“All's well that ends well” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
AAA Members Save 10%
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Santa Fe
Virginia
“All's well that ends well”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2010

This hotel's experience started badly. I had called up weeks before arriving to ask if we could have an early check-in. They said it would likely be possible, but we had to call the morning that we were coming in to confirm a room's availability. We did just that and then called a couple of more times on the way to verify and they said A-OK, but when we got there – guess what? There was no room ready to be occupied. They scrambled to get one ready, but we were very tired and I was genuinely pissed. Reliability, the need to trust what people tell you that they will do that they will actually do it is near the top of my pyramid of expectations of people's behavior, particularly for those to whom I am paying good money for services. I was seething and this was not a good start. Fortunately, the stay from that point on was very good.

They put us in what they call a casita. This was one of four separate structures from the main hotel, each having 4 rooms on each of the two floors. This was very private and quiet, particularly due to the lack of elevators, ice and vending machines or in our case, any other guests ( at least I did not hear any ). A spacious, clean, quiet room with excellent bedding is nirvana for me. This casita fit the bill. The only negative was that I had to haul my laundry over to the main building, but this was a small price to pay. This was a real suite, with a large living room and kitchen and then a separate large bedroom. We hadn't had anywhere near this much space since we stayed at the Fours Seasons in Las Vegas (alright, the Four Seasons was a lot bigger, but that was a palace). It was a lovely space, brand new, just like the hotel, itself. The bathroom was surprisingly cheap looking, but completely serviceable. The suite was so comfortable that we decided to just stay in and relax, even though we were completely settled by 3PM.

This was only our second time at a Homewood Suites. The first was in Washington, D.C., where it was also very nice and offered a good breakfast. So I finally decided to try one again, years later. The breakfast was still good. What was even better was the food in the evening, which they serve Monday through Thursday. They had a very tasty fried chicken, salad, rolls, drinks, etc. We enjoyed it so much that we loaded up to take back to the fridge in our room for a picnic lunch the next day. The staff didn't stare at us nastily, like in some places. They offered boxes to pack the food. I loved the dining area which had very high ceilings and big, floor to ceiling windows, so that it was light and airy. While we didn't use it, they had a very nice pool.

Overall, we had one of the most relaxing lodging experiences we ever had, maybe the most relaxing. In fact, I could see going back there someday with the primary intent of spending a good percentage of our stay just vegging in the suite and lingering over our meals. There are only a handful of other hotels where I ever had a similar desire. The only negative, outside of the bad beginning, is that it is pretty far from the city of Santa Fe and if you you only have a day or two in the area, it may be more sensible to stay in town.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2010

Homewood Suites located north of downtown, located adjacent to the Hilton's Buffalo Thunder Resort and Casino. Nice suites, well apportioned, lovely public rooms and a good buffet breakfast included in the price. We were there for the weekend, so we didn't have a chance to partake of the Monday-Thursday suppers. You can take advantage of all the amenities at the Hilton (Starbucks, gym, bars and restaurants), golf (or hike the golf course which is what we did - at the top of the hill, you have a beautiful view of the surrounding area), and use it as a base for exploring Santa Fe. Wireless internet at no extra charge worked perfectly. Ask for a room in one of the casitas in back facing east if you don't want to hear the freeway noise. More convenient to the opera than the downtown hotels. Great value for the money.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Martinez, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We booked Homewood because the condo we usually book was full. You cannot beat the price. With breakfast included and a casual supper Monday-Thurs, it's an incredible value. Our casita was very nice, well-equipped, clean and spacious. BUT - caveat - it's not a convenient place to stay. There is nothing within 8-10 miles of the hotel. There is the adjacent casino and it has dining - if you want to either eat at a buffet (we did and wouldn't recommend) or at an expensive restaurant. There isn't even a convenient market to get supplies. It is very kid-friendly, as borne out by the number of families there. However it seemed that the parents dumped the kids at the pool and went golfing. Both outdoor pools are very nice but for people who want to relax it's just too chaotic and noisy. It would be much better if there was an adults only pool area. One night the entire casino pool area was cordoned off for a very noisy party with a loud band. The indoor spa pool was even packed with noisy kids - not very spa-like. We stayed two nights and found a hotel in Santa Fe which more closely suited our needs. On the plus side - it is very close to great hiking areas and not to far from historic Los Alamos.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2010

When we tried to book a hotel for a week in August in Santa Fe back in March, I was astounded there were no rooms available anywhere. The week we chose is the week of the annual Indian Art Market. The only room we could get was at this Homewood Suites. We had never stayed at a Homewood Suites hotel before, but certainly would again.

Though the hotel is at least a 15-minute highway drive from the center of Santa Fe, it is in a beautiful area with the Hilton right next door (which has a casino) and surrounded by the Towa golf course. It is only a few miles from Tesuque with its great roadhouse restaurant (the Tesuque Village Market) and the Santa Fe Opera House.

The swimming pool is big, the grounds beautifully kept, the staff very friendly and helpful, the rooms immaculate - and so practical for people who (like us) had been travelling for two weeks and were dying to wash clothes and iron them! The fully equipped kitchen gave us the chance to take a break from constant restaurant meals.

For all the posters complaining about smokers: we're smokers and we loved that the HS offers the possibility of having a smoking room!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

After reading the horrible reviews, I was scared to go but I had no choice because it was a business trip and I could not choose the hotel. After a bad check-in due to a moronic customer (not management's fault), I was given a room in the main building. Apparently, the main building suites are not as nice as the other suites but the main building has an elevator whereas the outside suites have stairs. I found my suite to be nice (typical Homewood Suites).

The hotel is next to the Buffalo Thunder casino. Check out the Monday night buffet special for $7.77. The casino is small but has a few restaurants and you have access to the nice pools and pretty good fitness room. I used the Hilton fitness room rather than the Homewood Suites one because it was better. Note to Homewood Suites: improve your fitness rooms!

I used the Homewoods outdoor pool which was nice but had black lounge chairs which could burn the skin. I simply placed towels all over the chair and was good to go. The hilton pools (outdoor and indoor) are superior and also have a whirlpool.

The complimentary breakfast was perfectly fine and had enough variety. The happy hour food was adequate. I mostly went out for dinner but you need a car (this hotel is fairly far north of downtown Santa Fe). The casino next door can be walked to and has some restaurants and bars.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2010

The worst Homewood Suites I have stayed in to date. We asked for a nonsmoker room and got a smoker room that had been "cleaned". Smell was awful. When I complained to management and asked for a change I was told that there were no rooms available but they could do a "30 min. ozone treatment" that would make a big difference. Only for about an hr and then it went back to smelling musty and like stale tobacco. My daughter literally gagged every time we left the suite and returned.
Housekeeping was below average. Asked to have the room vacuumed several times as we were there for over a week but they never did. Once they forgot to clean the room at all and when I called the front desk they asked me if I could make do with a few clean towels?! I said no as it was only 4 PM and they sent someone up to do a little better than that.
Front desk was very disorganized and staffed by young women that seemed to be in their early 20's and inexperienced. Only one person on duty in a packed hotel with over 120 suites is not going to run smoothly.
Breakfast was awful. fake eggs that had been pre-made and microwaved before being put out. Same rubbery sausage day after day. My family all said it was inedible so I tried it on the last day and it was that bad. Cheap white and wheat breads to toast and frozen mini bagels. Most of the fruit was canned. Only two cereal choices. At least the kitchen staff was friendly and helpful.
Best part was the pool behind the hotel and the fact that the hotel was nicely located with good views of the desert.
Caren from Boston

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
hilton01, Front Office Manager at Homewood Suites Santa Fe, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
In regards to your TripAdvisor review about our Homewood Suites property in Santa Fe, I ask that you please contact me, or let me know how I can reach out to you to make this situation right. Please give me a call at 505-455-9100 or email me at Darlene.Martinez@Hilton.com. Again, I'd like to offer my sincerest apologies.
Baltimore, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2010

after booking and receiving a cofirmed non smoking room in March 2010, we were put in a smoking room upon check-in. The manager told us there were no other rooms (at 2:00 p.m.) available - they were sold out. The next day when the room was cleaned there was no toilet paper left. We called the front desk to ask for some but hours latter, it still wasn't there. When we were leaving for dinner we inquired again at the front desk about the toilet papper and she said she was the only one there and would have to bring it to our room herself. Then to add insult to injury, on the second day, we left the hotel at 9:00 am and returned at 4:30 pm to find that our room was never cleaned. We called the front desk and reported it and asked if we could at least have clean towls. It has been an hour, and still no clean towls.
The free morning breakfast is always out of food and the tables are dirty. Pretty sad for a fairly new property. My advice, unless you are desperate, don't stay here - too much stress.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
hilton01, Manager at Homewood Suites Santa Fe, responded to this review, July 13, 2010
We understand that vacations very important, so we try very hard to make sure all our guests have a rewarding experience at Homewood Suites. We are very sorry that our hotel was not able to provide you with the quality of service and amenities you deserve. We appreciate your feedback and I will be reaching out to you, in order to make this right.

Been to Homewood Suites Santa Fe? Share your experiences!