“A nice cozy place” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“A nice cozy place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013

A well organized B&B with friendly staff in a great location. Breakfast was good, snacks in the lobby were a nice touch. I was in Hyacinth, a small, but pretty room. Beware that the bed is very high and might not be accessible by everyone. You have to really climb up onto it-- a stool would be nice.

Green Features: Madeline Inn is very environmentally aware, as is Santa Fe, in general.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review of your stay, and for letting us know that the little wooden step stool for that big four poster bed went missing. Once we realized this I ordered a new one, which is now in place by the bed. You are right - they are rather like "Princess and the Pea" beds, and many people appreciate having the step stool. Thank you again for your helpful feedback!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
santa fe NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I fully enjoyed my well deserved rest when I stayed at THE COTTAGE. The private garden was an absolute joy, so quiet and peaceful, the perfect place to sit out, sip on a glass of wine and totally unwind .
The Cottage is very nicely decorated and supplies everything you could want, from personal bath robes to homemade cookies to excellent organic coffee.
The parking area was ample and clean, and among the amenities provided were towels and cleaning materials for both cars and dogs.
I joined in the "social hour" over at the HACIENDA NICHOLAS" and had a good time there with some of the other guests from the INNS over a bottle of wine.
The breakfast of blue corn and blueberry waffles was delicious and set me up for the day.
The staff were great, very friendly and helpful.
I can highly recommend a stay in THE COTTAGE. Money well spent !

Green Features: From all of their 'GREEN" practices I observed, I would rate them 10 out f 10
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
I am delighted to read of your enjoyment of The Cottage, from the decor to the amenities provides. You will be happy to learn that we have just submitted our application for the new B&B Wine Permit, and hope to be serving our own wine at the Social Hour within about 3 months. Hopefully you can return for that experience, and for more Blue Corn Pinon Waffles, or Hacienda Breakfast Enchiladas, or Southwestern Frittatas, or......

Thank you very much for writing!
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My one night stay in THE COTTAGE was a very memorable one that I would like to share. The attached private garden was absolutely charming, full of birds and flowers and a peaceful haven which I was seeking.
All of the MADELEINE INN staff WERE very cordial and very helpful.
The 'social hour', where tasty snacks were served, in a delightful garden, was fun, and gave me a chance to socialize with some of the other guests who were also staying at the INNS.
The decor of THE COTTAGE was charming, warm and welcoming with an abundance of amenities, from personal robes to home made cookies and delicious organic coffee. I felt that all my needs and whims were catered for and would highly recommend a stay at THE COTTAGE.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms in both the Hacienda Nicholas and the Madeleine Inn are beautifully decorat...
Green Features: I could see that The MADELEINE INN was making a serious effort to be "Green" in many ways. I applaud them.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for sharing your experience of The Madeleine with the readers of Trip Advisor. We are all gratified to learn of your enjoyment of the setting, the gardens, the evening Social Hour and the staff. Hopefully you will one day be able to come back and enjoy the "peaceful haven" for a longer time period.
Cleveland Heights, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at La Madeleine and even though we had a very tiny room, our stay was delightful. My favorite aspect was that it was on a dead-end street so it was very quiet and we could hear birds in the daytime and crickets at night from our room. The location is prime. Walking distance to the Plaza and Canyon Road. Free parking--there was always a spot available. Free wireless internet--helps when looking up local information, such as wildfire danger and closings of the Santa Fe National Forest, and bird identification. And... the breakfasts were incredibly good! Our favorite was the blue corn waffles, which we are going to make this weekend for friends (recipe on the hotel website).
Carolyn and Katarina were not only helpful but such wonderful people to just get to know and chat with. The patios were clean and had beautiful flowers. There were snacks available all day, along with water and tea. Another plus was that there was no check-in; a packet was left for us. And really, no check-out either. Very quiet and private. They are committed to sustainability, with things such as cloth garbage can liners and soap/lotion/shampoo dispensers (with really good products). I would highly recommend this inn, although you might choose a room other than the Geranium if you like space.

Green Features: I loved the practices used by this hotel. I only wish every hotel abided by them; the world would certainly benefit! We used the option of not having our room serviced, and weren't bothered by phone calls or letters under the door.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you very much for writing of how much you enjoyed your time at The Madeleine. Being at a dead-end street just 3 blocks from the Plaza is indeed our blessing and our curse - it is ever so quiet and peaceful, yet being so hidden and tucked away is not always so good for attracting business! Still, we love our quiet and serene atmosphere, and glad you did too.

As for check-in, I am guessing you arrived late, and so got the self check-in packet which is left for guests who are not able to arrive before 6pm. And as we have no added costs for parking, wi-fi, food, etc., we do not need to do a final tallying of charges at the end of the stay.

I am glad you enjoyed all the eco-friendly practices we have instituted, and that you enjoyed our breakfast selections. We are certainly looking forward to your future visit, and you are right - guests wanting a spacious room would not want to book any of the "value" rooms such as Geranium. Thank you again for choosing us for your Santa Fe stay, and for writing such a lovely review.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My daughter and I had a wonderful 5 night stay in the Ivy room at Madeleine Inn. The location, staff and breakfast were all delightful. Our room was exactly right for us. I had the queen bed and my daughter took the daybed in the other room. Being at the top of the lovely house felt like inhabiting a tree house including awakening to happy birds chirping all around. The location allowed us to walk everywhere we wanted to be in Santa Fe including Canyon Road, the Rail Yard, the Plaza, many museums and restaurants. We only needed our car to travel to Taos and our hikes. The breakfast each day was different and delicious. An added bonus for my daughter was that it was vegetarian - with meat on the side. Everyone on the staff was pleasant and helpful. All in all we have nothing but praise for this B&B. (I do wish someone had instructed me in operating the windows in the Ivy. I figured it out the 2nd night.) I sure hope we can come back to New Mexico in the near future. I know where we would stay.

Room Tip: Topmost room had great cross-ventilation but the stairs are steep. The separate suites are very priv...
Green Features: Appreciated the lack of disposable items. It was very easy to refill our hydration bottles with filtered water whenever we needed.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for your beautiful review of your stay in the Ivy Room. It was our pleasure to have you and your daughter as our guests, and are delighted that our breakfast offerings (with meat options on the side) worked so well for her. I love your description of the Ivy Room as a treehouse! The birds do love being in the garden setting, and especially this time of year before the monsoons come our way. I regret that the windows posed a problem for you, and wish we had known so we could have helped you immediately. There is someone available 24/7 to help with any problems such as this. We certainly look forward to your next visit, and appreciate that you took the time and trouble to write your words of praise for The Madeleine. Thank you again.
Carolyn Lee
Owner
The Madeleine Inn
Hacienda Nicholas B&B
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

As always, we enjoyed our time at the Madeleine in Santa Fe. The Geranium room was perfect for us. There were fresh lilacs in our room when we arrived!!! We will continue to stay at the Madeleine whenever we are in Santa Fe. I cannot imagine staying anywhere else. It seems like home, and we love the people who work there. The room was so comfy and nice. The food is great, too, at the breakfasts as well as at the social hour. It was wonderful!!

Room Tip: Make sure that you figure out your needs for the size of the room that works for you. We have staye...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thank you so very much for writing of your repeat visit to The Madeleine in such glowing terms. We know how much you love the lilacs of Santa Fe, so wanted to be sure you had some to enjoy at your bedside. It is truly a pleasure to have you as our guests, and we are delighted to know how much you appreciate the staff, the rooms and our food. As you point out, it is important that potential guests read the room descriptions to ensure they get the best room for their needs. We look forward to your next visit - hopefully next year's spring will bring the usual abundance of lilacs in Santa Fe.
Tome, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We chose the Ivy Room because it has a separate living room, which made up for the oddity that the sink was in there instead of in the room with the toilet and shower. I liked very much the dispensers for shampoo, soap, and lotion instead of the usual little bottles, also the generosity of the towels, washcloths, and rags, as well as the encouragement to conserve water. There's a lovely quilt on the single bed in the living room. We moved a second chair from the bedroom to the living room so we could eat in there on the little table that I think was intended to put a suitcase on. It worked fine. We also appreciated the little refrigerator.

It took us a little while to figure out how to reach the Madeleine and the nature of its relationship to Hacienda Nicolas, which is where breakfast was served. The menu on a Tuesday featured poblano chiles, cheese, and tomatoes over quinoa, which I liked fine, but my husband doesn't like quinoa. The preparer, however, was willing to fix eggs for him, and that was very considerate. Overall we liked liked the old-fashioned homey atmosphere and congenial reception at this B & B and would be happy to stay there again. The Ivy Room is on the third floor all to itself, well worth the extra flight of stairs to climb.

Green Features: I was impressed by their concern for sustainability. In a notebook they provide, there's a list of all the things they do to conserve water and energy and to keep guests healthy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you ever so much for writing this lovely review on your stay in the Ivy Room. We have three quirky bathroom set-ups in this 1886 Victorian, and I have just revised our website to more thoroughly describe these unconventional set-ups. The Ivy Room is a great choice for anyone wanting total quiet and privacy, as it is the only room at the top of the inn, but it is one of the three with an unusual bathroom configuration. Thank you for stating your appreciation for all of our eco-friendly efforts, which are very much a part of our business practices.

I understand it can be confusing at first to learn that we operate in conjunction with Hacienda Nicholas, our inn across the street. We decided to keep the Madeleine a more quiet and serene setting, particularly with the Absolute Nirvana Spa in the back gardens, and to have all of our food service take place at our inn across the street. It seems to work out really well. Please know that we are always more than happy to accommodate food preferences whenever possible, and it was easy to scramble up some eggs for your husband. Our first priority is the happiness of our guests, and we do all we can to ensure that all feel warm, welcome and well cared for.

Been to Madeleine Inn? Share your experiences!