“Ivy Room was just right for us.” 5 of 5 stars

Santa Fe Fall Getaway
Ranked #7 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Tome, New Mexico
“Ivy Room was just right for us.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We chose the Ivy Room because it has a separate living room, which made up for the oddity that the sink was in there instead of in the room with the toilet and shower. I liked very much the dispensers for shampoo, soap, and lotion instead of the usual little bottles, also the generosity of the towels, washcloths, and rags, as well as the encouragement to conserve water. There's a lovely quilt on the single bed in the living room. We moved a second chair from the bedroom to the living room so we could eat in there on the little table that I think was intended to put a suitcase on. It worked fine. We also appreciated the little refrigerator.

It took us a little while to figure out how to reach the Madeleine and the nature of its relationship to Hacienda Nicolas, which is where breakfast was served. The menu on a Tuesday featured poblano chiles, cheese, and tomatoes over quinoa, which I liked fine, but my husband doesn't like quinoa. The preparer, however, was willing to fix eggs for him, and that was very considerate. Overall we liked liked the old-fashioned homey atmosphere and congenial reception at this B & B and would be happy to stay there again. The Ivy Room is on the third floor all to itself, well worth the extra flight of stairs to climb.

Green Features: I was impressed by their concern for sustainability. In a notebook they provide, there's a list of all the things they do to conserve water and energy and to keep guests healthy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Thank you ever so much for writing this lovely review on your stay in the Ivy Room. We have three quirky bathroom set-ups in this 1886 Victorian, and I have just revised our website to more thoroughly describe these unconventional set-ups. The Ivy Room is a great choice for anyone wanting total quiet and privacy, as it is the only room at the top of the inn, but it is one of the three with an unusual bathroom configuration. Thank you for stating your appreciation for all of our eco-friendly efforts, which are very much a part of our business practices.

I understand it can be confusing at first to learn that we operate in conjunction with Hacienda Nicholas, our inn across the street. We decided to keep the Madeleine a more quiet and serene setting, particularly with the Absolute Nirvana Spa in the back gardens, and to have all of our food service take place at our inn across the street. It seems to work out really well. Please know that we are always more than happy to accommodate food preferences whenever possible, and it was easy to scramble up some eggs for your husband. Our first priority is the happiness of our guests, and we do all we can to ensure that all feel warm, welcome and well cared for.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
ANN ARBOR, MI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I've been to Madeleine Inn twice and each time I felt as if I was coming home. It's very comfortable without being pretentious, which fits my style. What first attracted me to the inn were its pet and cleaning policies: Because of allergies, I can't be around pets and chemical/perfumed cleaners and room fragrances make me ill. They have a no-pet policy and use eco-friendly cleaners. But it's more than a safe haven for me. The breakfasts are wonderful. Yes, they are rich, but it's a nice vacation treat. There's also some of the best granola around (I now make it at home) for anyone who doesn't want to indulge. And they always have fruit. I've stayed in the Geranium room which, I believe, is the smallest (and most economical). I was solo, so it was fine. Two may be cramped. There are plenty of places around the house to spill out to: a wonderful built-in seat between floors and a comfy parlor. It's one of my favorite places to stay. I roam around the house in my slippers and it feels like home.

Green Features: I wish more inns/hotels would follow the inn's lead: Environmentally friendly cleaning practices.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Thank you for such the lovely review of your stays at The Madeleine. We are honored that have chosen to come back twice now, and happy that our chemical-free cleaning practices work well for you. In addition, we are fortunate to have two inns, so that one can welcome pets (Hacienda Nicholas) and the other (The Madeleine) can provide a pet-free environment. Thank you too for your glowing comments on the breakfasts. While many guests love the Southwestern egg dishes, Blue Corn Waffles, Blueberry Almond Stuffed French Toast, etc., we always have the fruit, yogurt, granola, muesli and cereals available for those who prefer a lighter start to the day. Of course, most people opt for both, which keeps them going until dinner. I agree that the Geranium would be a tight fit for two people, but between the living room and patios, there are indeed plenty of places to hang out besides the room. For those who do not plan to spend a great deal of time in their room, and who would prefer to spend less money on lodging, it is a fine room. Thank you again for taking the time to write on your stay. We hope you are able to come back for a third visit one day.
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

What a welcoming B&B! My mom and I stayed in the Geranium Room which was cozy and comfortable. The location of this B&B couldn't be better - walking distance to Canyon Road, the Plaza and all of the other downtown attractions. It was great to be able to park on this quiet street and just walk from place to place. When we needed to come back and freshen up, we could sit on the covered porch or in the sitting room and enjoy a glass of wine. The freshly baked cookies were an added bonus! Breakfast across the road at the neighboring property, Hacienda Nicholas, was always delicious with a New Mexican flare. The innkeeper, Carolyn, and her staff all worked to make our stay a good one by offering helpful tips on dining and directions to points of interest. We would definitely stay here again!

Green Features: The Madeleine Inn provided shampoo, lotion, etc in dispensers instead of in disposable plastic bottles. They also had receptacles for recycling in each of the rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write such a glowing review of your stay in the Geranium Room. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed your time, the property, the gardens, breakfasts, homemade cookies and the staff. We certainly look forward to seeing you and your mother once again at The Madeleine.
Mts of western NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

My heavens, the staff is incredible here. It was a fine stay overall and the location is excellent! Our room, the Hyacinth, was rather average overall however compared to other B&B's we have stayed at over the 35 years of taking vacations, from Martha's Vineyard to San Diego. Here are a few items that might influence your choosing this particular room. We didn't want to move or ask for a better room when our stay was just two nights, plus it appeared they were rather full. The staff was nice enough already in helping us out with another problem. Here are the rather 'picky' items that might bother a few (such as us) and that's what a proper review is about, to possibly assist future guests. While the TV isn't necessary in a B&B, the one in this room is the smallest one we have ever encountered. The shower is also extremely small, barely enough for one person (I'm a 165 lb male). The lotion dispenser installed on the back wall doesn't help, and the other lotion dispenser on the wall by the sink (in the main room, not the bathroom) takes away from the charm of the room. In our opinion, saving the landfill from small bottles of shampoo, etc.. is a bit much when affecting the decor of a B&B room. The mattress also didn't fit the frame of the bed. The wood of the frame juts out on both sides. It was also quite warm at night with only the open window as relief. If this review was solely 'just the room' then a 3 star rating would be accurate. A 4 star rating is given due to the staff, and the grounds which are beautiful, plus the area is extremely quiet. We should mention the room was clean and no problems there whatsoever. For future guests, we would recommend a better and pricier room than the Hyacinth.

Room Tip: If you have the $$, spend it on a high end room.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, May 4, 2013
What a delight it was to read rave review of our staff, who always go above and beyond for our guests, and for your appreciation of our gardens and the cleanliness of the room. You gave a very thorough description of certain aspects of The Hyacinth Room, which will inevitably help other travelers make their room choice at The Madeleine.

As you point out, The Hyacinth is one of our lower-priced rooms. The mid-season price of $150/night reflects the fact that while it is a spacious room, with a full breakfast, located in a quiet garden setting just three blocks from the Plaza, it also has a small and unconventional bathroom. The shower is on the smaller side (27"x31"), though we try to make up for that with high-end tile work and fixtures. Having been built in 1886 with just one bathroom, some bathrooms in the main house are smaller and more unconventional.

It is also true that Hyacinth currently has a small television. Had we known you were unhappy with the size of the tv, we would have quickly substituted it with one from another room. I have been gradually replacing the older and smaller flat screens with screens that are somewhat larger. Since most of our guests report they either do not watch the tv, or only have it on for news and weather, I am sure we could have swapped one out for you. Please know that I appreciate your comment on the size of the tv, and that I will speed up my process of upgrading all the televisions, knowing that many people do appreciate a larger screen.

Regarding the lotions & potions dispensers: I made the decision about 6 years ago to run the inn in the most environmentally sound way possible while still providing a most comfortable environment for our guests. After throwing away mountains of small plastic bottles over the years, we installed these dispensers. The plus side is that we offer superior products made by a local company called Aromaland. Their products are free of chemicals and of much higher quality than most small bottled hotel products. The trade-off is the small, albeit plastic dispenser mounted on the wall. I truly regret that you found it offensive.

As for the mattress not fitting the bed, I was initially very puzzled by this comment. Once I lifted the dust ruffle of the bed, however, I noted that the box springs/mattress had been pushed all the way over to one side. Thus one side of the bed was flush with the wooden frame, leaving a 2" gap on the other side between the bed frame and mattress. With a small push I centered the mattress so now there is a 1" space between the mattress and the frame. I believe this is standard.

Oh how I wish you had asked about the availability of our other larger rooms. The Columbine, Forsythia and Violet Rooms are all more high-end, with larger televisions and much larger bathrooms. We also have some much larger units just a couple of blocks away that could have worked well for you.

Thank you again for your helpful feedback regarding your stay. We do hope to have the pleasure of accommodating you again in the future in one of our more upscale rooms.
Bellevue, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Five years ago, we brought a group with us to The Madeleine Inn and Hacienda Nicholas for our 5th anniversary. For our 10th, we decided to come back to Santa Fe to celebrate again. We had a total of seven in our party for this trip that stayed at one of the two properties.
We had a couple of small issues on arrival with heating and a toilet handle, but these things happen. The true measure is how seriously and promptly they went into action to make sure they were resolved to our satisfaction - which they were!
We enjoyed the happy hour and are happy to hear they'll be able to serve wine again soon, but had no problem bringing our own. There were always cookies waiting, and there are tons of resources relative to the Santa Fe area. Looking forward to visiting again, and hopefully not in five more years.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
We were delighted to welcome you and your family back to celebrate your 10th anniversary, and we would love to see you for your 15th, if not before. Thank you for bringing the heat and toilet handle issues to our attention so they could be dealt with immediately. As for the upcoming change in our Happy Hour, we know you and other guests will be very appreciative of the wine service when we bring it back in late summer. Thank you New Mexico Legislature and Governor Martinez for signing the B&B Wine Permit Bill!
Peachtree City, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Beautiful B&B within walking distance to all the great shopping in Santa Fe! We stayed in the Hyacinth Room and it was fantastic! Brought a bottle of wine to the happy hour and had great conversation with other guests. Breakfast the next morning was delicious! We wouldn't hesitate to stay there again in the future.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you very much for writing such a lovely review of your stay at The Madeleine. Good news on the Social Hour - the New Mexico legislature has just passed our Wine/Beer Permit Bill so by summer we are hoping to go back to serving a glass of wine at our evening gatherings. Keep your fingers crossed!
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Warm staff and cozy home-like environment. Everyone was very sweet and willing to give us tips on the best places to eat and visit in Santa Fe. The breakfast was the perfect start to our day and featured regional favorites.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Thank you so very much for taking the time to write a review on your stay at The Madeleine. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the warmth of the place - we have a terrific staff who really go out of their way to help guests enjoy their time in Santa Fe. So glad you liked the breakfasts too - we try to have something for everyone, with an emphasis on regional cuisine. May your journeys bring you back to Santa Fe before too long.

Been to Madeleine Inn? Share your experiences!