“Wonderful week-end at the Eldorado!!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Deal
Santa Fe Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Lipan, Texas
“Wonderful week-end at the Eldorado!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

The bellman greeted us when we drove in the driveway at the Eldorado and our first experience with the staff was wonderful! John was so friendly and helpful and it just kept getting better. Since we had arrived early our room was not ready, but our luggage was stored and brought up to the room within a short time. Dinner in the restaurant was first class and the meal was served by a great wait staff. Our visit to Santa Fe will always be remembered as we enjoyed the Fiesta, but stayed a couple of blocks off the square so we enjoyed the quiet location too. Can't wait to come back and stay longer.

Room Tip: Get a room with the view of the mountains! And a fireplace if you go in the cool months.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 16, 2012
Dear Marsha F,

We are overjoyed that your trip to Santa Fe was so memorable. I can't thank you enough for your kind comments that will be shared with all staff members as they can celebrate your stay as a success. We look forward to your return visit in the very near future, and hope you will call on any of our staff members so we can plan an even more memorable stay for you.

With warm regards from your friend's at the Eldorado

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
Brooklyn, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I stayed at the Eldorado for six nights in August as I have done for the past several years for Indian Market and the Santa Fe Opera. Every day brought a different problem-air conditioning didn't work, a long wait in the restaurant, an overwhelmed concierge and questions about sanitation. Although the front desk personnel were attentive to my problems, it is hardly worth the rate charged during this time of the year.Time for an upgrade!!!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Marianne,

Thank you for your candid comments regarding your stay. We do apologize that you found many items that caused difficulty so that you could not completely enjoy your time with us. Do be assured your comments have been shared with the proper Department Managers in an effort to make the necessary corrections. I am extremely concerned about a couple of the items you mentioned and whether or not they were corrected to your satisfaction. If you would be so kind as to do a follow up call with the Hotel so that we could discuss this further I would be greatly appreciative.

We do hope that you will continue to have faith in our product as our goal is to be your favorite Hotel while in Santa Fe.

From your friend's at the Eldorado.
Skillman, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

This hotel was 3 blocks from plaza. We were in Santa Fe during Fiesta which was extremely noisy. We were able to enjoy fiesta but when we went back to hotel we left noise behind. We took the package that included breakfast at the hotel. $50 worth of food for $25 which we felt was a decent bargain. We did not eat dinner at hotel.
Rooms were very clean and extremely quiet.

Room Tip: Our room 458 was excellent!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear EdW,

We are delighted to hear that your stay was an exceptional one. We hope you had an opportunity to completely enjoy all that Santa Fe has to offer and look forward to your return in the near future. It is our goal to be your favorite Hotel while in Santa Fe and to that end we will always be at your service.

With regards from your friend's at the Eldorado
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

I am very surprised to see the few reviews below that speak unfavorably of Eldorado.

I live in Albuquerque and my boyfriend lives in Pennsylvania. He was in town visiting for Labor Day weekend and I really wanted to get out of Albuquerque and show him what New Mexico was really like. He had never been to NM before, and I wanted to make sure he would come back! Ha!

From the moment we pulled into the drive, I couldn't be more pleased. Seeing as though Albuquerque is so close, I rarely ever stay over in Santa Fe. I work for a hotel company and we have a property in Santa Fe- so if I do have to stay over, I stay there due to my discount. Unfortunately, my property is nowhere near the plaza and isn't "Santa Fe" inspired, so I didn't want to stay there for his first visit.

The valet attendant was extremely polite and efficient. Our bags were carried to the front desk where we were warmly greeted by a gentleman named Larry. Larry. Is. Awesome. VERY helpful, informative, and accommodating. He joked around with us and made us feel at ease after our drive.

The room was EXACTLY what I was hoping it would be- traditional WITHOUT looking like the Southwest hurled all over it! Hotels in Santa Fe think they need to play up the Southwest when it is all around! It was simple and unique and much larger than I had expected. We didn't book a suite, but it felt much larger than most standard guestrooms do.

The location of the hotel was absolutely my most favorite feature. It was just a block from the Plaza which ensured a quiet atmosphere while allowing visitors all walking conveniences. We were able to go out for dinner and drinks and walk around in the hustle and bustle of the evening crowd, but retreat to a nice, quiet property. We enjoyed a nightcap in the bar before heading back to bed and the bartenders held the same standard of excellence as the rest of the hotel staff. They were also helpful in suggesting bars that were close by seeing as the hotel bar was closing down.

The only thing that was a snag in the experience was when housekeeping came to our room at 9am. This is standard time for all hotels, but I was incredibly hungover and needed some extra time to get myself together! Ha!

Departure was seamless and Larry was just as warm as he was when we arrived! The valet and bell staff were all very sweet to make conversation as we waited for our car to be brought to the front drive.

Thank you for such a memorable stay. We had a fantastic time and you helped me showcase our beautiful state to my boyfriend who had NO IDEA what to expect! It was better than I had imagined and we will certainly be back the next time it's his turn to visit!

Thank you Eldorado and thank you Larry! You're the man!

Room Tip: Don't forget the Do Not Disturb sign if you plan on sleeping in! The staff is incredibly efficie...
Dear Hilary,

It was my extreme pleasure to be your host while in Santa Fe. Your kind comments have been shared with all the staff as we like to celebrate the moments when we can make memories for our guests. It was our pleasure to show your boyfriend Southwest hospitality as we realize that each area of the country has different expectations.

We look forward to your return in the very near future, to surpass your expectations as our goal is to make the Eldorado your favorite Hotel while in Santa Fe.

With warm regards from your friend's at the Eldorado.
Phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I wanted to review this property while it is still fresh in my mind. We just got home from a 4-day stay during Santa Fe Fiesta weekend. This was our anniversary where we opted for a one bedroom suite. The management sent up a bottle of champagne to help celebrate our special event. Very nice gesture and we thank you for that. Check in was quick and painless, the front desk clerk was extremely courteous and got us in our room immediately which was on the 4th floor corner of this 5 story hotel. There was not much of a view as this room overlooked a parking lot. You had to look past that I suppose since this hotel is located off The Plaza and that's just the view you got.

Room: It was large enough but definitely not worth the price. The layout was awkward, outdated. Nothing in the room said Santa Fe or even remotely close to southwest decor. Furnishings were worn from the furniture to the carpet. I actually placed towels on the sofa because it just looked dirty and I didn't want to sit on it. . Why put carpet in rooms when tile would have been so much cleaner, lend more to the southwest ambiance and wouldn't need to be replaced so frequently. It has obviously been a while since the carpet has been replaced and it was down right shabby throughout.

Bathroom: SMALL! I have never stayed in a hotel room much less a suite with such a teeny-tiny bathroom. No way could two people get in there at once. You had to shut the door to even sit on the toilet because it's behind the door! There is only one sink and the vanity probably doesn't even measure 40". Limited counter space here. I tried to stretch my arms from the wall to the shower door and couldn't do it. I'm a petite person so the width of the bathroom is extremely small. Be careful turning on the shower because the you'll get drenched. Placement is very odd.

Bedroom: Lots of room. In fact it was too much room. Would be nice to extend the bathroom because there is lots of wasted space in the bedroom. Beds were comfortable but I did wake several times per night because the feather pillows were not to my liking. Drapes (also dated) would not close all the way. I almost felt like I was in a Motel 8.

Storage: Good storage everywhere but we couldn't believe the cheap white laminate bureau in the closet. It just didnt fit and looked like something from a dorm room.

Patio: No one likes a patio more than we do and we spend a good deal of time outside in the mornings and evenings. It was very large with a table and 4 chairs but don't even think about going out there without shoes on. The surface was large uneven squares of sand/concrete and was not grouted. It was rough on the feet, lots of stains not to mention the junk that accumulated between the squares - including cigarette butts and broken glass.

Restaurants: Old House is the best! We loved this restaurant and they never disappointed.

Staff: Very friendly and accommodating.

Overall: Not a luxury resort by any means. Maybe a 2.5 star rating in my opinion and would not return with the current nightly rates and amenities.

The Good: Location. Staff. Old House Restaurant
The Bad: Old and shabby rooms. That bathroom was a real disappointment for a suite room not to mention everything else I have outlined.
The Ugly: Parking $24/nightly. Really????

We did not have a horrible experience, it just didn't meet expectations for the price we paid.I hate feeling ripped off and think management could makes some improvements to start getting positive reviews. I would not return under these current conditions.

Room Tip: Pick another hotel until improvements are made.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear AZAZAZ,

Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor response. I deeply apologize that you did not find your accommodations to your liking and regret that we did not have the opportunity to try and make this a more memorable experience for your. I completely understand when anyone believes that they did not get value for what the purchased and hope that you will give us another opportunity in the future to meet your needs.

With regards from your friends at the Eldorado
Newburgh, Indiana
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I stayed here 3 years ago and had a great experience with everything from the check-in to the spa. This stay in August 2012 was not as quality.
The front desk made us wait for 20 minutes while they looked for our reservation.....they had spelled our name wrong...there was very little apology for our inconveniece.
The Concierge admitted not being as familiar as she needed to be because she was new but I still felt like she should have been better informed about the area versus giving us a map. The hotel carpet and rooms need some updates too.
The spa also had a new person at the desk and suggested I go on back to the dressing area and that she would be there "shortly". 15 minutes later the housekeeper in that area gave me directions on the lockers and the womens locker room. I was 5 minutes late getting to my massage and didnt get to relax in the waiting area before. I paid $195 and didn't feel like the experience justified this expense. The massage therapist was excellent though.
The one good thing that didn't change............"The Old House", the restaurant at the hotel. The hostess, servers, manager who checked on your experience and the food are still amazing. You may want to pass on the hotel but don't pass on the Old House.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear Islandgirl66indiana,

We appreciate your recent stay with us and your candid comments. I want to take this opportunity to apologize that your experience with us was less than what you have come to expect. We are in the process of making many wonderful changes and along with that comes growning pains. No excuses for our not having made your stay a memorable one.

We do hope you will come back and see us in the near future as it is our goal to make the Eldorado your favorite hotel while in Santa Fe.

With regards from your friend's at the Eldorado Hotel.
Boulder, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

Having tried unsuccessfully to get a vacation rental for the Labor Day Weekend, and unable to decide which of the rather tired and overpriced accommodations around the plaza to pick, I opted to name my price for a 4-star hotel and was assigned the Eldorado.

The Location: Fantastic. Two short blocks to the plaza. Plenty of shopping, restaurants, and parking nearby.

Check in: The car-port area gets super congested (not enough valets). We pulled up to check-in and unload only since we did not wish to pay $24/night and there is a public garage kitty corner to the hotel for less (provided you don't go in and out often). Hubby asked for a nice room, and we were given room 410, which had a nice south facing balcony with chairs, though it was right by the elevators.

The Room: Passable but well on it's way to shabby and tired - not 4-star accommodations. The carpet didn't actually meet the outside wall and had what looked like a cigarette burn in it. The chair and couch were kind of saggy and had an aura of dinginess. The bed was comfy if a little soft. The bathroom looked like it was probably refreshed more recently than the rest of the room: Nice vanity, super clean toilet, and a large shower (no tub). The shower head was very weak.

The Problem: Loud people woke us up at night as they disembarked the elevator. And, since it turns out room 410 is right under the gym, people running on the treadmill woke us up bright and early. We called the front desk around 10am to get a new (quieter!) room. We were told it wouldn't be a problem, they'd call us back shortly. No return phone call. 2 more calls to the front desk later we told them to sort it out and leave us a message as we didn't want to waste the day. No problem.

Fast forward to the afternoon, when we return and still don't have a message from the front desk. Call #4 down to the desk, results in further frustration and hubby asks to speak with Larry (the manager) who tells him moving us that morning would have been easiest. (Duh.) Long story short, we are moved to the room farthest away from the elevators (seriously a good 2 minute walk at a brisk pace. Room 356, I think it was.). This room is also verging on shabby, very dark being on the northeast corner, and the shower grout is falling out. The kicker is that the fridge or a/c has a very loud high-pitched whine, so this room isn't exactly peaceful either.

Larry gave us a $30 breakfast credit for the hassle. The bacon was delicious - the oatmeal and hashbrowns average.

The Short Version: We won't be coming back. The service was poor and the rooms are in need of a facelift before they can, in good faith, charge the prices they do. I'm glad we went thru a 3rd party and didn't pay the going rate.

Room Tip: Room 410 is under the gym and the racket from people running on the treadmill early in the morning i...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Larry W, Guest Relations Manager at Eldorado Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Dear Merivel,

Thank you for your recent stay with us even though it was less than what you had expected. Your candid comments are appreciated as we use those as a tool for continued improvement.

I do apologize that the conditions of the room was less than satisfactory and this information will be shared with Housekeeping and Engineering department for immediate correction.

We do hope that you will join us for future stays so that we might try and change your initial impression of our property.

With regards from your friend's at the Eldorado.

Been to Eldorado Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!