“Better than mediocre, but nothing special.” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
seattle
“Better than mediocre, but nothing special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2008

I ordered the enchiladas colores, which were three different enchiladas (chicken, beef, and cheese) with red and green sauce, and my wife ordered fajitas. Maybe we didn't order the right dishes, but I really wanted some good New Mexican chili sauce. Both dishes were pretty ordinary, not worthy of the phrase given on this website. Red sauce was pretty good, green sauce was almost not there. I don't know how this restaurant was rated so high, you can do a lot better in Santa Fe. We went to The Shed the next night. Way better.

Taos, New Mexico
“Most Incredible Mexican Food Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2008

My husband and I recent had dinner at Los Potrillos in Santa Fe, NM and I can't say enough about this outstanding restaurant. While attending a local art workshop a local lady suggested it and she wasn't wrong. I'm a 3rd generation native Californian and I thought I knew what good Mexican food was, but Los Potrillos proved that wrong! I had the Chiles en Ahogada and with each bite I felt like I was in heaven. Don't know if I'll ever get to try any of their other dishes as this is so good I can't bring myself to order anything else. The restaurant is unassuming and unpretentious, very comfortable, clean, with friendly, great service and unbelievably incredible food - who could ask for more? Very reasonable prices too. Do yourself and your taste buds a favor and give Los Potrillos try.

Minnesota
“Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2008

A must go to for anyone wanting authentic Mexican Food instead of traditional New Mexican fare. They have an expansive menu, great prices, and good service.

Santa Fe, NM
“Love It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2008

When we crave Mexican (which is often), this is where we go. Not only is the food excellent; the service is outstanding--very attentive without being overbearing--and the atmosphere is festive (especially when the mariachi band plays, on Friday nights--but don't worry, no trumpets).

This is a regular spot for us, and we haven't had a bad meal yet. The menu is one that inspires you to try something new, because everything just sounds so good. And they don't skimp on portions--in fact, I would suggest not ordering an appetizer, because they're so huge (or rich) you'll be too full to eat much of your dinner. For instance, the mushroom quesadilla comes with beans and rice. That's a meal in itself! But it's oh so delicious. The "plain" rice here is amazing--perfectly seasoned and much more flavorful than it looks. The complimentary chips and salsa are homemade and delicious. The seafood cocktails are like none I've had--nice, zingy sauce and a good assortment of seafood, including oysters and octopus. The grilled veggies are deliciously smoky. I can't say enough about this place.

There's typically a short wait (10-20 min.) during the dinner rush, especially on Fridays, but it's well worth it.

Denver
“My one "to do" in Santa Fe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

I happened upon Los Potrillos only a few months after they opened and it wasn't crowded at all. I was by myself and had been teaching all day and just wanted a nice place to eat. The food was spectacular! I don't know what they put in their refried beans, but they are the best I have ever had anywhere.

I had the pork chops the first visit. On my next visit to S.F. a few months later, I tried the Chile Relleno de Atún (Tuna Chile Relleno)...I expected the chile relleno we have here in Colorado...but it was a magnificent chile splayed open with a tuna steak and, I believe, roasted peppers and a chipotle-like sauce.

Every time I visit S.F., I have to go there...if nothing else. I am usually too tired to go out and eat and end up eating in my hotel room...but I always make the trek to Los Potrillos...they always treat me well, even as a single woman who likes to keep to herself during meals. I highly recommend it over anything you'll find in the plaza!