“Honeymoon destination!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Rancho Santa Margarita, California, United States
“Honeymoon destination!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I chose the El Dorado mostly based on the wood burning fireplace! There are few hotels which have the actual wood rather than gas fireplace. It was a pleasant surprise to have such excellent service. John kept our wood supply going. The front desk was exceptionally accommodating and went the star mile to help me with a FAX. The salon was exceptional. We enjoyed the rooftop jacuzzi in the snow. Our view from the deck was exceptional. Thanks for such great honeymoon memories!

Room Tip: Corner suites are private with great views from the deck.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Daphne C,

First off congratulations from all of us at the Eldorado on your recent marriage. We are truely overjoyed that we had some small part in making your stay a memorable one. Your kind comments regarding our staff and facilities is what makes our jobs in the hospitality industry a pleasure.

We do hope that you can be our honored guest in the very near future, and if at any time we can be of further assistance please contact the Hotel directly.

With regards from your friends at the Eldorado.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

So let me begin by making it clear, my wife and I travel a lot and we are easy to please. We usually stay at smaller, more boutique hotels, but decided to book a 3 night trip for our anniversary over New Years at the El Dorado because of their spa and close proximity to the plaza.

I called ahead 2 days prior to our arrival to assure early check in would be available, because our flight arrived at 11:30 am - the manager on staff assured me that it would be no problem. Upon arrival around 1pm, we were informed that no rooms were available. They took our cell phone number and assured us that they would call us as soon as one became available. My wife and I stored our bags and went to lunch. We returned around 4pm to find a lobby full of guests waiting to check in. Patiently, we waited. When we got to the desk, the desk clerk informed me that our room still was not ready.

We went to the bar, had a drink, returned at 5pm - and the room was still not ready. I asked to speak to the manager, and he returned with 2 drink tickets for the bar and apologized. We went back to the bar, came back at 6pm, room was still not ready. We were the only people left from the original 4pm group who still did not have a room, and we arrived at 1pm. I asked for the manager again, let him know that i was not very pleased with the beginning of our trip, and that my wife wanted to change her clothes before our dinner reservation at 7pm elsewhere.

He apologized, gave us a gift certificate for a free bottle of champagne for room service, but still no room. Around 6:45 pm - still no call to the cell phone, I approached the desk and found out that our room had been ready for a "while". We finally got our keys, and went to the room. Needless to say, we missed our dinner reservation at 7pm.

Once we got to the room, it was nice, a small balcony looking over the mountains. We decided to give the hotel a second chance, and called to see what the dining options were for new years eve here in the hotel. They told us they had 2 reservations available at The Old House, one at 5pm and one at 6pm.

After getting into our room that took 6 hours to prepare, we had 1 robe, and the remote didn't work. I called down, and after about 40 minutes, we got the 2nd robe - by that time, I fixed the remote myself. During the day the following day, we were gone shopping/dining for 7 hours, we returned at 4pm to find our room hadn't been cleaned. At 5:15 while getting ready for dinner, we got a knock on the door for room service (????), we told them no thanks, and let them know we needed some clean towels. They gave us 1 towel. The following day we were gone again from 10am to 4pm, returned and again our room was not clean. I called down to housekeeping, and they assured me that they would send someone up to clean the room immediately. I let them know that we were going to shower and get ready for dinner, but we would be gone from 7-10. We returned from dinner, room still not clean. So finally, we decided it was a lost cause.

Fast forward to our anniversary - we chose to have the prefix dinner at the old house with wine pairings ($120.00 per person). We were sat promptly at 6pm - the entire restaurant empty with the exception of one table - who they sat us right next to. The table had two children under the age of 5 who were screaming the entire dinner - and a mom who was yelling at them equally as loud. I figured the management would take care of this, or move us to another table - but nothing was done. The food was ok (my medium rare prime rib was not pink at all), the wine pairings were not great (champagne with lobster bisque, cab with steak, orange moscato with a pumpkin torte), but the worst of it all was the rate at which they pushed the dinner.

We made it clear twice we were NOT in a hurry, as our only plan for the night was a nice dinner. Before we could even finish each course, they had brought the next course. 3 of the 4 courses, we received the wine pairings for the next course before we were finished eating the previous course. I asked the food runner what was in our second course and she didn't know or speak english. We were served our desert wine pairing exactly 35 minutes after we were sat at 6pm. I spoke with the dining manager and let him know how displeased my wife and I were with the dinner - especially since it was our anniversary. He let me know that he was going to "take care of the check" for me. After getting the check at 6:55pm, I saw that he had taken off the fee for the wine pairings, and removed the guaranteed 20% gratuity. I still tipped the server 20% because I was a server in the past and refuse to be a bad tipper, but overall it was a very disappointing $250 dinner, and we were out the door by 7pm to a still empty dining room.

We checked out, spent near $1000 between the spa, dining, drinks, and room service - and still hadn't had our room cleaned.

Overall, the management did address the problems when confronted with them but I don't believe they went above and beyond like I would expect from a hotel of this quality. I know that managing a large hotel on a holiday can be difficult - as I managed a 1200 room 4 star Marriott in the past. Our experience was hopefully the exception to the usual, but we will not be returning to this hotel in the future.

Room Tip: High floors have great views of the mountains
Dear 2Dentistwhodine,

We greatly appreciate that you were our recent guest in spite of all the issues that took place during your stay. All I can say on behalf of the Hotel is how sorry we are that you experienced these issues, and that this is definitely not a true reflection of our operations. With that stated no excuses for all of the challenges you faced during your stay.

We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future as we want to show you true Southwest hospitality. Lastly thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff, as they do try very hard to make each guest request a reality.

Sarasota, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

This is a nice hotel... very nice in fact... however, it didn't meet our standards for a 4* at all... there were just too many niggling issues (chips in the bath, cracked grout in the bath, lame shower head and very very very thin walls where you can hear everything in the room next door... and I mean everything!). We had to complain about noise in the next room it was so bad (this was dealt with admirably by the duty manager).

The staff are fantastic; very friendly and super helpful... but there are too many niggling issues for this to be the 4* experience we expected... the owners of this property really need to invest in some better wall insulation!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 1, 2013
Dear Floridabrits,

Thank you so much for being our recent guest and for your posting on Trip Advisor. I can't apologize enough for the issues you experienced in your room. We very much appreciate your bringing these items to our attention as they definitely require serious attention. Our goal is total guest satisfaction one guest at a time, and it appears as if our facilities definitely fell short of the experience you expected and should have had.

On a positive note we can't thank you enough for your kind words regarding our staff. We are very proud that they think out side of the box to make our guest stay enjoyable. I do hope you will have an opportunity to join us again in the near future as we want your thoughts of Santa Fe and our property to be memorable ones.

eperk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

After a horrible night at La Fonda, I decided to check out and try my luck at finding a hotel with availability. Luckily I tried El Dorado first. The room was just what I needed (nice, basic, dog-friendly room close to the Plaza) and the restaurant, spa, and staff were phenomenal. They even apologized for my having a problem at the other local establishment, gave me a half price rate for the inconvenience, and waived the pet fee. I saved so much money that I was able to book a 7 hour spa day! I'm so glad I found this place!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Eperk,

I want to take this opportunity to say thank you for being our recent guest. It was our distinct pleasure being your host. Our goal is total guest satisfaction one guest at a time. We are honored that we had the opportunity to take what started out as a very difficult trip and help turn it into a memorable one. It will be my pleasure to convey your kind words about our Spa services to those staff members.

We do hope that you will return in the very near future, and if we can be of any further assistance, please contact the Hotel directly.

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We stayed at the Eldorado Hotel & Spa in Santa Fe and enjoyed it. We have stayed at several hotels in the city, and will most likely return to the Eldorado. The other places were fine, but the Eldorado had a gym, which several others did not. The gym was also at least a bit larger than one converted claustrophobic hotel room. The hotel also had room service, which we didn't use, but it's nice to know it's there. The service was very good. Location is great. Comfortable rooms. The termperature control worked very well. The sounds proofing was not great in terms of the noise from the hallway.

Dear SharBer,

Thank you for being our recent guest over the Holiday season. We greatly apppreciate your kind words about our facilities and service. Our motto is total guest satisfaction one guest at a time. It would be our pleasure to be your host again in the near future and if we can currently be of any service please contact the Hotel directly.

Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

I am a real traveler and this is a no BS review. The El Dorado is an excellent hotel. We rented two adjoining rooms for 4 days over Christmas 2012. There is nothing to complain about. Everything is great including: excersice room, staff, parking, rooms, beds, linens, food, bar, value for the price, location to everything in downtown. I will stay there again. You cannot go wrong. Believe me I am one picky SOB and this place is awesome,

Room Tip: Like any hotel dont stay near the elevators. Otherwise all the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear DavidJeterMorgan,

I can't thank you enough for your kind words while being our recent guest. Our motto is total guest satisfaction one guest at a time. It will be my pleasure to share your comments with our staff as without this dedicated group of people we would not be able to make this possible. I am proud that we have been able to make this a memorable experience for you and your family, and look forward to your return visit.

If we can be of any further assistance please contact the Hotel directly as it is our pleasure to be at your service.

From your friends at the Eldorado.
Vancouver, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

As a long-time iPrefer member, I always seek out these properties first for lodging, whether traveling around the world on business or for pleasure. This was my first stay at the Eldorado, but it won't be the last. On our recent pre-Christmas trip to Santa Fe, we decided to stay at the Eldorado, primarily due to its location near the Plaza and other interesting places, such as the Georgia O'Keefe museum. We will return for the excellent service, friendly and helpful staff, and excellent accommodations. From the time we checked in to the time we left, the staff was attentive and very responsive to our needs, even when we wanted to build a cozy fire in the fireplace late at night and needed some kindling to do so. If you are considering a fine hotel property in Santa Fe, I highly recommend the Eldorado.

Dr. Joseph Baugh

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Dear Dr. Baugh,

We want to extend a warm thank you for being our recent guest. I am thrilled to hear that you found your trip to Santa Fe and our property to exceed your expectations. Our motto is total guest satisfaction one guest at a time. It has been our extreme pleasure to in some small way make your trip a memorable one and look forward to your return visit in the near future.

If we can be of any further assistance, please contact the Hotel as we look forward to being at your service.

With warm regards from your friends at the Eldorado.

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!