“Great place to celebrate an anniversary” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
Pool Upgrades
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Austin, Texas
“Great place to celebrate an anniversary”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2010

We stayed here 20 years ago on our honeymoon and returned to celebrate our anniversary this year. Our superior king room was on the 2nd floor right next to the elevator, but we never heard any elevator noise. There was a kiva fireplace, which was stocked nightly with wood, newspaper, and a "quick start" packet. We enjoyed the fireplace both nights - even though it was July - lovely and romantic. There is a daily 4 pm complimentary tea and sherry service in the lobby, which added to the charm and upscale experience.

The bed was comfortable - plenty of pillows, and a couple extra foam pillows provided in the closet. The shampoo, shower gel, and conditioner dispensers in the shower were a nice, convenient touch, and we each had a plush bathrobe waiting for us in the closet..

The location of the hotel provides perfect walking access to the square and surrounding shops, galleries, restaurants, etc. The surrounding area felt safe at all hours of the day and night.

The hotel staff were very friendly, professional, and accommodating. They provided us with directions to a nearby restaurant (Ristra - a wonderful French restaurant!), made reservations for a flamenco dinner show for us, and upon checkout, allowed us to keep our parking spot in their lot until 4 PM so we could enjoy our last few hours in Santa Fe without having to search for parking.

The only - very minor - drawback was that our balcony was adjacent to a balcony that was used by the hotel as a storage area for firewood, hotel carts, etc.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

We decided to stay here because of all the wonderful reviews and the photos we saw online. However, we were disappointed by our experience. The service was okay and the location is good, but overall, this inn is like an old motel souped up with Santa Fe decor.

For the price we payed, we expected a better room location. Our view through the window was the unappealing outside hallway (torn, dirty carpets), next to the ice machine. We heard the ice machine running most of the night. Needless to say, we didn't sleep too well. Unfortunately, the carpet in our room was dirty - you can usually tell when the bottom of your feet turns black.

We're generally not too picky, but we decided to splurg a little on this hotel so our expectations were high... perhaps, too high. It's not a good feeling when you know you could've payed half the price and received similar accomodations.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2010

Had only one night to stay in Santa Fe so "splurged" a little for convenient location and were glad that we did. This inn is clean, well maintained, decorated with a Native American theme, features free parking in the heart of the city and wonderfully located. You can walk to the main plaza. If you want to take the trolley tour, tell the person at the front desk and they will arrange for the trolley to pick you up. Breakfast buffet was wonderful. The only negative comments are that the parking spaces are very tight and we had a compact car and the room rates were a tad high for the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

We made a loop from Texas through New Mexico and Arizona and stayed in 5 hotels and this one was BY FAR our FAVORITE! It was in a great location, close to the plaza, yet was priced very reasonably for where it was. It was fantastic to be able to park at the hotel and walk to everything without the hassle of parking in the area. The hotel itself had so much character and our room was huge! Maybe the decor wasn't up to date (as one review said) but that only added to it's charm and it was truly charming. The staff was very friendly and helpful, answering all of our questions and gave fantastic recommendations on a restaurant for New Mexican food. The complimentary breakfast buffet was AMAZING! Real scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs with green chilis etc. and a tortilla egg casserole that was fantastic! Add to that fresh cut fruit, pastries etc. and wonderful coffee. A fantastic way to start the day! All in all, the most pleasant place we have ever stayed!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

We stayed here in the Spring as we couldn't get a reservation at the Inn of Anansazi. The hotel room was a nice size, but the decor was somewhat dated. I originally thought this hotel may be a good alternative to the Inn of Anansazi due to the extra effort they put into the wine and cheese event mid afternoon, and other amenities that they claim on their website. This is a good mid to upper mid range motel, but it is not a high end establishement. The wine and cheese is in the lobby and off the hotel's pool area. People were downing their wine as fast as possible in order to get another free drink. There wasn't enough seating to accomodate the # of guests taking advantage of the wine and cheese. The concierge was not well versed in good restaurants and I found my small amount of research on the web to be more reliable than the local concierge. I don't have any other complaints than I may have misjudged the calaber of this hotel. My husband and I are ok staying at modest accomodations, but we don't like it when we are suprised by what we are getting. At best this felt like a souped up comfort inn - we were expecting a bit more.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This was the second time we stayed in this hotel. I choose it because I knew that location was very good and all the good reviews I read about it. I regretted booking in this hotel. On our arrival we asked and booked a tour of the city at the reception. As our time in Santa Fe was short we booked for the 10:00 am tour and asked for a late check out (we got until 1pm) planning to take off for our long trip back afterwards. We, of course, planned our day around that tour. The next morning when we asked where will the bus wait for us we were told that there is no place for us on the tour bus. Although we booked the previous day, no message was left in our room and we were not informed that this was the case. As a matter of fact because of this, we missed a 10:00 am tour leaving from the plaza. When we got upset about it we were offered to take a tour at 12:00 noon (apparently the tour operator by the name of Clarice had no one booked for noon and would do a tour for the two of us for price of one).
I was fortunate enough to have travelled extensively throughout the world (partially because of my profession as a doctor and a scientist but also because I am an avid traveller). I always try to take a tour of the city where I visit and have booked most of these tours through the hotels where I stayed. I have stayed in hotels with variable ratings throughout the world and USA but was always treated with due respect whether the hotel was five stars, three stars or bed and breakfast.
I believe that we were simply dumped from the tour and replaced by someone else (probably because of our names).
I felt very deeply insulted by the behavior of the hotel staff and this incident had completely ruined this experience for me. We left humiliated and deeply disturbed.

Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
SamGerberding, Manager at Inn of the Governors, responded to this review, June 8, 2010
Dear liljana,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review even though we clearly did not meet the level of service you have come to expect through your travels. I apologize that you were unable to enjoy the city tour we had promised you.

I have personally investigated the event and discovered that it stemmed from a miscommunication between our front desk and the tram driver who decides how many people may ride on the tour. As a result, we have already changed the method with which we communicate and reserve tour rides with Tours by Clarice.

I was glad to learn that the problem is so easily remedied even though I regret that we did not do this beforehand. I am also glad given it rules out that your surname had anything to do with the situation. The Inn of the Governors' staff is trained in diversity and common sense courtesy as a way of showing our commitment to every guest who stays with us regardless of their name and culture et al. You can imagine I would be apalled if in any way we did not live up to those standards.

Please feel free to contact me directly at 505.954.0332 or sam@innofthegovernors.com to discuss this further. I would also like to personally assist you for any future reservation needs so we may have a chance to show you that we can, and will, perform to your expectations.

Samuel E. Gerberding
Baltimore, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2010

This is a decent, fine hotel with a fabulous breakfast buffet in an excellent location. Our room was a king and overlooked the parking lot, which was not very nice given the beautiful views of the mountains around Sante Fe. The room was very clean and decorated with lovely Southwestern touches like the decorated tin, a lovely fireplace with lots of wood, vintage photographs and a beautiful Indian blanket over the bed. Besides the view, I didn't like the fact that there is no concierge, only one desk where the check in people were. It was my first time in Sante Fe so I had a lot of questions, but felt like I was bothering the desk everytime I asked them anything. The hotel seemed more suited to guests familiar with the area. The pool was a nice feature. The in house restaurant is very casual, a local hang out, very pretty with good food.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Inn of the Governors? Share your experiences!