“Was skeptical but loved it” 4 of 5 stars

Santa Fe Sage Inn
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   725 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Ranked #27 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Boston, Massachusetts
“Was skeptical but loved it”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

Not a big fan of Cerrillos Road and the lodgings there, mainly because it's a standard piece of strip highway you can find just about anywhere. Needed a place for one night and wanted to be close to town. Couldn't find anything safe with a reasonable rate. Then a friend suggested this place. I was skeptical because Cerrillos Road has more of a commercial big-city vibe and I wanted a Santa Fe feel.

Turns out I got the SF feel at a pretty reasonable price. The hotel room was perfect. Clean and quiet and decorated in the SF style. Exercise room was just a few doors down and well-maintained. The entire property was in fantastic shape.

I expected breakfast to be just quick muffins, but there was coffee, fresh milk and juice, cereal, even a waffle maker. The breakfast room was quite nice and you could sit outside on a patio if you preferred.

Hotel was about a mile from the plaza area, just a block or so past the Santa Fe hotel and motel, which charge considerably more for rooms. Not a bad walk to town if that's what you prefer. Easy five-min walk to the Railway district, with its great shops and restaurants.

Only reason I wouldn't give the place a five is that they charge a small fee for parking, which to me seems nit-picky and cheap. It's not like the Sage is right near the plaza and folks want to sneak into the hotel lot and park there. They offer a shuttle service but it stops at 8 pm. Anyhow, there's so much cheap parking downtown, I don't really understand why anyone with a car would bother using the shuttle.

I had a great, quick stay. Staff was lovely. Great, reliable internet service. Was able to print out my boarding pass in the charmingly appointed hotel lobby without any problems at all.

I would definitely stay here again for a one night trip. More than one night, I'd consider spending the cash and staying within walking distance of town, but that's just me.

Room Tip: My room was quite near the main road and still quiet and peaceful. Not sure if there is a bad room i...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Danielle211, Guest Relations Manager at Santa Fe Sage Inn, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
We are so glad that you followed your friend's recommendation directly to our door. I am glad the Sage Inn was able to accommodate you so well and we appreciate you taking the time to post these comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Santa Fe is a terrific place to eat and shop. So why pay up for lodging when most of the downtown attractions are within a mile radius of the plaza? You can't use them up in a day, that's for sure. Grab a room at the Sage Inn on Cerrilos Road. It's right across from the terrific Santa Fe Farmer's Market (Saturdays). The Railyard dining and shopping area is just a little further and the downtown area and wonderful Canyon Road (upscale art shopping) are within a half mile. Sagehouse Bakery and a couple of cozy brewpubs are also just a few blocks. Even better, there's a Whole Foods Market right next to the Sage Inn, so you can stock your room fridge with treats and drinks to have when retreating from the bright days rambling around the area on foot. Heck, you can eat there too -- their lineup of takeout stuff rivals a lot of good restaurants in choice and quality, and they have nice seating areas. The hotel runs a free shuttle to downtown and back if you don't want to walk. I'll deduct a point because they charge $5 a night to park, but the fact is, there's not much easy parking around there. Rooms are just big enough, well appointed and clean, in our experience. Good bed. Good air conditioners. Nice little pool. The free breakfast is bare bones but adequate. If you want a more classic Santa Fe lodging experience, one strategy is to grab 3 nights at Sage Inn then move to one of the cool B&Bs near the plaza, such as Hacienda Nicolas for the other 3. Spend the savings on food and wine, or that unique Southwestern item you'll enjoy when you get home.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are notably quieter; downstairs you can hear people walking above. However, it wasn...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

Staff was very friendly! They had my room ready well before the 4pm check in time which I appreciated considering my boyfriend and I had driven 6 hours to get to town and really just wanted a nap. Location wise - it's a block and a half away from a liquor store and right across the street from the Railyard. It's also less than a mile from downtown; If you don't mind walking that, it doesn't seem like that much of a hike due to the short blocks and the array of interesting sites on the way there. The hotel is also really conveniently located near a Walgreens and highway 25. What I did not like about the room was that it smelled like sweaty feet the entire time we were there. We tried to air it out but to no avail. We also got a surprise the first night after retiring from the day - a giant centipede was crawling on the wall above the TV. Upon checkout today and cleaning the room up, I got the surprise of a lifetime when I moved the bed comforter a bit and saw a GIANT hard shelled Beatle cozying up in it; don't know if it was sleeping with us last night or just made its way onto the comforter as I was getting ready, but it was terrifying nonetheless. On the flip side the breakfast options were pretty sweet: waffle makers, a variety of juices and muffins that were well covered. Overall a decent experience. I loved the location and considering how much I did (or didn't pay) to stay there, not a bad deal

• Stayed July 2014
Plano, tx
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This hotel is a good combination of value and location. It is right across the street from a great park and the outdoor market. Also right next door to a whole foods market. It is also walkable distance to the center of town (if you opt against the free town shuttle.) We did not need our car for anything while we were there. Rooms were a bit smaller than we like, and the pool was pretty small. Breakfast was very good with a decent variety of food. Overall the place was clean, quiet and friendly. I will stay here again if I return to Santa Fe.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Had a overall good experience, the breakfast bar is lacking, very disappointing actually, access to downtown and whole foods is a higher reason I chose it, hotel gym is good for a hotel, treadmills are life fitness and there are free weight dumbells, need to get a spin bike. Lost and found could use a lot of improvement, called twice and went in once for my forgotten iPhone charger And all 3 times I was made to feel like it was my fault, finally gave up and didn't pursue my charger. Will stay again but will make sure I don't forget anything. You have a good location, hire folks that keep customer service at the pinnacle of their focus, thank you

Stayed July 2014
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Our family of 4 has stayed at the Santa Fe Sage Inn twice. It is an excellent value. This is not a luxury hotel. It has smallish, quaint, well decorated rooms. The service is excellent and the room was very clean. When we are looking for a quick Santa Fe getaway but are low-budget, this is where we stay. Bonus: VERY close to Whole Foods. Five minute drive to the plaza.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Danielle211, Guest Relations Manager at Santa Fe Sage Inn, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
We want to thank you for your comments. We are so happy to be able to accommodate you and your family and we hope to see you again.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We stayed 2 nights at the Santa Fe Sage Inn. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have a shuttle to get you to the Plaza area. The location was good but the rooms were a little cramped. The room was clean. My husband and I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thanks so much for taking the time to write your review. We are so glad to know that your stay was everything you needed it to be. We will hope to see you again on your next visit to Santa Fe.

Been to Santa Fe Sage Inn? Share your experiences!