“We Love The Madeline” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Katy, Texas
“We Love The Madeline”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2011

The Madeline and Hacienda Nicholas Inns are our favorite places to stay when visiting Santa Fe. We love everything about these sister inns. They are situated on quiet streets away from the hustle and bustle, but within easy walking distance to the plaza and the Canyon Road galleries. The breakfasts are terrific and the snacks left out during the day, as well as the evening wine and cheese hour are a very nice touch. What really keeps us coming back again and again is the friendliness and hospitality of the owner, Carolyn Lee and her staff. Wow, they make you feel very special and go out of their way to help with recommendations on everything from dining, to shopping to art and culture activities. We recommend staying in one of the casitas – Forsythia or Violet, although all of the rooms at The Madeline are wonderful. Also, make sure to treat yourself to a massage at their spa, Absolute Nirvana. Well, the name says it all – what a great way to unwind and relax (and it is all onsite – how convenient is that!).

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2011

The Madeline was exactly what was described through the web site. The massages were wonderfully relaxing and uplifting. Wine tasting time before a fire, a perfect recipe to wind down from experiencing all Santa Fe has to offer throughout the day. The breakfast was very satisfying and the staff very attentive.

Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

We had a wonderful 4 day stay at Madeleine Inn last week. The Inn is beautiful and the staff is wonderful. We were in the Morning Glory room and it's lovely, with a lot of room for everything we carried with us. Breakfast with Greg every morning was delightful--the food was absolutely the best and the tips and hints he gave us for places to go were great. It was very cold while we were there and snowy, but we never took the car out and walked everywhere. Dianna was so helpful and really treated us like family, It was fun every day to sit and have a glass of wine with Marilee--we even bought a case to take home with us. The perfect place for a relaxing vacation, with wonderful restaurants and museums within walking distance. We'll come back!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2011

I've been going to the Madeleine for 10 years now, and it never disappoints. The lodgings are comfortable and up to date, the location can't be beat, and the breakfasts are scrumptious. Not only that, but the staff is always as gracious a can be, and very accommodating. It's my favorite home away from home.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Washingto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

My fiance and I had a wonderful stay in Santa Fe! The food was great, location amazing, room was very clean and comfortable, and the service was fantastic. I highly suggest this place!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2011

This is a beautiful older building into which rays of cystalline winter beauty shine. Our family and friends joined us here for a small destination wedding, and it was wonderful. Adorable little nooks and crannies, lots of character in the different rooms. Even though it's a vintage building, I didn't notice any draftiness unless we were within 2 feet of a window. We had more than plenty of spaceheaters, radiators, and blankets, and were plenty warm. =)

The local staff made our stay especially memorable, and were tuned into us. =) They're hardy folk, too - one of the ladies had a broken car one morning, and rode her bicycle 2 miles at 5 a.m. in 10 degree weather to make sure we had breakfast on time! And had a great attitude about it.

If you stay here, don't pass up the *fantastic* massages at Nirvana Spa, located on-site! I was deeply impressed with the skill and intuitiveness of my masseur. Most of our friends/family got massages, too, and all reported they were very happy. My mom had a bug the day of hers, and when I mentioned that to her masseur, she got special eucalyptus treatment - very thoughtful and effective!

Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Naperville, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

I rarely stay at B&Bs but decided to give it a go for my trip to Santa Fe in July and August of 2010. So after doing research, reading reviews, etc. I settled on The Madeleine Inn and I'm so glad that I did!

I stayed there a total of 10 nights on my trip (2 nights, followed by 2 nights in Taos and then back for 8 nights). While it was a bit of a splurge for me (very reasonable rates for what you get…I just don’t normally stay in B&B’s as I've said), it was very much worth it. From the welcome to the goodbye, everyone working at the Madeleine (and their sister B&B, the Hacienda Nicholas) was so friendly and helpful. I stayed in the room called Hyacinth because it had a small Victorian writing desk, which would find use throughout my trip. Comfortable bed. Smallish shower but that’s to be expected in an old Victorian House converted to a modern B&B. Soft robe. Air conditioner (which I only used 1 night…I just opened my windows the rest of the time). Cable TV (which I never used). Free wi-fi (which I regularly used). A comfortable common area on the main floor with lots of seating, reading material, info on Santa Fe, restaurant menus, coffee, tea, water, snacks, cookies. Outside was a nice porch with a large table and several chairs. A lovely garden in front with a few small tables and several chairs. It was quiet here being at the end of a dead end street. Breakfasts were excellent and were taken in the Hacienda Nicholas next door. Breakfast could be eaten indoors in the warm and inviting breakfast room or just outside the doors in the courtyard. I appreciated that they accommodated my sticking to a somewhat carb restricted diet. On the one day when the carbs would have been through the roof, I was given a lower carb (and excellent) hot dish without even asking. Nice! While I never went, they also had a wine and cheese hour in the late afternoons, also at the Hacienda Nicholas.

I came back again in November for 3 nights over Thanksgiving. I was quite surprised that Greg, one of the breakfast cooks, remembered me from the summer and that I needed to watch the carbs. Impressive! I also want to give kudos to Regan who has always been so helpful when making my bookings. (Last year I changed my booking FOUR times...and it was never a problem...although, I always WAS adding nights, at least.) On this last trip when I was in her office booking next summer, Regan noticed that I was enjoying some printed quotes on her filing cabinet. I noticed later that she had emailed them to me without my asking. THAT'S the kind of service that I found typical at The Madeleine.

So I'm booked for 8 more nights in July/August of 2011. I expect to do the same for Thanksgiving. I've found my place to stay in Santa Fe.

Keith

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Madeleine Inn? Share your experiences!