“Great value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2008

For the price it can't be beat. We just returned from a 9-day stay, and found it excellent - clean, quiet rooms, friendly and helpful staff. The breakfasts were very good, and free access to a computer was helpful for emails and car bookings, etc. Ask about lower rates if you stay longer than a week. We were on winter rates (April) and the weekly rate was just over half the daily rate! What we saved paid for the car and most of our meals. (Not sure if they do a weekly rate in high season, so ask.) Sure you can find nicer places in old adobe homes, but you will pay big bucks for the pleasure. A hotel is for sleeping - spend your savings on having fun! I would stay there again, no problem.

• Liked — great value
  • Disliked — rooms are quite ordinary, but for the price they were very nice
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
jackson hole wy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2008

This place was the BEST. The 2 girls who work at the front desk, Elizabeth and Shauna, were most friendly and gave wonderful suggestions for restaurants.
Would most definitely stay there again or recommend it to anyone.

• Liked — best value
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reuilly-Sauvigny, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2008

The Sage Inn in central Santa Fe was recommended to me by a colleague. A positive review in the New York Times travel section confirmed it was a good choice for a 3 week stay being a third or less the cost of hotels in the congested Plaza area. Last year, 2007, I stayed across the street at a Travel Lodge which was good value but I had to change rooms three times for one where things worked.

This year, after 3 weeks at the Sage Inn, I would stay no where else my next trip to Santa Fe. Here are some of the reasons why.

The 24/7 front desk staff was uniformly helpful. Every request was handled efficiently. I had two problems during 3 weeks there. The first, a heater/AC started malfunctioning. I reported it at breakfast and by the time I returned in afternoon it had been replaced by a spanking new Carrier unit. The second was harder to deal with. Parts of the Sage Inn, originally a typical two storey '80s motel, had been built with floors that transmit footsteps of lodgers above. After a few nights of awakening to this unwanted 4am wake up call - who gets up at 4am? - I asked for a room on the 1st floor. With no hesitation they upgraded me to a room in a section that had been recently renovated. Ahh, blissful sleep, plus a more refined decor and two queen beds as well.

Other highlights: The free breakfasts were beyond expectations with a wide choice of self-serve foods plus an agreeable decor, warmed by a traditional kiva style fireplace. The free high-speed wi-fi worked well except one day when a back-hoe working next door cut the cable and it took Quest a couple hours to fix it. For guests without computers the Inn provides two workstations in an alcove off the reception area. Safe deposit boxes are in the office, not the rooms.

Housekeeping was impeccable. Very clean rooms. Each room had a coffee maker, iron and board, luggage rack, desk and 5 lights for reading and working (but no eco bulbs yet!). There were 36 channels on satellite TV. Not to forget the little swimming pool, apparently open year round with water at over 90° F! I tested it in February with my finger! I was told a guests' laundry and fitness room is in the works for a space that I noted is currently empty.

Besides value, the best thing about the Sage Inn is LOCATION. Googlemap the address 725 Cerrillos Road to see just how central it is, about 6 blocks or a 30 minute walk from the Santa Fe Plaza and 10 minutes from the famous Tomasita's restaurant. Many of my meals, however, came from the Whole Foods Market, which backs onto the Sage Inn, and where I bought soups, salads or sandwiches as needed. Across Cerrillos Road from the Inn the City of Santa Fe is building a chic park (railyardpark_dot_org) extending from downtown past the Inn and beyond with landscaped walking, bike paths and yet more culture. Just another feature due to open in July 2008 in this wonderful city.

• Liked — Location, staff, breakfast
  • Disliked — Nothing comes to mind
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2008

This place is great! If you're travelling for the food and sites, this place is perfect. My husband and I didn't want an in-house spa or massage table, so we decided to book the Sage Inn. We stayed on the first floor in a room with a king-sized bed, and the room was a bit small, but it's all we needed. Be sure to book a room that is on the end and on a upper floor to counter noise level. We were here on spring break, and there were a lot of kids here skiing.

The Sage Inn has a shuttle to downtown - which isn't too far at all - and the parking lot at the Inn is plenty big. A lot of other places downtown have "excess parking lots," which are so far away they're not even on the plaza anymore.

The wireless the Sage Inn has (which I am typing this review from) works great. The connection is stable and it's never broken. Definately a place for couples that are wanting to get out and about!

Stay here and you won't be dissappointed!

• Liked — Quality Service
  • Disliked — Noise Level
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2008

I spent 2 nights here on a weekend break seeing the local sights. I decided not to take a chance on priceline as I wanted a hotel in walking distance of the Plaza & this place was in a great location. The rate was about $60 a night booking direct with the hotel. I found it good value, especially as they include free wifi & free berakfast. There's ample parking & the free bottles of water & good supplies of tea & coffee in the rooms are also nice touches. When you add in the friendly, helpful staff, it's a great choice - especially at these prices.

• Liked — Location and price
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Chazy, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2008

We originally planned to stay at the Sage Inn for five nights, on the recommendation of a friend. We checked in after a long drive and the room was only about 55 degrees. The heat took over 3 hours to warm the room enough to get out from under the covers and take off our coats! When we complained to the front desk the next morning we were met with blank looks and no proper customer service to speak of.

We have since gotten the run-around and poor treatment from the manager... Promises to return calls and never does, always in a meeting... you get the picture.

It's a cheap motel that has been made-up in "Santa Fe" style. Smells like a cheap motel, trust your nose!

If you want a wonderful stay in Santa Fe - go to the Old Santa Fe Inn.

Stayed January 2008
Amarillo, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2008

My husband and I booked the Sage Inn through Hotwire for one night of our three day stay. I have to say that after we stayed there the first night we wish we had booked it for our entire trip.

Let me start by saying very friendly staff upon check-in. That is always important to me. It sets the mood for your whole visit. I called the hotel at 11:00am as my husband and I were pulling into town. I asked if there would be any possibility of us checking in early. The lady was very friendly, and told us yes, just come by and the room would be ready. Might I mention the last place we stayed in Santa Fe was not as accomodating at all when we arrived early. So we were very greatful. Well she checked us in and gave us our room key and to my surprise she had us in a superior room. I had called a few days earlier and asked what the charge would be if we wanted to upgrade to a superior. I was told that they showed us staying in a traditional, but the charge would be 20 dollars if we did want to upgrade. So when we were put in the superior anyway I was so excited.

The room was very cozy w/ plush bedding and pillows. Southwest style. To anyone who has ever stayed at Inn of the Governors these rooms are very similar. We had very nice sleep. The property seemed very quiet.

In the morning we had planned on going out for breakfast until be saw the selection and cleanliness of the breakfast area at the hotel. There were several kinds of bagels, bread for toast, waffles, fruit, yogurt, granola, cereals, oatmeal, juices, and coffee. Everything you would expect out of a continental breakfast. Plus a nice attendant that was there if you needed anything, to restock, or just clean up.

Overall very impressed w/ the Sage Inn especially for the value. We definetly will stay here again for future trips to Santa fe. If you are however looking for something very close to the square this may not be the property for you. But if you are up some fresh mountain air the walk is not too terribly bad, and the drive is 1 - 2 mins. tops.

• Liked — Friendliness and cozy room
  • Disliked — Liked everything
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Santa Fe Sage Inn? Share your experiences!