“Fabulous place! Just watch the AC in late June!” 4 of 5 stars

Rates starting at $99
Ranked #9 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
milford, ct
“Fabulous place! Just watch the AC in late June!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

The Madeleine Inn was fabulous by and large, but I did have a couple of issues with my stay there:
The air conditioning was the most notable. We arrived late on the first day, and turned on the somewhat tiny window-mounted AC unit around 9pm. It didn't really cut it. I had kicked off every blanket and as much as clothing as possible, and was still lying in bed sweating until about 4:00am, fantasizing about central air and debating sleeping on the porch outside. Having learnt my lesson, I left it on full blast 24/7 the remainder of my stay (and even then it never really got cold), and didn't have another bad night of sleep. The last day of my stay I overheard other guests complaining about their AC at breakfast, and the inn keepers mentioned something about cleaning filters. I sort of feel like the AC units needed to be twice the size to really cover the size of the somewhat large rooms - but who knows, maybe it was the filters..
The only other gripe was that our room's bathroom had no sink - it was in the bedroom proper, and so getting up late at night to use the bathroom meant waking up my gf (or her waking me up). Most of the rooms were like this too. Or particular room (morning glory) also had a warning that if the adjoining room was using the shower at the same time, we might get flashes of cold water. We never had an issue with that, though.
Everything else, pretty much incredible! Breakfast was beyond delicious, the location convenient but cozy, the staff super nice, and the ambiance just crazy cozy. I'd stay here again if ever we go back to Santa Fe - especially in cooler weather!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SterlingAutometon
, Owner at The Madeleine, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Santa Fe has two really hot weeks in June, just before the "monsoons" of July and August, and this year is particularly hot and dry. We got our air conditioners in well before the heat wave, and assumed our air conditioning service man had cleaned the filters. Lesson Number One: Never Assume! As soon as we were told by a guest that the a.c. unit was not providing much cool air, we checked the filters. Lo and behold, they had not been cleaned as promised. Once we got them all cleaned, the rooms were quite comfortable, even in the 97 degree heat.

Five of our rooms are in the historic building, which was built in 1886, when indoor plumbing was the height of luxury. The house was built with just one bathroom, so all the others have been retro-fitted, which makes for some less than traditional bathroom set-ups. The house is full of incredible stained glass and ornate woodwork, but for those wanting a standard bathroom set-up, I would recommend choosing to stay in The Columbine Room, The Violet or The Forsythia rooms.

I wish I had known you were uncomfortable the first night so I could have come over to troubleshoot the ac right then and there. I am available 24/7 to deal with any problems that might arise, as noted in the information booklet, and regret that I was not aware of any problems until the next morning. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, other than that first hot night, and we look forward to the pleasure of accommodating you again in the future.

Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

The trip to the La Madeleine was the best ever. There were lilacs in the room as well as other flowers. Carolyn, the owner, knows how much we like lilacs. It was exquisite for me to sleep with a huge bouquet of lilacs in our room. I have never gotten to do that in my whole life. The staff treat us like honored guests, and I cannot imagine going anywhere else in Santa Fe. We stayed in the Geranium room. For couples, it might be better to pick a room where the bathroom is not across the hall, but honestly, it is not a big deal to walk across the hall to the bathroom. There is a sink in the room, so it is a great room. We are already excited about our next trip to Santa Fe, and we will definitely stay at the La Madaleine. Even the guests are friendly! We met the bride and groom of the wedding and their guests who had picked the place for their wedding and the begging of their honeymoon. The organic breakfasts and snacks are delicious, and I really appreciate my dietary limits accommodations being graciously honored. The trip was delightful!! We can hardly wait to come again!! I highly recommend it!!!

Room Tip: I would suggest that couples pick a room other than the Germanium room for privacy reasons. Also...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

We selected the Madeleine Inn because we wanted accommodations withing walking distance of the Plaza and museums. We did not know Santa Fe at all, and were delighted to find the B & B located on a very quiet side street, yet within easy reach by foot or car to wherever we wanted to go. I appreciated the Victorian building in the midst of all the Santa Fe southwestern architecture. The Hyacinth room was ample and comfortable, with an alcove desk where we were able to use our laptop in comfort. The public rooms were well maintained and the staff was available and always helpful. The courtyard provided a good place to read, and the breakfast room in the Nicholas Hacienda included a lovely courtyard location also. A great find.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012 via mobile

One person's quaint and charming is another's old and funky. Unfortunately, I'm rating this inn in the latter category. A B&B isn't supposed to be a sleek Hilton, but our room (Columbine) lacked some conveniences, such as adequate plugs for charging our devices. The closet was microscopic (four hangers) and the furniture layout awkward.

On the plus side: very quiet, helpful staff, great breakfasts.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nhulberg
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at The Madeleine, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
I am grateful to this reviewer for pointing out the lack of hangers in the closet. Clearly four hangers is not at all adequate, and it is our intention to keep a dozen in each guest room closet. It would seem that some of our hangers went MIA and it was our oversight that they did not get replaced. The armoire is now fully stocked with hangers. My utmost apologies that you did not have the hangers you needed, and I regret that we were not made aware of this lack during your stay. We always have plenty of back-up!

The Madeleine is located in a Queen Anne Victorian built in 1886, and as such, does not have loads of outlets. However, there is a surge protector, with three empty outlets, as well as several outlets in one of the cabinets next to the fireplace of Columbine. All counting, there are six outlets available for charging phones, iPods, iPads, computers, etc.

I might recommend that guests wanting the atmosphere of an historic home but the size and convenience of a newer room choose to stay in either the Violet of the Forsythia Rooms. These units, located in the back gardens of the inn, were built about 20 years ago and have more modern floor plans and layouts. These units offer the utmost in privacy and modern conveniences, but also have a similar architecture to the historic Madeleine Inn.
Pikesville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This bed and breakfast ranks among the best we've ever stayed at. We were lucky to choose the third floor Ivy Room, which was perfect for two people. Though the ceilings are slanted, there is actually a lot of space - a bedroom area, bathroom, and large sitting room. There is also a door at the end of the sitting room that can be opened to let in sunshine and cool breezes. If you like a very quiet room where you only hear the birds in the morning (if you crack the windows open) then this is the place for you. The place is located in a quiet area but close enough to town to be an easy walk. We didn't have to drive at all, except to go to the mountains. The staff is wonderful and they make amazing breakfasts. There is always lemon water, tea, and snack foods available. Everything was handled in a most professional manner. The building is beautiful - a real classic that was built well and has been kept in great shape. Didn't use the adjoining spa, as we found it too pricey for us. Was afraid that we'd be talked into going to it, but that didn't happen. We would definitely stay there again and highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Starchild027
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2012

The Room was very, very nice. The entire stay was above and beyond our expectation. Friendly people, great food, a perfect location and a very pleasurable time there.
My husband also enjoyed the "massage" !!!!!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Champaign
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

We were on the road and making reservations and were hoping to get into the Hacienda. They were full but we were able to get a room at the Madeline (right across the street) which was fabulous. This may be the only B & B where I heard no "house sounds" - very quiet! Also, very nicely appointed with home made cookies, snacks and drinks available throughout the day. The staff is extrememly friendly, helpful and willing to make reservations.
The location is perfect. We walked to old Santa Fe which is just a few blocks, walked to Canyon Road and restaurants are easily accessed.
Breakfasts were wonderful with a variety of options and the conversation with other guests included a lot of recommendations for places to go and things to see and do in Santa Fe.
The world class spa was definitely a draw but time got away from us. Next time!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple