“Best hotel in Santa Fe” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Villanova
“Best hotel in Santa Fe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Thisis an exceptional hotel. It is relatively new compared to many downtown hotels in historic properties and as a result is lighter and brighter inside. Beds were extremely comfortable. our room had a west facing balcony for sunsets and a kiva fireplace. We stayed during an unusually cool July week and asked for a fire on a chilly night. Within minutes the hotel staff was in the room to light it for us. Full supply of thick large bath towels. Great scented bath products. Restaurant was terrific-- one of the best meals over our one week stay in Santa Fe. Hotel concierge was a standout--she sent me the recipe for a favorite soup graciously provided by the chef. Spa was gorgeous and luxurious, treated my 13 year old daughter like a pampered VIP. Excellent location, convienent parking, rooftop pool and hot tub-- BEST HOTEL IN SANTA FE

Room Tip: Splurge for a fireplace room--while the rest of the country was baking in 90+ weather we had cool ni...
Ian M, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time in reviewing our property! We truly value your feedback about our property and we are thrilled you had such a great time at the Eldorado! Our entire team strives to be Santa Fe's favorite hotel on a daily basis and we are over the moon you came to the same conclusion. We hope you come back to the Eldorado soon, and have a great rest of your week!

~Ian Robert McClendon
Director of Rooms
imcclendon@eldoradohotel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Great location short walk to square.Breakfast was good pretty good choice could get buffet or order of the menu.Rooms are nice bit small room 223 looks out on roof of building and noice from air conditioner.Staff are friendly and helpful really nice restaurant and bar lots of space to sit and relax.We got there on friday night at 11 30pm after long drive from Colorado only to find the bar and restaurant was closed they said they close at 11 30 no room service either we were really disappointed as this hotel claims to be 4 star other that that nice stay

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We recently decided to have a July 4th holiday weekend getaway in Santa Fe. Drove about 6 hours and was tired and anticipating getting to our room. Let me say, this hotel is in an amazing location if you are wishing to stay near the plaza. Within close walking distance to shops, restaurants, bars, anything you would want to do! Location absolutely cannot be beat. We booked the hotel based on positive reviews on Tripadvisor.

Got to the hotel, valeted the car, so far so good. Went to check in and a young lady with a badge on that said "In training" on checked us in and gave us our room key. Got to the room and my heart dropped, while a lovely room it was not what I had reserved. When making the reservation I had specifically requested a Fireplace room. The room we were given was a lovely room with a King sized bed, but no fireplace, no terrace. I had specifically requested these and was told verbally over the phone that was what I was getting.

I went down to the front desk to see what was going on. When I spoke with the front desk staff the young man I spoke with, while polite, really upset me when he tried to turn it around on me like I had made a mistake when reserving the room, stating I was "probably not clear in making it known what type of room I wanted". I had specifically requested a room with a fireplace, how much clearer could I be??? I was frankly insulted when he implied, in my opinion, that somehow I was at fault. My husband and I have traveled virtually all over the world, including Europe, and have made hundreds of hotel reservations, including speaking to people in Europe who could barely speak English. I know how to make a reservation. When I refused to back down on it not being my fault, he then tried to blame "the call center in Texas, sometimes they make mistakes". Problem with that logic was I didn't call a tollfree number to reserve the room, I called the hotel directly and spoke with someone at the front desk to reserve the room. Then to add insult to injury he said, as if I was some idiot who never travels, "Let me give you a travel tip, it's always a good idea to call your hotel a few days ahead of time to verify you booked the correct room". What? Really? I should call a few days ahead to make sure you didn't screw it up? Whatever, by this time I was really tired of the blame game and just said, "what can we do to resolve this"? They told me that there was no available fireplace room the first night but if we would be willing to move to another room the following day we could get what we wanted. I was fine with that. They told me to make sure to have our bags all packed and to leave the bags in the first room, and check out at 11:30, they would send a bellman to move our bags to the new fireplace room which they put a rush on. We appreciated that.

Following day, we did exactly as we were told, packed everything in our bags, left them in the first room, and checked out. Went to lunch and shopping for about 3 hours and then returned. Got the keys to the new room, yea! It was wonderful, just what we wanted, lovely fireplace and private terrace. Fantastic!!!! Except our bags weren't there. At first that was not a huge deal, but then as the afternoon wore on and our bags didn't arrive, I started to get nervous because we wanted to go to dinner at a nice restaurant and change out of our casual shorts and also wanted to freshen up, etc. Hubby called front desk to request our bags. He was told they would be right up. Another 45 minutes, no bags. Hubby called front desk again. Again told they would be arriving. 15 minutes later the phone rings. It was the front desk. They had checked with the bellman and they said the bellman had no idea where our bags were. The front desk clerk then asked why we didn't have our bags!!!!! My husband explained that we were told by the front desk to leave our bags in the first room and that is what we did. The front desk clerk then asked "What room were you in"? Wow! We had done exactly as they had instructed us and now they had no idea, no clue what was going on. About 35 minutes later, about 5 hours after we had left the first room our bags finally arrived to the new room. No explanation was given as to what went wrong or where they were the whole time. Anyway, went ahead and went to dinner and enjoyed the evening and enjoyed the terrace later that evening with a glass of wine.

Next day, we left to go to lunch and go to Los Alamos (highly recommend the Science Museum there BTW) and were gone about 3 1/2 hours. Returned to our room and sitting on the fireplace I had fought so hard to get, was an old, white cheap looking microwave. Just sitting there on the fireplace. What the hell? We had no idea why it was there and where it came from. I had my husband place it in the hallway and I called the long suffering front desk and let the Front Desk Clerk know that "a mysterious white microwave showed up in our room" and let him know that they should send up someone to get it so it wouldn't get stolen. He said, "Can you repeat what you just said"? Even he was dumbfounded as to why it was there. Again never did find out what the deal was. At this point my husband and I just burst out laughing. What else was going to happen? An alien abduction? An Elvis sighting? At that point anything was possible.

Anyway, having said all of the above I have to say, this is a lovely hotel and despite all the insane things that happened we did have a great time and would return, maybe a little wary, but would return none the less. The location, as I stated earlier, is fabulous. The Agave Lounge, the hotel bar, was great, the staff nice and helpful. The rooms, both of them were clean and very nice and well appointed. The only negative, as others have commented was the shower design. The bedding was very nice and we slept like babies. We are not pool people, but we did check it out and as others here on Tripadvisor have stated, it is crazy small for a hotel this size!!!! That was not an issue for us as we didn't utilize the pool, but for those of you who like to use the pool this might not work for you.

I truly feel this is a lovely hotel, but the front desk needs additional training. There were at least 2 young ladies at the front desk that had "In training" badges on. And in fairness, I know there is always a learning curve, but the front desk needs to get it together.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We chose this location based on Trip Advisor reviews. Let me begin with the good, its a fabulous location. You can walk almost everywhere you need to go. The valet service and parking are very expensive,$24.00 a day. The hotel is a lot larger than I pictured it, the rooms are cute and the hotel is very clean. The pool and hot tub on the roof are great and it was nice having a gym on site.
Okay, now for the bad, I found the service to be mediocre at best. When we pulled up the valet started to help us and midway through he left and said he had to help someone else because they were there "first." But they weren't , they pulled up after us and then when he returned he said "looks like you guys got your bags." I had actually wanted help. Then when we were checking in we asked the clerk "in training" if we could get a Balcony room and she said there were none available but didn't even look at computer. A similar experience happened with another valet on the way out. My friend joked that they will do anything not to help with bags. They were also out of hand towels and we had to track down housekeeping to get some, they said they were "all out" BUT did return with some later. Coffee in room is okay but there's a little espresso
Kiosk about half a block away "holy spirit" espresso which has very good coffee. Aside from service, I would recommend hotel but for the cost, service should be five star.

• Stayed July 2013
Ian M, Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
I am deeply sorry that you had an experience where our service was lacking. This is not the standard for our property and we pride ourselves on delivering 5 star service. I will make sure to speak with all the managers that deal with these areas, and we will make the appropriate adjustments. Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property, and I truly appreciate your valuable feedback.

~Ian Robert McClendon
Director of Rooms
imcclendon@eldoradohotel.com
College Station
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We requested a quiet room when we made our reservations. A few hours after we checked in, we heard a constantly barking dog in the adjoining room. When we called to complain, Kayla not only moved usz to another room, but upgraded our room to a king suite which meant we had a fireplace, a balcony and 2 bathrooms! The concierge, Maggie, found out we were celebrating our wedding anniversary and much to our surprise, we had a complimentary bottle of champagne and chocolate covered strawberries sent to our room! Every employee we came into contact with from the bellman to the hostess in the restaurant were all very friendly! The service was excellent! We also enjoyed the rooftop pool and hot tub and many times had it all to ourselves! This will be the only hotel we will stay when we return to Santa Fe!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Loudon, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

After a long day on the road including trains, planes, and automobiles we were glad to arrive at Eldorado. Even before our arrival we had experienced great customer service with Ben in reservations. Kayla front desk clerk was gracious,helpful and efficient at getting us into our upgraded room!!! We were weary travelers -two grandparents,daughter and 16 month old grandson. From the moment we arrived we were transformed into a wonderful relaxing retreat.
Allison at front desk was pleasant and provided water as we set out on a tour of town.
We would highly recommend this to hotel to travelers if you are any where near the area --worth the drive!!!

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

This was my second time in Santa Fe and the first time at the Eldorado. My travel experiences are often shaped by my accommodations. I'm very critical of hotels that purport to be 5 stars but aren't. This was a wonderful stay all around. From the first employes you meet that set the tone of the hotel: the valet, to the front desk and on it goes. The corner room was so spacious with a balcony, allowing us to view the spectacular sunset. It was a tad too warm to use the fireplace in the room, but it was stacked with kindling, ready to go should we want to take advantage of it.
The king bed was welcoming and plush. The shower only in the room was large. The only negative was the power of the spray, but since it's a very arid climate, I would say that is probably due to city water restrictions than the hotel's choice in fixtures.
Overall a perfect experience. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade at the front desk. It never hurts. They can only say, "no".
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!