“Reasonably priced in Santa FE” 4 of 5 stars

Villas de Santa Fe
3.0 of 5 Resort   |   400 Griffin Street, Santa Fe, NM 87501   |
Ranked #30 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Portland, ME
“Reasonably priced in Santa FE”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

The Villa de Santa Fe is a very reasonably priced option in SantaFe. The rooms are mostly small suites that have full kitchens. It is located about 12 minutes walking to the main plaza and has access to the major highways. They have a nice pool and 2 hot tubs. The pool is next to a major road so it tends to be a bit noisy. The staff is very helpful. We actually found the hospitality workers in this part of New Mexico to be very friendly.

The only negatives would be the lack of a small bar, no daily maid service and very bad wifi service in the out buildings. We would, however stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the highway
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Mazatlan, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We have stayed here on two trips in two years, and I just can't find anything to fault! The staff is capable, friendly, and well-versed on Santa Fe's attractions. The condos are attractive, really clean, and just a comfy place to relax between forays into the museums, artisan's shops, restaurants, parks and such. There's a pool, hot tub, reading room, gym, etc. No, it's not an ultra luxury resort, but it is a great base for Santa Fe vacations! We walked easily to the farmer's market, the old square, the G. O'Keeffe museum, the Cathedral, and Sisters of Loretto Chapel.

Stayed June 2014
Monmouth, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Our room was a living room, kitchen and separate bedroom. The staff was very helpful and friendly. They even transported us outside their normal shuttle boundary so we could pick up a rental car. Tea, coffee, espresso available, at no charge, in the public areas. Wonderful hot tub/spa, which we used nearly every night. There was even an area with a couple of propane grills and outside gathering area for the guests. We didn't take advantage of the grills, but we saw several people that did. Would definitely stay here again!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

My Groupon shopping paid off! Searched Groupon Getaways for Sante Fe and found this place. Checked reviews and purchased. It is BEAUTIFUL!! Stayed 2 nights but would have loved to stay more. It is a resort style with all the amenities! Rooms were clean, fireplaces, king beds, and kitchen. Loved access to a washer and dryer too. Staff was super sweet also.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
MILTON
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

We loved our room and found it had all we needed. It is not a "resort", but more of a hotel...but with kitchen, dining area, living room and bedroom. The public areas are very nice...loved the availability of free coffee, tea, or hot chocolate 24/7. It is in a good location to the plaza, about a 10 minute walk. Loved being able to use the shuttle although we only took advantage of it once.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2014

When my husband and I decided to stay here, we chose it because of the kitchenette. We were coming for a bike race and being able to prepare our own breakfast was a plus. When we called to make the reservation, we requested a late checkout and were told we'd need to arrange it upon checking in and that they couldn't do it in advance. The person we spoke with did not say that the hotel's policy was to refuse late checkouts; he did not sound pessimistic; he was not discouraging in any way about our likelihood of checking out late. When we checked in, we asked for a late checkout and were told we'd need to speak with the manager who wasn't working until the next morning. The woman we spoke with said she would make a note of our request for the manager. Again, no words of discouragement or disclosure of the hotel's policy to refuse late checkouts. So we made early morning plans for our checkout day under the assumption that we could check out late, which was implied by not one but two hotel employees. When we finally spoke with the manager today, she said the hotel never accommodates late checkout requests because they have too many rooms to clean. My guess is that every room in the hotel will not be simultaneously cleaned tomorrow at 10am but hey, what do I know?

Living only an hour south of Santa Fe, my family visits and stays overnight frequently--several times each year. We will definitely not be staying here again and will advise friends not to stay here either. And from reading other reviews, we aren't the only ones. What a silly policy to result in so much lost business. And please, VdSF--educate your staff as to what your actual policy is instead of implying late checkout is okay.

And as for the rest of the hotel, meh. Average and nothing special. Spend a few extra dollars and stay somewhere unique to Santa Fe with good service.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
diamondresorts, Manager at Villas de Santa Fe, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
We sincerely apologize that your recent stay did not meet your expectations and that we were inconsistent with responding to your request, but were there and wanting to help. We want all of our guests to be satisfied with their choice of staying at our resort, especially valued guest such as you and your family. We would like to note that we would like nothing more than to be able to accommodate all our guests’ requests for late check-out, yet for practical reasons, regretfully, this is not always possible. We of course apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you and we hope this has not marred your stay with us and we will see you again in the future. This will be discussed this with the team to make sure everyone is on the same page. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

After reading some of the other reviews, I have to say that I agree that this is not a resort and I would probably be upset to give up a time share for this property. However, in all fairness I do see this as something between a hotel and a resort. I rented my suite as a hotel and I am very happy with the value I got for the rate I paid, which was off season. The rooms were very nice and clean. I was in building 2 on the first floor and found the room very quiet except for the slamming entry door into the building. At night I would close the double doors to the bedroom and never heard anything. I was out all day, so that really didn't bother me. I am rating this property based on 'hotel' not resort.

The biggest reason I am not giving this property a 5 (should be more like a 3.5) is because of the guest services. While they were very nice and polite, I personally think that training is needed. I have been in the corporate sector of hotel businesses before and I am really surprised at the unnecessary wait times each and every single time I had to deal with the front desk. Upon check-in there was a couple in front of me. The clerk was on the phone talking to somebody who was obviously asking about area attractions and after a very long tiring drive, it took at least 30 minutes standing there with others coming in behind me while this girl talked on and on with this man on the phone about attractions and directions. I was exhausted and about to lay down in the floor! Perhaps she should have the training to either put the guy on hold and take care of her guests or refer the man to the local visitor information center. They do not provide housekeeping except for every 3 days and give you one coffee so when I went to ask for another, I had to wait 15 minutes while they chatted about Santa Fe in general with the woman in front of me. I decided they were trained more for tourism than for hotel guest services. Another time I went for a map and there was one person in front of me who had many questions and I noticed that there was a woman in an office next to the desk (I am assuming a manager) who never got out of her chair to help with me or the guests who were lining up behind me. Manager or not, she should have put the guest services first. As far as the $10 per day resort fees go, nobody ever told me that this included a shuttle or anything about what that fee would cover. I would have liked to have known there was a shuttle available because I had to pay $10 for parking every time I went to the plaza. I did, however, notice on my 2nd day that there was a sign that said there was no shuttle because of maintenance, so perhaps that is why nobody told me about it. I thought it was an airport shuttle they were talking about and it never occurred to me to ask about it. With staff training, this would make for a very nice hotel and I would have given it a 5.

Room Tip: Ask for building 2 and ask for extra coffee upon check-in so that you do not have to wait 15 to 30 m...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

Been to Villas de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!