“The Kind Of Bargain You Can't Wait To Brag About, But Always HOPE To Find” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Santa Fe Sage Inn

Special Price
Need a Santa Fe Getaway?
Ranked #26 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Dallas, Oregon
“The Kind Of Bargain You Can't Wait To Brag About, But Always HOPE To Find”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2011

I had the opportunity to stay at The Sage Inn for 4 days. I didn't know anything about the hotel, and had never been to New Mexico, but I got a fantastic Hotwire deal on the hotel that included breakfast and I had some free air miles so I was excited to go. My sister and I booked the hotel sight unseen knowing as long as it was in a safe neighborhood and didn't seem like a brothel we would be fine since we wouldn't be in the room much anyway.
To our great delight and discovery the hotel was close to absolutely everything in the Santa Fe Plaza we wanted to see, it was in walking distance of museums, shopping, restaurants, or public transport. We found the hotel well lit, but not to bright for sleeping, very clean and groomed grounds, with a nice laundramat, There was plenty of parking and a quiet room at the backside of the hotel next to, and overlooking a beautiful and quiet city park space. I would book my mother a room here and know she would be safe, happy and looked after, but not bothered.
The hotel desk provided maps upon check in and a free in town shuttle driven by fantastic and polite, friendly drivers who treated us like family. The staff were so prompt and informative right down to the breakfast room help who told us of a place to explore that was a favorite of his. The rooms were spotless, housekeeping was accommodating, I found the room well appointed with the basics, updated local decor, no funk, and with a $5.00 per day rental of a room refrigerator we were set.
We didn't want to just be tourist, but learn the city like a local, visiting the 'Must See' sights, but the hidden gems on a local can know. We were surprised to find during our breakfast in the hotel breakfast room, a personal invitation to a $12.00 walking tour of downtown from the guide. Best money spent on the trip and we were on a TIGHT budget. We hopped the free Inn Shuttle with the guide (Jerry Rightman) and started our adventure at the State Capitol. We were introduced to local and state history, art, shopping, and even several hidden treasures of history I imagine few locals are even aware exist. The weather was cold, rainy, snowy, and it didn't hamper the tour at all, as Jerry was very humorous, well informed, and took an interest in the things we wanted to know about. Even if you do not stay at the Sage Inn, I highly recommend Jerry Rightman Tour Guide and Museum Docent.Contact at the Inn or lasdosbks@aol.com His love and knowledge of art and history comes out in his tour, without the stuffy docent attitude gallery towns can sometimes present. We made friends, not just travel plans when we stayed in this hotel. If you need a good, friendly, safe and clean place to stay but not all the trimmings of a five-star resort hotel, this is the place to stay. Nice Breakfast selection/24 hour coffee, coin-op laundry so you can wash your clothes, good people who love living in New Mexico on staff, and every accommodation you need when away from home. In my book this was a 5 star experience in a 3-4 star hotel.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family

825 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Taunton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2011

Wonderful hotel, the service was first class. Having a free shuttle service meant we could be car free in a wonderful city. A good breakfast was included in the very reasonable price and the proximity to the Railyard was a real advantage as we could catch our Railrunner train to Albuquerque. Rooms were attractive with enough space (we had a double Queen room) so we weren't bumping into each other. Great beds, we had two very peaceful nights.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2011

This is a basic motel that offers a few amenities in a great location. It is clean and they offer a basic, average breakfast bar. There are not a lot of frills but they do try to give a little of the 'Santa Fe' feel with the decor. I used the motel as a 'base camp' for exploring the area, returning at night for a clean place to sleep. It is within walking distance of the Plaza, some decent cafes and a Whole Foods (next door).

Room Tip: I used Hotwire and got a screaming deal.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Las Cruces, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2011

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Sage Inn. Rooms included a refrigerator, nice size, breakfast bar, and local shuttle service. Staff friendly. Definitely would stay there again.

Local shuttle is great for getting around Downtown Santa Fe. But don't be in a hurry, since you might have to wait for pick up and drop off.

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

I very much appreciated discovering this motel. They have a shuttle that takes you into the heart of town and picks you up if you want that service. For those who like to walk, it could be considered to be in walking distance of the center of town. There are two computers to use free of charge. The breakfast is quite ample. The rooms are totally fine and clean and have a bit of Santa Fe charm. It is very quiet, too. There's also a small pool. I would definitely stay there again. My only "complaint" if you will is that the Taos Pueblo was closed the day I wanted to go there and I didn't learn it from my hotel but from another hotel. The Governor's office sends e-mails to the hotels to tell them if the Taos Pueblo closes unexpectedly. The hotel staff learned about it the day after I learned about it. This information should be shared immediately and they should put a sign up for guests so they know about it in order to prevent driving all the way there only to find out the pueblo is closed.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room in back.
  • Stayed April 2011
West Seneca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

My husband and I just left the Sage Inn after trying to get away together for over 6 months now. Our work keeps us pretty busy! I have to say, I have never had such fun staying at a hotel! The staff really cared about us and took great care to make sure we were having a special time. By the second time they saw us in the lobby, they knew our names and greeted us like we were old friends. They made great recommendations for things to do and what restaurants to dine in and never steered us wrong. The rooms are a little small, but definitely the cleanest I have ever stayed in. Even though the hotel is on the main street of Santa Fe, the rooms are set back from the road and we never heard any traffic sounds. The free shuttle picked us up and dropped us off anywhere in the plaza with just a phone call. We never waited more than 15 minutes. We felt like we had our own personal driver. The mattresses were very comfortable and we both slept soundly,(much needed, I might add). I can't wait to go back again! Thank you to all the staff who made us feel welcomed!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms are quieter
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
denver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

The "no-frills" Sage is ideally located and has some of the lowest room rates in Santa Fe. If you aren't headed to Santa Fe for an extended visit - where you plan on relaxing in your room in front of a kiva with a bottle of wine - you will be very satisfied at the Sage. The rooms are older and small (think European) but the beds are comfortable. There really is no place in the room to sit comfortably (other than on the bed). There is a complimentary breakfast served each morning, which includes limited varieties of fresh fruit, dry cereal, hardboiled eggs, bagels, toast and "toaster waffles". The food seemed exceptionally bland and I would recommend a walk next door to Whole Foods or a block down the street to the Sage Bakery if you want something more than mere sustainance. The bathrooms are older and small, but clean. The staff is very friendly and helpful and seems to care about the comfort of the guests. For a short stay to enjoy all that Santa Fe has to offer, the Sage provides an exceptional value ... including free parking! If you want to spend time in your room relaxing, this probably is not your best choice.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Santa Fe Sage Inn? Share your experiences!