“Absolutely Delightful - Super Helpful Owner!” 5 of 5 stars

442 Old Las Vegas Highway, Santa Fe, NM 87505   |
Ranked #14 of 43 Santa Fe B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Colorado
“Absolutely Delightful - Super Helpful Owner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

I am a very busy mom and a full time student, and my husband works in law. Needless to say, our lives are very hectic and about every 3 months, we take some time away from the "grind" to recharge our batteries. This time, my husband purchased a Groupon for The Bobcat Inn, as a Christmas gift for me. We have been wanting to visit Santa Fe for quite some time, and it is a reasonable 4 to 5 hour drive from Denver. So, on MLK weekend, we sent the kids to their dad's house and we were off!

Amy was there to greet us when we checked in, and was so helpful. As she was walking us around the main house (which is furnished with lovely pieces and is very charming), I asked if she had any water bottles in the rooms, as I am known for being thirsty ALL OF THE TIME - she immediately stopped and offered me a glass of ice water. We saw the main room (as mentioned), the beautiful modern kitchen, and then Amy walked us out of the back door and towards our room.

The room that we had booked was the Kachina II, which is outside of the main house, in what I would call a Casita. The king sized bed was SUPER comfortable - even more so than my cozy comfy bed at home, and there were plenty of pillows, which is a plus for me, as I am a pillow hog :) The sheets were very, very soft and comfortable, as well. It was cold outside, but plenty warm in the room. In addition to the bed, the room was furnished with two nightstands, lamps, and a bureau for clothes (the TV sits on the bureau) - and many fun touches of Kachina dolls throughout.

The bathroom has some really fun & funky blue/yellow tiles and was supplied with plenty of soft towels. I really like to use a lot of towels, and when I asked Amy for a couple more, she very graciously brought them to me immediately. The bathroom also comes stocked with some nice toiletries, such as soap, shampoo and lotion The closet is very spacious and includes an additional 2 large pillows, and a huge down comforter. It was not cold enough for us to use the comforter (and the heater works very well), but on frigid, snowy nights, I am sure it would be most welcomed.

Finally, there is a large porch with a table and two chairs. It was too cool for us to sit outside during our stay, but I could definitely see this as a prime place to sit outside for a glass of wine, to watch the scenery, during warmer months.

The food that Amy prepared was plentiful, and delicious. Each day she offered coffee, tea, juice, fruit, yogurt and granola. The main selection at our first breakfast was stuffed french toast with Apricot sauce - delicious, and bacon!! The second day, we were treated to a spinach/mushroom frittata - also very yummy. Amy serves the food buffet style, and there is plenty to go around. She also checked with us a couple of times during our meal to make sure that we had enough to eat, and offered to make more when we were still just a bit hungry.

Amy was also helpful to us in two additional ways. First, she suggested an amazing restaurant for our dinner - Maria's. The place is somewhat of a hole in the wall but the food is OUTSTANDING and the margaritas deadly. We look forward to going back!!

Secondly, when we left, we made incredible mistake of leaving the laptop that I use for school behind!! By the time Amy called us, we were 2.5 hours into our 5 hour journey home, and just couldn't turn back to get it. Amy did us the favor of taking my computer to the local FedEx store and having it very securely packed, and sent back to me. It arrived 2 days later in perfect condition, and I feel like I owe her big time for that!!

Our stay at The Bobcat Inn was warm, comfortable and luxurious. I am happy to recommend it, and it's lovely owner Amy, to anyone :)

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Dallas, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

Beautiful warm rooms--we stayed in the Cowboy Room with it's personal fire place. We were cozy under the covers on the big bed! Free cookies, candies, wine and roses on our arrival. Gourmet breakfasts were wonderfully prepared and more than we expected. We didn't even need lunch. The owner had a ton of information regarding Santa Fe. She pointed us to the best Mexican food in town at Maria's. I love this place and I wouldn't stay anywhere else if I'm in the area.

Also, we were there when it was snowing and the place was absolutely beautiful covered in a dusting of snow. And I have no idea what Curious MsM was referring to in her comment about a musty smell. The place smells perfectly fine. I didn't experience any of what he/she experienced.

Room Tip: Cowboy Room has a private fireplace, opens to the courtyard and next to the kitchen. Very handy ind...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2012

It is so great to have an alternate to the very pricey B&B options within a few miles of downtown Santa Fe. I have stayed at the Bobcat Inn several times and appreciate the atmosphere and spirit of customer service I have always experienced. I highly recommend it to those who do not mind being being a little removed from the Plaza area (though rather close to many of the museums). In addition to other things I loved the sunsets - which seemed to be 360 degrees - and the star-filled view of the sky. Kudos to Amy!

Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Albuquerque, New Mexico
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2012

The owner is proud of the "mission style" furniture, but the older wood and cloth furnishing produce a strong, unpleasant musty smell. The facility might more pleasant when the weather allows for open windows. Period furnishing often have the very obvious defects of wear like missing paint and cracked glass on picture frames, rips in leather table coverings, unsteady chair arms, etc.

The information book in the bedroom could be enhanced, especially for guests who arrive when the property is unattended. The owner did leave a note with the keys on the front door of the house stating that she would meet us at breakfast the next day.

The Kachina room is beautifully furnished with, of course, katchina dolls. It is very large and, apart from the door jam, handicap friendly. The bathroom has grab bars and a roll-in shower but needs a new floor. The very large closet has a mixture of hangers but mainly dry cleaner style wire ones. Sheets are changed once if the stay is at least 5 days.

The walking path starts on the side of the house and is loosely marked with an unpainted sign. The path may be more obvious in the summer when flowers could highlight a trellis a short way into the walk. The property is on ten acres, very little of which is available to guests.

When we called the owner to say that we were not staying although it would forfeit our payment, she did offer to have us come at a different date. However first impressions are lasting impressions and difficult to erase.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
applepicker, Owner at The Bobcat Inn, responded to this review, January 15, 2012
I find this review very troubling and not accurate. We usually close in January and take a break. Santa Fe is a very seasonal tourist destination. However, this year we decided to run some specials including a limited number of groupons. So far the people have been absolutely fabulous and have been saying they are coming back in the summer. This was the reason that we did this. The guest who purchased this groupon and wrote this review did not even stay with us. I did not run their deposit. They paid groupon. I also told them that their groupon was transferable.
Her husband called and asked me if they could check in early. I assured them that would be fine and that they could use our self check in method. I told him to please call me if they needed anything and I would be back later in the afternoon.
She did call me and must have spent hours trying to find fault with our place. Her main concern was my stuffed bobcats which add character to our establishment. They are also featured in the picture on our website. I love animals and I purchased them at an antique shop. The large charcoal drawing of the elk being attacked by wolves was done by my great grandmother and originally had a gold picture frame that I destressed and painted black. Everyone loves it and comments about it. The tables are equipale and are also distressed. The chair that she mentions is a rocking chair with a kilim pattern from Seret & Sons, a very high end rug & textile store in Santa fe. I have never had anyone complain about a musty smell. It just does not exist. The couch and table are mission style and made with real wood unlike furniture today.
The kachina room is handicapped accessible and perfect for families because of its size. The bathroom does have an oversized shower with grab bars which elderly people love. The floor in the bathroom is tile and maybe has one chip in the entire tile floor. I do need to replace the hangers in the closet and that will be done next week.
I really don't think this person would enjoy coming back to our inn. We are very old style Santa Fe and perhaps she would prefer a contemporary California style inn in Santa fe. I moved to Santa Fe 25 years ago because I love thick adobe walls, vigas, Navajo rugs, turquoise and I am so happy that Santa Fe has been kept historic.
Newport, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2011

We stayed here 4 nites around the Christmas holidays. The location was convenient to downtown and the scenery fabulous. The breakfasts were always different and delicious. We appreciated Amy's hospitality and found the morning conversations with other guests at breakfast helpful in sharing touring information. We would recommend the Bobcat to others looking for "a different" experience (vs. hotel/motel stay) in "the City Different".

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Golden, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

We stayed one night last year at this time and two nights this time and will come back next year as this is becoming a tradition for the day(s) after Thanksgiving. Amy took great care to make our stay comfortable and breakfasts were very well done.

Room Tip: "The Lodge" was our favorite.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Shelton, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2011

We spent one night here this past October and hope to return when we go to NM again in the spring. The room was spacious, the house lovely and clean, and breakfast was delicious. Access to Santa Fe was easy and there was ample literature about NM available. The owner was both gracious and informative in response to our questions.

Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to The Bobcat Inn? Share your experiences!