“Almost perfect until "the wedding"” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Complimentary Wi-Fi
Ranked #17 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Ma
“Almost perfect until "the wedding"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

We just came back from a New Mexico vacation that included 4 nights at this hotel including Memorial Day weekend. After reading some recent reviews I was a bit worried about the service but upon check in all my concerns melted away. We had a very long trip getting to Santa Fe because of delayed flights and were all exhausted. After pulling up in front of the hotel we were greeted and asked to pull into the garage where we were immediately greeted. Our bags were taken from the car and we were directed to check in. Almost immediately after going up to our room the bags arrived. Our room was lovely with a balcony that overlooked the mountains. As we unpacked we realized, as we often do when we arrive at a hotel, that we needed more hangers. I called the front desk and within 5 minutes they brought up our hangers. 5 minutes - that's a new world record for us. That evening when we opened up the sleeper couch we realized that we needed bedding for it. Another call to the front desk and this time 3 minutes later, house keeping was in our room making up the bed.

The rest of our stay continued to be marked by excellent service. The valet would promptly get our car and always ask us if we needed directions. The concierges were always helpful finding places to eat or giving us directions.

So it was an almost perfect stay - until "the wedding" Our room was on the 4th floor and on the Sunday night of Memorial Day weekend at 8 PM we heard blaring loud music from the floor above. Our ceiling rattled from the feet of the dancers above us. When we called the from desk to complain they told us that the band was to stop at 10 PM and sure enough, about 10:10 it was quiet.

Now the is a very large hotel and it has many spaces that could hold a wedding other than right above my room. I will give the hotel credit, they did limit the band to 2 hours and it did end relatively early but the whole thing should have been avoided.

When i checked out the woman at the front desk asked me how our stay was and when I told her it was great except for the wedding she looked at my room number and smiled saying something like "wow you were right under it" No "I am sorry it disturbed you" or "Please accept our apologies." just a "wow you were right under it."

A bit of a sour note at the end of an otherwise great experience.

698 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Bedford, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Our recent stay at the Eldorado was a mixed bag. I have to say that the BEST part of this hotel is the Nidah Spa. Otherwise, it's kind of an 'upscale' version of a Holiday Inn. Service was pretty mediocre, the rooms were very vanilla (had none of the Santa Fe character of other hotels in the area), and they were very pet unfriendly for a pet-friendly hotel.

First, the service. When I booked the hotel (called directly), I explained a situation that I had with a roof-top carrier for my car and the potential issue with the garage. There's limited parking in the Old Town area of Santa Fe, and this is an issue. When I got to the hotel, the valet parking was...IN the garage! No one was in front. So I went inside and told the front desk clerk that we had a problem getting in the garage due to a roof-top carrier. She called the bell desk and told them we needed help getting luggage off the roof. NO. We can't remove the roof carrier. I told her that NO, we didn't need help with luggage, we needed some help with PARKING. She told me to go park in the town lot down the street. I asked her if it was a garage. Why, yes. DUH. If I can't park in their garage, how could I get into a Municipal garage? Not the brightest bulb in the lamp. I looked at her empty eyes and knew that she didn't have a clue. So I asked to speak to the hotel manager.

He came out right away. I explained the situation, and he said that either he'd take the car in through another entrance or he'd find an appropriate parking space elsewhere. Super. So, front desk clerk just stood there. I asked her if she was going to check me in, and she did. I asked her if she knew we had dogs. She said she did. No doggie welcome bag. Nothing at all except a $50 charge for the dogs. Great.

So, we get up to our room. It couldn't have been further from the elevator if it had been in the hotel across the street. HELLO! You don't put people with dogs, who need to go out and walk the dogs several times a day, in a portion of the hotel so remote that the dog is liable to 'go' before reaching the elevator! *GRR* Then, I read their little 'welcome' book that states that dogs are pampered in their hotel, with welcome bags, a 'doggy do not disturb' sign to alert housekeeping, a pet bed and bowls in the room...did we get any of this? NOPE. I went down to the front desk to ask where to take my dogs for their potty, and vacuous-girl had no clue. She also knew NOTHING about the doggy door signs. The other front desk clerk, without addressing me directly, told her that they had the signs at the desk, but must have run out. She finally called housekeeping to have the sign delivered.

I then went to the Concierge to ask about where on the property to take the dog to potty. No clue. THIS is what they call "dog-friendly." You can bring a dog, and we'll charge you for it, but hey, don't call us on the details.

Okay. Enough of the doggie rant. Here's the other good and bad:

Location: Excellent. But all the hotels in the area have an excellent location.
Breakfast: We had a package with breakfast. It was for a Continental Breakfast for two ($30 value) but they allowed us to use the voucher for any meal. The breakfast in the hotel restaurant was fine.
Amenities: Few. Except for the spa and a TINY pool, there's little to like about this hotel. There's nothing there. Empty, unused spaces. The Agave Lounge was...cold. There were no shops.
Rooms: Adequate. The bed was super-comfortable. But again, it was like a King Superior room at a Holiday Inn with slightly better furnishings.
Service: We asked for restaurant recommendations, and the Concierge was NO help. We asked about where to see the sunset. Ditto. Every question we asked was answered with a bit of indifference and lack of care. FAIL.
Spa: The best thing about this place was the spa. It was EXPENSIVE, but they have great staff. Thumbs up.

Oh--when we made the reservation, they IMMEDIATELY CHARGED my card for the first night's "deposit" without telling me. BAD BAD BAD.

Would I stay here again? Nope. It wasn't worth the price, and the service stunk. Their dog-friendly [--] on the website is just that...[--]. There are so many lovely places in Santa Fe...pick one that delivers on their promises. The Eldorado does NOT.

Palos Verdes Estates, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

Not a bad place but just did not live up to its 4 star rating. Staff was sufficiently friendly but not the most efficient, as I had a long wait checking in even though there were several staff members at the counter.

Vending machines were insufficiently stocked. Water bottles were sold out at the end of the day on the floors. There was no water cooler at the lobby, although it's a common feature in Santa Fe given the arid climate and altitude. There was a water station for pooches, however. Too bad the same consideration was not extended to the human guests.

Rooftop deck was cramped and poorly lit. There were but 2 towels left on deck in the evening. Bathroom was of good size but I found the low flow showerhead very annoying.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have been to Santa Fe several times, but this was my first stay at the El Dorado. It won't be my last! Teh location of the hotel could not be more convenient, and you can even get a free city shuttle around the town at the corner. the rooms were lovely, and the beds were comfy.The food in the hotel restaurant was great and not expensive! I was really impressed with all the staff with whom I interacted. They were all very professional,but aso very friendly and personable. concierge Dachelle is AMAZING--she goes above and beyond to be helpful and she knows EVERYTHING about Santa FE. Concierge Hale was great, too. She helped us a lot. The only thing I would change about the El Dordo is the pet-friendly policy. We were bothered by the 2 yapping dogs next door. We did not complain about it, because you have the pet-friendly policy and we assumed we just had to put up with the yappers. I would rather have the hotel be people-friendly than pet-friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I have stayed here many times and I really like it. It's very comfortable and clean and the service is great. It's not on the Plaza, but it's a couple blocks away which makes it a perfect walking distance to most of the stuff to do in Santa Fe. If you can afford the extra cost, the suites on the 5th floor are really nice. They're bigger rooms and have wood-burning fireplaces which are really fun because they give you firewood and even come up to light the fireplace for you.
Several years back, the hotel sold the room we had reserved for me and they ended up upgrading us to the Presidential Suite. Wow, that is an amazing room with a gigantic outdoor patio. It was winter so we really didn't get to use it, but we felt very special there!
The fine dining restaurant and bar are great too. We had a nice dinner there last year and the bar has a sexy vibe with nice-looking people. Good people-watching....

Room Tip: Pay the extra to get a suite with a fireplace.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Roslyn, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed in a suite and just loved the spacious accommodation and the second bathroom. I agree with the shower design problem as you always got a burst of cold water when you turned it on, but found it a small inconvenience. I would have liked a better pool area with some shade, but found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. It's a great location, very close to the main section of town yet quiet, and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is without a doubt the best experience we have ever had in a hotel. From the start with the valet Paul who took care of us and our luggage (and gave a great restaurant recommendation!) to the entire staff that made sure we felt welcomed and appreciated. We had a unique request after we checked in which was immediately taken care of. The staff could not have been more accommodating or friendly. If you are ever in Santa Fe this is the place to stay. To sum it up - outstanding!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!