“I would eat here every night if I could drive” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: o eating house has a beautiful dining room,intimate bar and open kitchen. patio open along with outside seating.
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“I would eat here every night if I could drive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I would travel every night if I could to eat at O Eating House. I think it is the best value for the most creatively fresh food I have eaten in the Santa Fe area. The aesthetics and tastes are sublime. The prix fixe - 3 course dinner for 19.95 is the bargain of the century. The value and the quality are just wonderful. The chef keeps inventing new and wonderful foods. The atmosphere is warm and inviting. It is great for large and small groups. I cannot forget the margarita and good choice of wines. Only 15 miles from Santa Fe on City of Gold Road in Pojoaque, near the lovely museum and gift shop. Go when you are driving to Espanola, Taos or anywhere.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Definitely down-hill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Yes, this place has suffered.

We ate there for dinner. I ordered trout.

Got what were definitely two frozen filets -- and reconstituted unless trout's being raised rectangular these days.

I tasted one -- slimy. A bad experience.

The atmosphere in the box shaped room with it's patio-type furniture was never good. .

• Visited February 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
United States
“"O"-no.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2012

I travel the 285 corridor frequently and hadn't been to "O" in a while, so thought I'd enjoy an early dinner. Noticed that the familiar yellow Toyota wasn't in the parking lot which likely meant that the chef was "not in". Stopped anyway. Mistake.

Major decline since my last visit. Was greeted by what looked to be the dishwasher, directing me to an empty dining room. I should have just eaten in the bar. Forewarned that they may not have all of the wines listed on the wine list, I ordered a glass of "house" white. Decided to go with things I'd eaten before, to test the waters since my last visit. The bread is still awesome. Yay! Major letdown with the Zuccini Frites - last time I had them they were lightly tempura battered and fried maintaining the crunch of the zucchini, then drizzled with truffle oil and shredded parmesan cheese. This time they were limp, soft and oily, with little truffle taste. The pasta was cooked perfectly and the sauce was rich, but the chicken bits in the dish were overcooked and way salty. They tasted like stuff that had been left over from the previous day. The table next door was complaining about their dessert to the sous chef. The place looked run-down and the nice wine glass was spotted and streaked. The waitress was nice enough, but didn't seem to know much about the menu.
Felt like I paid too much for the quality of the meal. I'll return in the summer to see if things improve.

• Visited March 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Plano, Texas
“Nouvelle cuisine north of Santa Fe”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

We were staying north of town and looking for something nearby. Son, age 10, was tired of New Mexican, so the reviews for nearby O Eating House as "fresh, inexpensive, Italian plus pizza" intrigued. An inquiring call about the menu was that they served "a little of everything".

At 7pm on a Wednesday night, we were the 5th table occupied. The "everything menu" plus blackboard specials yielded exactly 11 options, including 4 pastas, 4 grilled entrees, fish and chips, meatballs, and 1 choice no one could remember. There were also some dozen appetizers and salads. No pizza menu offered.

Everyone seemed friendly but "struggling to catch up". Everything, including the pizza menu and olive oil for the bread, had to be requested catch as catch can. Repeated apologies for the kitchen being backed up (5 tables and maybe 18 patrons?).

After about 1 hour wait, food ultimately arrives and pizza is crispy thin and good. Grilled salmon is ok.

This experience felt like an endurance test and both the "Italian" and "Everything" monikers seem misleading.

Prices: medium sized basic pizza $8-10, entrees $14-26.

Visited March 2012
Athens, GA
“Imaginative, hard working chefs + local produce = great meals!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2012

We were staying nearby and thus were able to visit this restaurant over a several month period. We enjoyed sitting at one of the tables in the bar because of the opportunity to view the prep in the open kitchen. It was a pleasure to see so much lovingly prepared delicious food coming from such a small space. The appetizers and entrees were generous and well executed, the staff was friendly and professional, and the wine list was varied and excellent. We made it a place to take visitors as well as to enjoy on our own. We shall return!

• Visited November 2011