“Great Capital” 5 of 5 stars
Review of New Mexico State Capitol (Roundhouse)

New Mexico State Capitol (Roundhouse)
Paseo de Peralta and Old Santa Fe Trail, Santa Fe, NM
The Woodlands, Texas
21 attraction reviews
“Great Capital”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

On summer trips we like to see the state capital. This was great it had everthing from very nice people to help with any questions you may have. They also have daily tours. There is beatiful art work displayed thoughout the roundhouse. The best part was being able to get a tour of the office where the governor has meetings. My kids were able to get packets of information of the state . It was good family fun we loved it.

Little Elm, Texas
105 attraction reviews
“Not a Fan”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My family makes it a point to visit the capitol building of each state we visit when we travel assuming the path works out. We do not as a general rule take the tours of the inside of these buildings but instead choose to walk the grounds, admire the architecture, history and sculptures when available. Understanding that the adobe style is the norm for the area, I still expected to see the capitol building with more of an architectural style similar to the traditional capitol buildings. This one did not have any of the same elements which definitely makes it unique but it is one that I am simply not a fan.

Vancouver, BC
3 attraction reviews
“Great quilt exhibit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

The building itself is based upon Peublo architecture and the 4 directions but I went to the wonderful exhibit of textile art on display. The quilts were amazing and so intricate. There was a lot of other great art on display. I didn't really tour the building itself.

Visited June 2013
Austin Texas
“A Capitol with character”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013 via mobile

Visiting the Capitol was like going to another art museum. It was wonderfully eclectic. The building is also lovely. It was nice to see a Capitol with character. Don't miss it!

Los Angeles
32 attraction reviews
“Don't Miss It!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We didn’t think that a State Capitol could be so very interesting. I am sure glad I made the visit to this beautiful building. It’s only about 50 years old, and is a round, 4 story structure. We just wandered around without a guide, and were particularly impressed with the Senate and House chambers which were not in session. With nary a person in sight (OK, it was a Saturday), we took photographs of the beautiful chambers. There was a Visitors Center, but we just wandered on our own, taking in the current rotating exhibit of “New Mexico: Unfolding”, an exhibition of contemporary fiber art – I was unfamiliar with this art form and must admit that it was spectacular. We were also impressed with the other art work throughout the building,especially the oil paintings. The Capitol is just a few blocks from the Plaza, so don’t miss a chance to see it (you should also stop for lunch at a casual little restaurant next to the Capitol – it’s called Jalapenos at 3005 S. Saint Francis. It was some of the best Mexican food and service I’ve had. Too bad it’s not reviewed in TripAvisor or I would add a review).

Visited June 2013