“Great for short term but make sure rate is agreed on in advance!” 4 of 5 stars

Tranquilla Inn
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4044 Cerrillos Rd., Santa Fe, NM 87507   |
Ranked #54 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Great for short term but make sure rate is agreed on in advance!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I needed a short term place to stay while waiting for my house to be ready. Tranquilla Inn was clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. Only problem was with a misunderstanding/misrepresentation of the rate because I was staying an odd number of days.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

I'd stayed here often over the years when the place was a Red Roof Inn, a dependable and pleasant budget-hotel choice. Since the change of ownership earlier this year, I'd been curious about trying out the 'Tranquilla Inn'. After my recent one-night stay, however, I don't expect to return.

The price was low--$45 for a Friday night during the summer tourist season. Evidently they have lower rates for weekly or longer stays. The facilities are ok, if a little more run-down than before. Oddly, my room had neither telephones nor a single wastebasket. No sign of bedbugs or other insect life. The front desk clerk was friendly enough, and accommodating of my request for a particular part of the hotel. So far so good.

However, I was surprised when the clerk asked if I'd need to be out between 11pm and 7am, as they shut down the front desk and lock the outside doors during that period. I was given a key to the front door which I used to let myself in, but when I attempted to exit the same door to get another item from my car, found the key did not work to let myself out. I was trapped inside the hotel -- and then had trouble with the key-card to my room, which only let me in after multiple swipes.

Eventually I discovered that I could get out to the parking lot through a side door and use the lobby key to re-enter, so I was not in fact trapped inside the hotel. However, as often as I've had trouble with demagnetized or non-working key-cards over the years, I don't feel at all confident staying in a hotel without a night clerk on duty, in case I can't get into my room. This one factor will prevent me from staying here again.

Room Tip: No desk clerk available between 11pm and 7am. Hotel locks up at night, so you will need to have the...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Santa Fe, New Mexico, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed at The Tranquilla Inn for about 7 weeks and got so many bug bites that when I finally complained they threw me out. I was there 2 weeks and then my son needed to stay with me. I had a room with 1 king sized bed and asked to be moved to a room with 2 beds. My son stayed with me for 4 nights before they moved us to a room with 2 beds. The night they moved us we started getting bug bites. They told me that my son had brought the "bed bugs" with him but if he had brought the "bed bugs with him they would have been in the room with the king bed not the room with 2 beds. I don't know what kind of bugs were biting us but management nor ownership did anything about it. DON'T STAY AT THE TRANQUILL INN.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

funny thing is, they acted surprised and shocked that they have them AT ALL. Now i read a review below that they ve had them since last year. NOW I am angry. thank goodness i checked before getting into bed. We ended up sleeping in our car at walmart rather than risk it at another hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay there!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Saskatoon, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We were traveling through and ended up spending 1 night the end of December 2012 with our two young kids. We arrived about 6:30 in the evening after traveling over 10 hours. Shortly after we arrived in our room we got a call from the front desk asking us to be quieter. We had our kids stay on the bed (which was pretty hard after spending 10 hours buckled in car seats). One of us went to use the shower which made horrible creaking noise when you stood in it and again we got a call from the manager who was staying in the room directly below us. He told us he was trying to sleep. We thought that was odd at 7:00 at night and so we went to the front desk to ask if they had another room we could move too. The front desk clerk indicated there were no extra rooms. She phoned the manger to see what the problem was and he told her he was just watching TV, not sleeping ! It was a very noisy hotel, not very clean, stained sheets, no WI reception unless you stood in front of the door, only two small thin bath towels and no shampoo. We had an awful sleep and ended up leaving by 4:00 a.m. I would pay the little extra $$ and stay elsewhere !

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Providence, Rhode Island
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2012

There was very little hot water in the shower. Though our room was non-smoking, the smell from the smoking rooms overwhelmed our room. The "breakfast" advertised was coffee and toast. Maid service was not a daily routine. Towels were always in shortage. The hallways were not well heated. Beds are rather hard. In retrospect I probably would have spent a few extra dollars to go to a different place.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Sarasota, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We stayed here in December and the place was $120 for 4 nights so was a great value for money base whilst we were in Santa Fe. The room was clean and we had two queen sized beds in our room. Bathrrom was nice and we had clean towels.
There wasn't a tea or coffee making facility in the room but there was ample coffee in the lobby.
Good up to date furniture and beds, wifi was easy to access and we were happy to get a good clean nights sleep. If you have sensitive ears, invest in a set of ear plugs, but apart from the busy main road, no complaints by us.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Tranquilla Inn? Share your experiences!