“Charming and Clean” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
“Charming and Clean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This was our first stay at the inn. It is a charming hotel, with all the amenities needed. Our room door faced the street and we had a double. The room was tight with both beds, but very clean. I would suggest asking for a quite are if your are reserving your room in time. Saturday had a lot of day noise from traffic, but in the evening the noise level does quiet down. The location is close to the plaza and an easy stroll to most places and fun shops in the near vicinity.

The full breakfast is plentiful with great coffee and hot items. There is a beautiful outdoor seating area with fire place. There were not many gluten-free options. We missed the afternoon tea and sherry tasting they offer. The pool is small but heated and fantastic just to hang by and enjoy their beautiful landscaping. We continuously watched employees clean and maintain the hotel and it had a comfortable lobby.

The bar attached to the hotel seems to be a hot-spot in Santa Fe. In the late evening we watched as people lined up to get in. They served good drinks and good "Bar-food". The staff was helpful with information about events and directions.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. We were on the street side and could hear every Harley rev their engines in th...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Samuel G, General Manager at Inn of the Governors, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Dear Rsds2008,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us.

I am so pleased to know you enjoyed the breakfast, hanging out by the pool, our saloon, Del Charro and your room cleanliness. I will speak to our chef to see if we can add more gluten free options.

We hope you stay with us again when your travels bring you back to Santa Fe.

Inn of the Governors

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Cincinnati
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

My wife and I were in Santa Fe to attend the opera -- it was also an anniversary celebration. When I made our reservation months ago, I mentioned that it would be our anniversary when we'd be there and was delighted to find that we had been upgraded to larger room when we checked in. The hotel is simply lovely and the location is outstanding. Breakfast was included and, though a buffet, was quite good. The receptionists were uniformly helpful and gave us excellent advice on restaurants and sights to see.

Dear Gary23,

Happy belated anniversary! We are so glad you chose the Inn to enjoy such a wonderful event.

It is a delight to know you enjoyed the opera as well as our complimentary breakfast buffet, location and staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Natchitoches, Louisiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I chose the Inn of the Governors on the basis of a newspaper review. On balance, I was glad we stayed. The room was large, with a fireplace, and very comfortable. The shower was good, and the room was clean. The internet signal was strong. The breakfast was a filling, tasty buffet (eggs, potatoes, a layered tortilla dish, sausage - the standards), not extraordinary, but certainly satisfying. The location, just a few minute-walk from the plaza, was ideal.

The room was moderately expensive (about $350/night, with taxes). By itself it was nice, but I found the hotel service just a little off-putting. Check-in was brisk, and decidedly cool compared to other places we stayed on this trip. When I came back to ask a couple of questions about the location of a church, I was efficiently and politely handed a map with the location circled, but got the impression I should take my map and go, so I went.

That's subjective. I'd received some unsettling news from home before we got to the hotel, so my perceptions may have been colored by emotional upset. But at breakfast the next morning, the failures weren't subjective. My daughter bumped the wobbly breakfast table and spilled some of my wife's coffee. She asked the server for a cloth, he nodded curtly, and the cloth never appeared. A few minutes later, my daughter rested her arms on the table, causing it to tilt and send the spilled coffee onto my wife's lap. It would have been nice to have that cleaned up before it went off the table. I got to breakfast before my wife and kids and found my server pleasant and competent; my wife's server was neither.

I would stay at the Inn of the Governors again, just to give us a chance for a better personal experience, because I did like the room. (The afternoon sherry looked nice, but I didn't try it.) Of course, as a guest, when my mood is down, as it was, I'd like my hosts to lift it, not reinforce it. I can have an off day; the hotel can't.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear JPicht,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.

My apologies that the service offered to you was less than desirable. I assure I have spoken to both departments regarding these incidents so that they may improve.

I do hope you will give us another opportunity to leave a much better lasting impression.

Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2014

I stayed this summer (early August 2014) with my wife and our son for only one night. We really all enjoyed the place. We happened to get there by chance without any booking. We were lucky enough to have the last room of the day !!
We did not regret our stay and much appreciated the very large room, the pool and the breakfast in the morning.
Fewvery good things about this hotel are free parking and great location in Sante Fé, just 3 minutes walking distance from Plazza and other market / shop; you can not dream better place to stay.
I will come back definitely for a longer stay.
Enjoy !

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Samuel G, General Manager at Inn of the Governors, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Cstormyweather,

Thank you for your kind review of the Inn.

We are so pleased to have been able to host your stay. As you experienced, we can be quite busy in summer. Although, so fortuitous you booked our last room!

It is great to know you were able to enjoy the pool, our convenient location and our complimentary breakfast buffet.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Houston, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

Numerous trips to Santa Fe allow me to try different locations to stay in the city. I chose the Inn of the Governors because of its location but I was disappointed. The room was small and lots of noise from the Inn kitchen nearby. The bathroom was very small with a toilet that was small by any standards. The sheets were rougher than any I can remember. The pillows were firm and lumpy. Access doors to the lobby were locked during the day that were only meant to be locked at night and frustrated many. The location was clean. The breakfast was good. We will not return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not related to the kitchen or lobby.
Dear Zepper50,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us.

I am so sorry your visit was not more enjoyable. Would you please contact me directly so that I may gain more understanding of your concerns? I can be reached at 505.954.0332.

We do urge our guests to contact us during their stay to voice any matters. Our staff will exhaust every effort to make things better.

I look forward to hearing from you.

gm@innofthegovernors.com
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

Stayed here for three nights in July. The hotel is a short walk to the Plaza and shops and restaurants. Our room was a good size with a king bed and fireplace. Breakfast was included each day and had a selection of hot food as well as cereal and fruit. Overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Smashly,

We are so pleased to know you enjoyed a convenient and comfortable stay!

Your review is greatly appreciated and we hope to see you again if your travels bring you back to Santa Fe.

Sebastopol, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I've stayed here twice. My rooms were charming and quiet. The service is very good and all the staff seem to go out of their way to be helpful. The breakfast is ample and delicious and there is a daily $15 credit in the restaurant/bar, and they offer tea or sherry and cookies at 4 pm. It is just a few blocks from downtown, and we were able to walk everywhere. The hotel staff did make one mistake about scheduling a taxi for our departure...we were forced to change our travel plans, but the hotel reimbursed us every extra penny that we had to spend for the new itinerary. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear 363Mona,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with the Inn.

My sincerest apologies regarding the scheduling error and the forced change to your plans. I am happy to know our staff covered the additional cost, but am so sorry for your inconvenience.

It is great to know you enjoyed the breakfast, tea & sherry hour and your room. We are pleased to know you will return.

Inn of the Governors

Been to Inn of the Governors? Share your experiences!