhibit that was occupying the majority of their space when I was there.) A bit more there there when it comes to that cavernous lobby area without any service to it. Room turnover looks like a bit of a problem because of thin staffing.

I think I had four meals in the hotel including a lunch in the restaurant. The food was quite good. In an instance or two it was inspired. Overall well above average.

All the staff I had contact with were well-trained and outgoing.

If you're like me and want a good cup of coffee in the morning your earliest bet is the Starbucks a couple of blocks away.

The hotel is not exactly right in the old town but right at its edge and you can walk to almost all the best sights.

For room choices I thought there was no noise issue. My room seemed a bit dark with a single, high window but this is adobe country. AC was extraordinarily quiet.

Room Tip: There are large lobbies on most floors outside the elevators including seating. I'd try to locat...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Anchorage, Alaska, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

I visit Santa Fe roughly once a year and have stayed exclusively at the Eldorado. The architecture and atmosphere is authentic. From the valet parking attendant to the front desk staff, from the room service waiter to the concierge, all were dedicated to my well being. When a root canal blew up on me, the staff really shown. They did everything they could to help me. You can fake that kind of concern. Oh, yes. The hotel is located a short walk from the Santa Fe Plaza with many historic buildings within a short walk. Highly recommend the Eldorado.

Room Tip: Ask for a Junior Suite. Excellent views and a kiva fireplace in your room. Awesome!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Ian M, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property! we are thrilled you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see back in Santa Fe very soon.

~Ian Robert McClendon
Director of Rooms
imcclendon@eldoradohotel.com

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!