“Comfortable friendly inn close to main square” 5 of 5 stars

Santa Fe Summer Special
Ranked #14 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Travelling for a year
“Comfortable friendly inn close to main square”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

This is a well located, friendly inn with comfortable beds and in a great location. The on-site spa is lovely. The free cookies in the main area are delicious, but I do think that breakfast could be better if you do not want the standard main choice (we are vegetarian). The tips on what to do and see while in Santa Fe were really great, although we could do not do them all due to forest fires - at least it means we will be coming back to the area and will stay in Madeline Inn again :-)

Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, August 22, 2011
We are delighted to know how much you enjoyed your stay at The Madeleine and in Santa Fe. There seems to be a bit of confusion regarding the main breakfast entree however. Every single hot dish is vegetarian, whether it be the Blue Corn Pinon Waffles, the Southwest Breakfast Enchiladas, the Frittatas or anything else we serve. We offer bacon or Canadian bacon on the side on most mornings, but that is optional. Because many of our guests are vegetarian, we decided to make everything without meat, yet offer it on the side for those who want meat with their breakfast. In addition to the hot dish we have homemade granola, muesli, fruit salad, yogurts, homemade sweet breads as well as sourdough and whole wheat toast. In addition, we offer almond butter and peanut butter for those who want additional protein on their bread.

220 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Bolingbrook, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I stayed here three times in 2010 (July, August, November) which I reviewed back on January 6, 2011. I came back for another 8 night stay from July 27-August 4, 2011.

What can I say? It was even better this time around. I love this old Victorian building, the great breakfasts, the free wi-fi, the little writing desk in my room (Hyacinth), the lovely sitting garden off the front porch. Great place to rest and relax. It’s at the end of a quiet dead end street and is in easy walking distance to The Plaza (so no worries about finding parking near the Plaza).

My vacation last year to New Mexico, and Santa Fe in particular, was an always on the move, see and do everything I can extravaganza. I loved it and wouldn’t change anything. But this time around I decided to do it a bit differently and relax quite a bit more. The Madeleine proved to be a great place to just hang out and relax, whether at breakfast with fellow guests, on the porch overlooking the garden at the Madeleine, in the large, comfy 'living room' or even (gasp) in my own room where I had two comfy chairs (one more than I needed) plus that small writing desk. I've also gotten to know many of the staff by name which adds to the enjoyment and relaxation. In addition there is the adjacent Absolute Nirvana Spa (same owners). The three excellent massages I had there didn't exactly hurt the relaxtion goal!

My favorite Madeleine Inn moment: I was just sitting on the covered porch for a few hours reading, reflecting, journaling, etc. with the wind rustling through the trees, thunder in the distance, rain threatening, finally coming (which is always great during monsoon season) and then clearing with the sun breaking through. Loved it. LOVED IT!!!

Looking forward to my 3 night stay in November...AND in December.

Keith

Room Tip: Be sure to check out the pics and descriptions online of each of their rooms...it'll help you ch...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

I spent a three-day weekend at the Madeleine with my sister. We both enjoyed our stay, and I plan to return. The grounds are lovely--it's an old house with small adjacent buildings, across a quiet dead-end street from the Hacienda Nicholas (under the same ownership). The rooms are comfortable (ours was very spacious) and tastefully decorated. A generous, tasty breakfast is included, and homemade cookies are provided later for snacking. The staff is very friendly and helpful. One of the pleasures is meeting the other guests at breakfast and again at "happy hour" (BYOB but snacks are provided).. I'd characterize the clientele as tending towards the arty or arts-friendly. The atmosphere was friendly and laid back, and we found ourselves invited to dine with two couples who have been coming for years. The spa is lovely--tranquil and fragrant. If you are spending a short time in Santa Fe and don't want to visit places outside the "downtown" and gallery areas, you won't even need to rent a car!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We had two nights at the Madeleine Inn. It was a pleasant enough stay and we wouldn't discourage others from going by any means, but we will likely choose other accommodations in the future since the experience didn't match the costs.

We were disappointed that we had specified a need for dietary accommodations months in advance and were told they would be no trouble. We had to scrounge our first day there after checking in two more times with staff who assured us that there would be no problems. Also, it would great for the "green" accommodations to match it with organic, sustainable food choices.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
carolyninnkeeper, Owner at Madeleine Inn, responded to this review, August 6, 2011
These guests had indeed let us know in advance of their gluten-free and dairy-free diets, and preparations had been made. The gluten-free Udi’s bread had been set out the night before, and it had been determined that they could eat eggs as well. The innkeeper was completely aware of these requests, and was prepared to make them eggs to go with their toast. The problem arose because I, the owner, was the one to greet these guests on their first morning. As the owner, I do not get directly involved in daily food preparation, and was not in the loop. It caused a bit of confusion initially, but I thought the situation was resolved nicely when they were quickly served the gluten-free toast, scrambled eggs and fruit for breakfast. I regret that I didn’t follow up with these guests further on this issue, as we had many more conversations on other matters, but I didn’t realize it was an ongoing concern in their minds. In hindsight, I ought to have gone into detail about the preparations that had been discussed unbeknownst to me at the time.

As for the serving of all organic foods, I would absolutely love to be able to do that.  However, budgetary constraints do not allow us to stock more than what we do now that is organic and local: coffee, bread, peanut butter/almond butter, jams, chips, oatmeal, blue corn flour and that sort of thing.  If I felt that charging an extra $25 or so per room was economically feasible at this point in time, I would do it in a heartbeat so that every single piece of fruit, every hot dish and every cookie was organic. Raising our rates at this point in time, however, does not feel like a prudent move.

As a 'green inn' we do as much as possible, and I believe we do much more than any other inn or lodging in Santa Fe: 80% of our energy is wind-generated, we use only green cleaning agents for housekeeping and laundry, our laundry water is recycled for garden use, we use no disposable paper or plastic products, and recycle everything possible. We will continue to work on being more green and more organic, as finances allow.
Greenwood Village, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

We stayed here last weekend with two other couples. While our room was small, there was plenty of common space between The Madelaine and the Hacienda Nicholas where we could sit and hang out with our friends. It was like having our own private living room. Breakfast was great. Cookies and snacks are available all the time. Very nice staff.

Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed in the Columbine room on the first floor, although it is right next to the main entry the room is very quiet, the king size bed was wonderful, I was going to see if they used a special mattress pad but forgot to look. The breakfast was fabulous and the cook, he is just great, a full breakfast. Everyone, was very helpful and friendly. We plan to get a group of friends and go back the end of October to stay. Very close to plaza, eat at The Shed, or Thomasitas.

Room Tip: We like the Columbine, very quiet, bed was so comfortable.The only thing i would change is i would r...
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2011

Staff were freiendly. Nice and quiet. Very close to the Plaza. Has free parking. Wonderful breakfast with fabulous coffee.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Madeleine Inn? Share your experiences!