“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 60 hotels in Santa Fe
Grande Prairie, Canada
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

After reading some of the other reviews, I have to say that I agree that this is not a resort and I would probably be upset to give up a time share for this property. However, in all fairness I do see this as something between a hotel and a resort. I rented my suite as a hotel and I am very happy with the value I got for the rate I paid, which was off season. The rooms were very nice and clean. I was in building 2 on the first floor and found the room very quiet except for the slamming entry door into the building. At night I would close the double doors to the bedroom and never heard anything. I was out all day, so that really didn't bother me. I am rating this property based on 'hotel' not resort.

The biggest reason I am not giving this property a 5 (should be more like a 3.5) is because of the guest services. While they were very nice and polite, I personally think that training is needed. I have been in the corporate sector of hotel businesses before and I am really surprised at the unnecessary wait times each and every single time I had to deal with the front desk. Upon check-in there was a couple in front of me. The clerk was on the phone talking to somebody who was obviously asking about area attractions and after a very long tiring drive, it took at least 30 minutes standing there with others coming in behind me while this girl talked on and on with this man on the phone about attractions and directions. I was exhausted and about to lay down in the floor! Perhaps she should have the training to either put the guy on hold and take care of her guests or refer the man to the local visitor information center. They do not provide housekeeping except for every 3 days and give you one coffee so when I went to ask for another, I had to wait 15 minutes while they chatted about Santa Fe in general with the woman in front of me. I decided they were trained more for tourism than for hotel guest services. Another time I went for a map and there was one person in front of me who had many questions and I noticed that there was a woman in an office next to the desk (I am assuming a manager) who never got out of her chair to help with me or the guests who were lining up behind me. Manager or not, she should have put the guest services first. As far as the $10 per day resort fees go, nobody ever told me that this included a shuttle or anything about what that fee would cover. I would have liked to have known there was a shuttle available because I had to pay $10 for parking every time I went to the plaza. I did, however, notice on my 2nd day that there was a sign that said there was no shuttle because of maintenance, so perhaps that is why nobody told me about it. I thought it was an airport shuttle they were talking about and it never occurred to me to ask about it. With staff training, this would make for a very nice hotel and I would have given it a 5.

Room Tip: Ask for building 2 and ask for extra coffee upon check-in so that you do not have to wait 15 to 30 m...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Colorado Springs, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2014

We have stayed several times at this location and think of it more a great room, good location but not a resort. The room is very nice, very clean, comfy bed and pillows and plenty of room. We had a balcony overlooking the pool. The amenities are limited but adequate. If you want a plush resort this is not it, but it is very nice. The best of all is the close convenient location to downtown Santa Fe. The hotel offers shuttle service to and from where ever you want to go. Parking can be difficult in Santa Fe. A couple of negative comments; they charge a "Resort fee" for ???... shuttle and coffee in the lobby as we were told, the WiFi is not reliable, need inform the guests that there is no daily housekeeping service. Oh well, all said, you go to Santa Fe for the uniqueness of the city. Yes, we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for buiding two, second floor, overlooking the pool.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Villas de Santa Fe, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
We are glad to hear you are satisfied with your recent stay at our resort. Our resort offers a relaxing atmosphere within close proximity to the excitement of downtown Santa Fé. The rooms are fully equipped, in hopes of providing each and every guest the comfort of your own home away from home destination.
The resort fee entitles you to services such as; Wi-fi, parking, pool/hot tubs, shuttle services, coffee/tea, and our exercise room. We will report the Wi-fi concerns you expressed to our third-party internet provider.
As we are a resort rather than a hotel, our rooms are not serviced daily. Our current housekeeping policy is that you will receive a midweek cleaning, as long as you are staying seven nights or more. You can also request trash pick-up and replacement linens and towels at any time during your stay. We apologize if this was not satisfactory to your needs; however, you can request a service at any time for a nominal fee.
Our team members look forward to welcoming you back for another relaxing and cultural getaway!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

My husband and I stayed two nights at the Villas de Santa Fe.
It was a usual timeshare type room, one bedroom, small kitchen, living room, clean, nice space.
Although it had a fire place, it did not work. Maintenance was called and got it working for a few minutes only for it to shut down completely right after he left. The maintenance man did tell us that he had been called the day before for this particular fireplace,so I think they really shouldn't have given this room out again until it was working. We enjoyed the room and the location of the hotel. It is not on the Plaza but within walking distance and there is a shuttle if you would rather not walk. We were surprised on our day of checkout that the checkout time was 10:00 am. We are frequent travelers and have never had a 10:00 am checkout. It was not made known to us upon checking in and it was not written on the back of the door or any where else in the room. I called the front desk, who had been very helpful until now, to ask for a half an hour more in order to get our things together and check out. We were told that this facility NEVER gives later checkouts than 10:00 am and if we were in the room any longer we would be charged. We were out within 10 minutes...and before 10:00 am. After checking out I used the lobby restroom to finish putting on my makeup. It was of no surprise that there were other women in this lobby restroom putting on their makeup too. One told me they knocked on her door and she had just texted her friend that she had been "kicked out" to check out of the villas. This, and the faulty fireplace really took the shine off this hotel.

Room Tip: Be Aware!!! 10:00AM checkout time!!!Always enforced!!!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Villas de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Thank you for your review. We apologize you had an unpleasant experience at our resort due to the maintenance anomalies you mentioned and our check out time. Our housekeeping teams work hard to ready the unit as quickly as possible. The 10am check out time provides them enough time to properly prepare our accommodations for future guests checking in later that day at 4pm. If for some reason you did not receive prior notification and this had a negative impact on your stay we apologize. We hope you reconsider your decision and allow us another opportunity to provide you a more memorable experience in the future. Thanks for your feedback.
Newbury, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Don't expect a resort; except for the well-appointed reception building, the property is more like a Holiday Inn Express. If you're staying in building one, you'll leave the main building, walk across the parking lot and into a nondescript doorway (past the trash can) to the elevator, then upstairs into the motel-like hallway. The one-bedroom unit is comfortable enough, but there is no outside space, not even a little patio - and even if there were, it would overlook the parking lot ... as the bedroom does. Be sure to pull the curtains entirely shut to keep out the parking-lot lights, but set your alarm clock because you've blocked out the morning sunshine, as well.

During our one-week stay, the WiFi was operational intermittently at best, and the outdoor hot tub expired on day 3. We were informed as we checked out that the other hot tub was working, but, um, no one had informed us of its existence .Neither had anyone informed us not to expect housekeeping. At all. (Something about the timeshare exchange -- housekeeping only for a 9-day stay. Yes, that exchange paperwork may specify midweek, but those are the rules, so no need for an apology.) It seems our check-in clerk had completely neglected to provide any information about the place other than a local map.

And we traded a 5-star 2-bedroom timeshare in Kauai for this? At least it's a good location, walking distance from the Plaza. And Santa Fe? We'd return in a heartbeat. What a fabulous destination.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Villas de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
We appreciate you taking the time to post your feedback regarding your recent stay here and terribly regret that so many aspects of it, including your assigned accommodations, were disappointing to you. Villas De Santa Fe offers a variety of rooms to satisfy the diverse needs of our guests. We assure you that we list the general room amenities of each room type on our website, so that guests can make an informed decision. We apologize that you found the specific room type, to be unsatisfactory and that you experienced intermittent internet connectivity during your stay. This will be addressed with our third party provider respectively. We are most surprised to read your comments about our team’s service. Our team members strive to be completely knowledgeable in all resort areas so they may directly assist our guests with any questions. If you did not find them to be willing to offer helpful information, we apologize, if this too, had a negative impact on your stay with us. Hopefully, you will reconsider joining us again in the future.
Pueblo, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

This supplements my review posted April 8, 2013. We are staying here right now, and WHOOPEE, they've added complimentary wifi in the rooms. Previously, you had to go to the lobby and sometimes have to wait for the two complementary computers.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Villas de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We are glad that you are happy with the changes we have implemented in regard to Wi-Fi. Your feedback is greatly appreciated. We hope you have a wonderful time here, and look forward to seeing you again soon!
Boulder
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014

Since you are never really sure what you are getting with a groupon, I was delighted to see that we got a fantastic deal. The layout is similar to what you would find at a residence inn. The sleeper sofa is very comfortable, which is not always the case. The one-bedroom suite was perfect for my family of five. Having a kitchenette even saves us money eating out and allows us to eat what we like. The BBQ by the hot tub was very handy. The kids enjoyed the heated pool.
I would definitely consider coming here again!

Stayed April 2014
Morrison, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2014

This Diamond Resort property appears to be very well-maintained. It was a nice surprise as it was more attractive in person than it was in the advertising info online. We were there in March, so off season and very reasonable. We found it to be easy access from hwy. 285 and centrally located, so within walking distance to breakfast, Georgia O'Keefe Museum, Plaza, etc. Since it was March and chilly in the evenings, it was nice to have the fireplace. Kitchen was well-appointed, esp. for a small space. We were there for three nights and the only small annoyance was noise from the plumbing in rooms above us.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
diamondresorts, Manager at Villas de Santa Fe, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience here at Villas de Santa Fe. We were very pleased to read that our accommodations, amenities, and location all exceeded your expectations. In addition to being very close to nearby attractions (which you stated is within walking distance), we also offer a complimentary transportation service to and from the resort to select nearby areas. You can contact our front desk directly for additional information. Your recommendation is greatly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you both again the next time your travels take to you back to Santa Fe!
Prices are for rooms, adults

Been to Villas de Santa Fe? Share your experiences!