“Friendly and acommodating, convenient to all amenities” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   2405 Cerrillos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Hotel virtual tour
Ranked #33 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Wickford, Rhode Island
“Friendly and acommodating, convenient to all amenities”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

Friendly and accommodating staff, comfortable and very convenient to consignment stores and places I had to do business with during my 4 day visit. Very good value for money and I would stay again and recommend to others visiting Santa Fe.

Room Tip: Upper floor rooms or behind the hotel are quieter
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business

212 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Waterflow, New Mexico
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Spring break trip found us stopping at around 9 PM for a room. We had 2 queen beds, a fridge and microwave, and a bathroom. Had a bit of a hard time finding a place to plug in my phone for the night, but I managed.

This is an older hotel, but is still in decent shape and has been pretty well maintained. If you're looking for fancy, keep looking.

If you have a chance, check out the pool. Hot tub isn't really anything to scream about... it worked while I was there... and there are beautiful plants all around. It was a beautiful contrast to the usual sterile painted-concrete ambiance of a hotel pool.

The hot breakfast was fine... I had waffles and a muffin.

Good stay. I enjoyed it just fine. I would have rated it a three but for me the pool bumped it to 4.

Room Tip: Ground floor is always nice. Internet is spotty, but there are several signals to connect to so it w...
Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Denver
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

We traveled over spring break with 2 kids, 11 and 6. Temps were in the 50s and 60s, comfortable to be outside. We booked a kitchenette room that included 2 queen beds and a sleeper sofa. The room had a stove, oven, microwave, coffeemaker, small fridge, dishes/pans/utensils, table and chairs. There's a TV with cable and a DVD player. Continental breakfast is included so we didn't use the kitchen much but the extra bed and larger room were good to have. The rooms was in a separate building across the street from the rest of the hotel complex so it was quiet. The room was $85/day. This was one of two properties in the SFe area that had an indoor pool and this is closer to downtown.

If you're looking for a posh place, this isn't it but it is clean and the staff is friendly. There is a game room next to the breakfast area so we also played ping pong. Breakfast is toast, cereal, biscuits and gravy, waffles, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, juice, milk and coffee.

The small hot tub worked fine - says capacity is 5 but at least 7 squeezed in - and the pool was warm. Beds were fairly comfortable and the pillows were better than average. For kids: there's a small playground three blocks away, at Declovina and Maclovia. A nice riverfront park (Frenchy's Field) with a playground, labyrinth and 1/3-mile path is 1 mile away - go 2 blocks north of the hotel, left on Osage, then follow that street until it ends.

Runners: It's 5 miles from the hotel to Frenchy's Field, then northwest to downtown. After 2.5 miles on the riverfront trail you run into intersections and traffic, but overall it's a nice route. There's a port-a-john at the riverfront and restrooms at the sports complex 1.5 miles up the river.

Negatives: the wi-fi didn't work consistently in the room and the pool towels are on the small side. We also had to replace our room keys twice because they stopped working. The bathtub hot water tap was loose but it still worked. I consider these minor issues considering the price and amenities. I'd stay here again with kids.

Other area kid-friendly activities we liked: children's museum, hanging out downtown at the square, bug museum at DeVargas Mall, Cowgirl Cafe downtown (small playground in the back!), Frenchy's Field riverfront park.

Room Tip: Get a kitchenette for a little more money and you'll have a larger, quieter room
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2014

I have stayed at the Lamplighter twice on monthly trips that take me through Santa Fe. I only need a room for the night and this motel fits the bill. Its been clean, quiet and comfortable. Room lighting is adequate. Both visits, the rooms look to have been recently painted and re-carpeted. Check in has been fast with no hassles. And the value is great using the ABVI loyalty card. I haven't tried the breakfast or pool. If your stay is longer than a night or two in Santa Fe, you may be more comfortable in a more upscale hotel or stay downtown to be close to attractions, but for my needs, its been great.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the main road.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Spend a few dollars more and get something newer. How they got a 4 dots on Trip Advisor is a mystery to us. The girl at the front desk called the manager and he said we could check out and he'd refund our money. It was after 8:30.We got back from dinner and went to use the jacuzzi which was why we chose the hotel. It looked like kids had used it for a toilet and I turned the jets on to see and nothing. Manager doesn't care.

• Stayed March 2014
Grand Bend, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We spent two nights here in late Feb. We were attracted by the reviews & the price. It is right on Cerrillos road which ends in old town and takes you to I-25 going the other direction,The rooms are a good size and quite comfortable. We were given a room facing the street on the second floor which is noisy & the walls are thin. Avoid this location, ask for a room in the back part of the of the hotel away from the noise. It is an older hotel but it was clean & served our needs. the breakfast is between a continental & a hot breakfast, no eggs or meats. However they use real plates & cups not styrofoam, To get into the breakfast area you need your key which seldom works, we required some one to let us in each morning. we feel we got a good value for the location

Room Tip: Get a location behind the main hotel away from the noise
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Vinton, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014

It has taken me 2 months to write this review. Our stay was 10 days at Christmas. Although the rate was "too good to be true", we should have realized what we were getting.
ALL things considered, I think the rate we paid to be too high for the quality.
Santa Fe is an old town, and most things in it are old. While I didn't mind worn out, I definitely was bothered by "filthy". All that being said, we still stayed in the room as we had no choice at that point, unless we wanted to completely cancel our trip.
1. Exterior - poor to run down, Not inviting (not that this has ANYTHING to do with it
2. Advertised "indoor pool" was in an unattached atrium. Therefore you had to leave the balmy 90 degree temp with NO towels and NO bathroom and go OUTSIDE to your room, Not smart.
3. Breakfast - decent to good depending on day. Had to have key to get in though, so all members of party had to go at once or be prepared to stand outside in the freezing cold until you could find someone inside willing to get up and unlock the door.
4. Area - scary. period.
5. General location. Fairly near everything we wanted, including Ski Santa Fe (which is marvelous)
6. Room - Hmmm. Terrible? Definitely dirty. Beds definitely old. Our matresses were date stamped May 2008. The room itself had a horrid odor, which we finally attributed to the water filter under the sink that had been leaking so long that they had stuck a dishtowel under it, which was dripping wet and moldy, and had been for some time. To get an idea of the problem, I will post a photo and one of the bathroom vent, which was disgustingly nasty. We had a kitchen unit and it was large and comfortable enough for 2 adults and 2 children. The internet never worked for more than 3 hours out of any day we were there. The carpets were somewhat clean, but had not been really cleaned in a long time, had a serious odor, which, when combined with the sink issue was nauseating to be sure. BUT, I cooked (in pots from home) daily which helped cover up the odor, along with canned air fresheners made it tolerable. It was one of those places though, that everytime you considered putting something down or sitting down, you questioned whether or not it was a smart move. The DVD did NOT work and after repeated attempts to get someone in there my husband finally MOVED the cabinet, changed the connections and fixed it himself. We left it like that. Didn't want the next guy to have the same problem. We were in a separate building across the street from the "HOTEL" style rooms in some type of converted apartments. We noticed that beyond ourselves the rest appeared to be permanently rented.
Would I stay there again? Never, not in my wildest dreams. Would I refer someone there? Well, I guess it depends on what you are used to and what you expect. I BOOKED THIS ROOM BASED ON REVIEWS AND WAS EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED.
One review stated "the outside appearance was deceiving, don't rely on it" and I believed it. I should questioned it, but really wanted to believe I could get such a good deal. Not.
The ONE and only good thing about this hotel was the cleaning staff. No matter what we left, they cleaned up. I never meant for them to wash my dishes, but the first day I had left dirty ones and when we got back they were washed! I made sure to never do that again, as I feel sure that is NOT in their job description. Be sure, that they cleaned everyday, to the best of their ability, a worn out, stinky room.
I guess the point of my review is this: If you pay $60/night for a room with a kitchenette, atrium pool, free breakfast, daily maid service, you could rate this room a 3. If you expected anything else it would get one star and no where in your wildest dreams would it EVER warrant a 5. That includes dropping the price to $25/night.
CURTAINS: There were only the ones on the front windows. Thin, smelled and the linings could best be described as "tattered". It was easy to see when the sunlight hit them in the mornings.
As you can tell, we were not overjoyed with this stay. However, not so horrified that we left (but we REALLY wanted to).
***as previously mentioned in other reviews: The desk clerk/manager was virtually non-existent and the door to the "lobby" was always locked. Remember we were there 9 nights.
So, the end result is this. You must decide if cost is worth disgusting. If you want to go "on the cheap" this will do. We had no resulting illnesses from staying there. That's about the best I can say of it.

Room Tip: I never saw the rooms in the main building. This is only my description of an apartment style room...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Been to Americas Best Value Lamplighter Inn of Santa Fe? Share your experiences!