“RELAXING, QUIET! WILL DEFINITELY RETURN” 4 of 5 stars

Santa Fe Fall Getaway
Ranked #8 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“RELAXING, QUIET! WILL DEFINITELY RETURN”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed in the Violet cottage for 4 days for our Anniversary. It was quaint, quiet and very comfortable. This cottage had everything that we needed for our stay. Each morning we had breakfast with a variety of other traveler's from New York to California. Great conversation and wonderful breakfast, with a variety of fruit, juices, hot entrée of the day, beverages, etc... If someone wanted another entrée, the staff would make every accommodation for the customer.
We also had Spa treatments that were out of this world. I think that we floated out of the facility with wings. Most relaxing and professional treatment We have ever experienced. Elaina and Karin were magnificent. We will definitely return in the near future. have told everyone we know about our experience and the wonderful location this B&B is at, (2 blocks from Plaza). Thanks Carolyn for the wonderful time we had during our stay!!!!

Room Tip: The Violet Room was wonderful
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, October 12, 2013
How wonderful to know that we helped you enjoy your anniversary during your stay at The Madeleine. I too love the back garden's Violet Suite for being so spacious and quiet, with the lovely fireplace and daybed for afternoon relaxing. Having a couple's spa treatment is a terrific way to celebrate an anniversary, and Karin and Elenya do amazing work. Thank you so very much spreading the word to all of your friends, and for writing such a glowing review on Trip Advisor. We look forward to your next visit - good to know you plan to return soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Portland, Oregon, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

Not at all what we expected given the "Five" rating from other Trip Advisor travelers and the Diamond Collection rating from B&B.com. Perhaps it was better in times past? Not now. Shabby. Best thing going is the location, but there are other places near the plaza.

This was a very uneven experience. The bathroom felt more like a boarding house in need of repair than an upscale B&B. Our room had no accessible three prong outlets for grounded internet, but we did find one in the parlor. The porch needed sweeping. The furniture was worn, as were the carpets in our room. Breakfast was so-so, and mostly self-serve.

Location was good. Near the plaza. So many nicer places nearby. While we often love and find value in Bed and Breakfasts, evaluators should re-visit this location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
I truly regret you were so disappointed in your stay at The Madeleine. We try our best to provide a wonderful experience for our guests, and as you point out, the vast majority of our reviews are five stars, with guests loving the inn, the food and the service provided. Incidentally, the BedandBreakfast.com inspector paid us a visit in July of 2013, just a few months ago. He spent the night in one of our rooms, toured the entire property, and enjoyed breakfast with us the next morning. After a thorough inspection, we passed with flying colors, earning a Diamond classification.

When I bought this 1886 Queen Anne Victorian inn 16 years ago, it was in need of a lot of attention. I have been working diligently to renovate and improve the property ever since. It is my intention to continually work on the property while also maintaining our reasonable rates, the goal being a beautiful property providing comfort, warmth, great food and warm hospitality.

There is one bathroom that has yet to be renovated, in our least expensive room ($110-$150), so perhaps this is the room being referenced in this review. That particular room's carpet has very minimal wear showing on two corners, and I kept it because it is such a sweet carpet. Nonetheless, I shall plan on replacing that carpet within the next week. There is also a small toiletries table in the room that has some ring marks and has seen better days. I shall replace that within the next couple of weeks, as soon as I can find something suitable. As for grounded 3 prong plugs, there is an outlet with such grounded plugs in the room. It is not in the strip form, so perhaps the guest did not realize it was grounded. It is unfortunate this guest did not ask one of us for assistance, as we could have addressed that concern, or looked into a room change, which would perhaps have been the best course of action.

As for the breakfast, the cold selections of yogurt, fresh fruit parfaits, tea breads, granola, muesli and other cereals are offered on a buffet, so are self-serve. The hot dish of the day is plated and served individually to guests, with particular attention to requests for any dietary modifications.

I always appreciate getting feedback from our guests,whether positive or negative, as it helps me to do a better job as innkeeper. Please know that I shall address this particular bathroom, table and carpet at the earliest possible time, and will strive to offer the best accommodations possible at the most reasonable rates.
Okarche, Oklahoma, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

The Madeleine is in a very nice, quiet spot at the end of a dead-end street. You might think you're the only people visiting Santa Fe! However, it's only a 5-minute walk to the Plaza, so all of the downtown attractions are very nearby. The onsite spa, Absolute Nirvana, is exactly that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Thank you for writing to share your pleasant experience with us here at The Madeleine. It is truly our blessing to be in such a quiet spot yet so close to the Plaza. While we miss out on any drive-by business, it makes for a completely peaceful and serene setting. I am also delighted to read that you found Nirvana at our back-garden Balinese-inspired spa. We hope to see you again before too long.
home
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

My husband and I have been staying at the Madeleine almost for anywhere from a few days to a week every summer for decades. We appreciate the delightful graciousness of the owner and staff and the serenity and comfort of the inn itself. Breakfasts are creative and delicious. Location is great for walking to museums, restaurants, etc., and it's just a short drive to the opera.

Room Tip: We have stayed in various rooms and twice stayed with friends at the Pinon Casita. We have enjoyed...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
And we love you for writing this review! It is so heartwarming to have guests such as yourselves who come back year after year, and who so appreciate all that The Madeleine has to offer. Being just three blocks from the Plaza but at the end of a dead end street makes it so we have a very quiet and serene setting, while also be so close to so many of Santa Fe's restaurants, shops, galleries and other attractions. It is our pleasure to welcome you back each summer. Thank you for writing to Trip Advisor to let other know of your experience.
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

A well organized B&B with friendly staff in a great location. Breakfast was good, snacks in the lobby were a nice touch. I was in Hyacinth, a small, but pretty room. Beware that the bed is very high and might not be accessible by everyone. You have to really climb up onto it-- a stool would be nice.

Green Features: Madeline Inn is very environmentally aware, as is Santa Fe, in general.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay, and for letting us know that the little wooden step stool for that big four poster bed went missing. Once we realized this I ordered a new one, which is now in place by the bed. You are right - they are rather like "Princess and the Pea" beds, and many people appreciate having the step stool. Thank you again for your helpful feedback!
santa fe NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I fully enjoyed my well deserved rest when I stayed at THE COTTAGE. The private garden was an absolute joy, so quiet and peaceful, the perfect place to sit out, sip on a glass of wine and totally unwind .
The Cottage is very nicely decorated and supplies everything you could want, from personal bath robes to homemade cookies to excellent organic coffee.
The parking area was ample and clean, and among the amenities provided were towels and cleaning materials for both cars and dogs.
I joined in the "social hour" over at the HACIENDA NICHOLAS" and had a good time there with some of the other guests from the INNS over a bottle of wine.
The breakfast of blue corn and blueberry waffles was delicious and set me up for the day.
The staff were great, very friendly and helpful.
I can highly recommend a stay in THE COTTAGE. Money well spent !

Green Features: From all of their 'GREEN" practices I observed, I would rate them 10 out f 10
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I am delighted to read of your enjoyment of The Cottage, from the decor to the amenities provides. You will be happy to learn that we have just submitted our application for the new B&B Wine Permit, and hope to be serving our own wine at the Social Hour within about 3 months. Hopefully you can return for that experience, and for more Blue Corn Pinon Waffles, or Hacienda Breakfast Enchiladas, or Southwestern Frittatas, or......

Thank you very much for writing!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My one night stay in THE COTTAGE was a very memorable one that I would like to share. The attached private garden was absolutely charming, full of birds and flowers and a peaceful haven which I was seeking.
All of the MADELEINE INN staff WERE very cordial and very helpful.
The 'social hour', where tasty snacks were served, in a delightful garden, was fun, and gave me a chance to socialize with some of the other guests who were also staying at the INNS.
The decor of THE COTTAGE was charming, warm and welcoming with an abundance of amenities, from personal robes to home made cookies and delicious organic coffee. I felt that all my needs and whims were catered for and would highly recommend a stay at THE COTTAGE.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms in both the Hacienda Nicholas and the Madeleine Inn are beautifully decorat...
Green Features: I could see that The MADELEINE INN was making a serious effort to be "Green" in many ways. I applaud them.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for sharing your experience of The Madeleine with the readers of Trip Advisor. We are all gratified to learn of your enjoyment of the setting, the gardens, the evening Social Hour and the staff. Hopefully you will one day be able to come back and enjoy the "peaceful haven" for a longer time period.

Been to Madeleine Inn? Share your experiences!