“Nice room & stay (except for guests above us)” 3 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #28 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Crowley, TX
“Nice room & stay (except for guests above us)”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

My husband and our 33-year-old daughter recently spent 2 nights this past week at the Best Western Plus Inn. The room (suite) we stayed in was nice --it had 3 beds (two in one room; and a King in the separate room.) However, there a door was not there to "divide" the two rooms - it was all "open". I would recommend to Best Western to put at least a "folding" type door between the two to really separate the rooms. There was a balcony off the King room.. The fan - a/c-heater was in the room with the king bed in it (so it was hard to get air into the room with 2 beds in it and was uncomfortable for the person in the King room for the setting to try to heat each room..) The bathroom was rather small, but manageable. There was a separate sink, microwave/frig area - which was nice to have. It was pretty clean, although one fo the pillows did have what appeared to be a "fresh" stain of some sort on it; and the coverlet on my bed had what appeared to be a small blood stain on it (it was covered by the decorative blanket so may not have been noticed by the cleaning staff.) Quite a bit of light shone underneath the door and through the blinds on the sliding glass/balcony door. The biggest complaint though was that the guests above us had young children (which sounded like a herd of elephants running above us at times and they were actually vibrating our room.) I didn't bother calling the front desk though - as it was generally past 8:00 a.m. when the noise was the worst (we were just trying to sleep in). I requested the top floor (for that very reason), but our type of room with 3 beds must not have been available on the 3rd floor. You could also hear doors slamming on our floor; and the elevators, ice machine, etc. The price was decent though; and the staff was wonderful. Overall, I would recommend the Best Western (although I will not stay again unless they can definitely put me on the top floor). The breakfast was adequate (cereals, juices, bagels, pastries, toast, etc.) - although I recommend that you get there as early as possible for decent selections.

Room Tip: ask for the top floor
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2011

We really enjoyed this hotel. Both the room and the lobby were very comfortable, extremely clean and nicely decorated. Front desk staff were friendly and very helpful, especially in terms of assisting us with planning our visit to the Santa Fe Plaza district. Breakfast was good. We didn't get a chance to use the pool but it looked very nice. The location was very convenient as we could easily walk to either restaurants or shopping. I definitely plan to stay here again on my next trip to Santa Fe.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2011

Hotel was just okay--we expected more of a Best Western Plus. We didn't realize how far away we'd be from the parts of Santa Fe that we planned to visit--our fault for not checking things out better. Breakfast was below average. Not a very memorable stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2011

We haven't stayed at many Best Western hotels in our travels the last few years because the properties have been kind of hit and miss. As we were choosing our room for the night this property's sign stating "Pets Stay Free" and the fact that it was a Best Western "Plus" led us to try it for the night. It was about $18 less than the room at our preferred chain next door. No problem on check-in with one large dog and a smaller one (admittedly both better behaved than most humans). The clerk was friendly and gave us a "quiet" top-floor room away from any road noise as requested. The room was spacious and seemed clean. The king bed was reasonably new and comfortable enough, there was a functional little "wet bar" with small microwave and fridge and a decent size desk. Our only minor complaint was the bathroom was small with no counter space to put your toiletries, and the shower head was kind of funky. There was really no great area to take your dogs to relieve themselves except a small strip of mulch & dirt between the property and some commercial buildings next door, but it was adequate for the job. For a hotel that advertises itself as pet-friendly it might be a nice touch to designate an area and put some poop bags there. The other thing that struck us as odd was they still had incandescent bulbs everywhere, and high wattage ones at that. 400 watts above the sink in the little bathroom as not only bright as heck but hot! And despite the upgrades to the decor and furniture they still had a big tube TV in the room. But back to the positive... Breakfast was typical and went from 6-10am and they didn't have Fox News on in the breakfast area. Check-out was again friendly and quick. We would stay here again. Good to see Best Western upgrading their properties and competing with the other chains.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Nashville, TN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2011

Stayed here with some girlfriends and it's an ok hotel. Rooms were clean and beds were comfy, but the rooms seem really dark due to the wallpaper and carpet choices. Breakfast is below average (although the cinnamon rolls are pretty good), and the breakfast room is very crowded due to having just a few tables. No fridge in room. We had no problems here, but I will probably stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Oklahoma City
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

First, the positives:

The room and bathroom were clean and well appointed (plenty of towels, pillows, etc). The decor was warm and inviting. The staff was friendly and helpful (we asked for a good restaurant nearby). The bed was comfy and the a/c worked well. There was plenty of hot water and it didn't suddenly change temperature like at many other hotels. The breakfast buffet food was tasty (hard boiled eggs, cereal, yogurt, waffles, toast, etc) and well-stocked. I slept really well for being in a hotel. FREE WIFI!

The negatives:

As some other reviewers have mentioned, the doors slam loudly unless you shut them carefully. So, not everyone does that and there are loud door slams from time to time. Luckily, they either didn't happen overnight or I was too tired to notice because it didn't wake me up. The only time I noticed was while awake.

My husband and I had spent the day before in Mesa Verde, so after hiking and a long drive, we really wanted to get in the hot tub. The hot tub was only lukewarm (despite the sign outside that read "our hot tub is 104 degrees"), the jets didn't impress, and the water was murky and seemed unclean.

The blinds on the window in our room (room number 104) were wooden slats (not the normal light blocking curtains in most hotels). One side shut just fine, but the other had slats that would not shut. It ended up taking about 9 sheets of paper, folded into little squares and shoved between the slats, to keep them shut. Even after that, once the a/c kicked on overnight, two slats fell open.

This was the first hotel I've been to in at least 5 years that still has tube televisions in the room. Ok, it's not that big of a deal to me ... I'm not that picky. However, the tv sits so low that you have to sit up in bed to watch (can't watch lying down). It wasn't a problem for me because I don't like to watch tv in bed, but my hubby does and this small thing really started to irritate him, so FYI.

Room Tip: There is a book of sample menus from local restaurants in the lobby.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2011

I usually love Best Westerns but this one was nasty. When we arrived, we could not check in early - the receptionist flatly refused it without thinking or checking. Then when we did check in and dragged 3 suitcases and bags up to a third floor - we found the key did not work so another trip down and up. The bed was comfortable but we had to keep air conditioner off as it had strong smell of scummy water or drain and I was afraid this means it might have nasty bacteria in it. I never smelt anything like it, disgusting :(
Our bath had brown water in it and I had to ask for this to be cleaned. It was leaking from somewhere within the bath fittings.

Staff not great. I changed the room I booked from queen to a king bed. At 7.30 in the morning we were called on the room phone to ask if we were in that room - despite having do not disturb on the door. I later pointed this out to the receptionist, that I wanted to sleep but she didn't seem even apologetic and just said housekeeping needed to know which room we were in. If that was so, could they not walk down the hall and check the sign on the door before ringing. It seems that if they are up and about, sleep of the guests means little to them.

The hallways smelt of dust and dirt and sweat, area around the lift of smelly socks. very stuffy too. really not Best Western standard - I have always stayed at clean ones and this shocked me.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Inn of Santa Fe? Share your experiences!