We stayed here for three nights in June. Not having been to Santa Fe before, we followed advice to "stay on the Plaza", which may or may not have been a mistake. The Inn of the Governors was Hobson's choice for us, for it was the only hotel near the Plaza with available rooms when we made the reservation.
First off, the good:
1. Location- it's a block from the Plaza; an easy walk.
2. Staff- with on exception that I'll get to, very courteous and helpful.
3. Breakfast buffet- This was included with the room charge, and it is outstanding!
4. Parking- included, although pretty tight quarters if your driving a large vehicle.
Now, the not-so-good:
1. The property is old. Aside from the lobby and the breakfast area, it needs updating from what we saw. Our room was vintage 70's with Southwestern-themed decoration piled over it. The bathroom was a closet, and there was mold visible on the walls and floor. The toilet had operational issues.
2. The room was small. We booked a "Deluxe Room with 2 Queen Beds", and the two beds took up most of the room. Clean (except for the bathroom), but very tight quarters.
3. Air conditioning- pretty much there wasn't any, and the system was very noisy. The first night we noticed it was somewhat warm in the room, but it wasn't too oppressive. The second night was so bad I visited the front desk to seek help. The man on duty offered a fan and the promise that someone would take care of it in the morning. It was a difficult evening- very little sleep.
The next morning when I inquired as to the status of the repair, the daytime person on the desk knew nothing about the problem, so I had to go through the story again. A repairman was apparently summoned and the AC worked better on the third night, although still loud.
With the cost of a room at this property, I expected better- much better accommodations. Ownership there needs to invest more of their profits back into the facility and do better than offer a guest a fan when the AC fails on a hot summer evening.
Although it is close to the Plaza, there are several much newer properties and additional block or so away that probably deliver a better room at a better price.
When I return to Santa Fe, I'll not return to the Inn of the Governors.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Inn of the Governors is a leader in hospitality among Santa Fe Hotels. We provide world-class service, a beautiful downtown location, complimentary Mountain Sunrise full breakfast, free parking and complimentary Tea and Sherry served daily in our lobby. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Booking.com, JackRabbit Systems, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Inn of the Governors reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Inn Of The Governors Hotel Santa Fe
- Hotel Of The Governors
- Of The Governors Hotel