“Accidents happen....” 1 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #13 of 101 Activities in Santa Fe
Type: Hot Springs/ Geysers, Wellness & Spas
More attraction details
Owner description: Ten Thousand Waves is inspired by the great Japanese mountain hot spring resorts. Ten minutes from downtown Santa Fe, but only minutes from the National Forest, there is nothing quite like this on the North American continent. Among pinons and junipers are beautiful outdoor hot tubs and spa suites, world-class bodywork & skin care, and the amazing izanami restaurant. For a lucky few, it is the closest lodging to the Santa Fe Ski area.
Los Angeles, California
“Accidents happen....”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

After years of hearing people extoll the virtues of "Ten Thousand Waves" , I booked a room & massage for my husband & I to celebrate our birthdays. Upon arriving we found that the date had been mistakenly entered into the computer for the wrong month. I made my reservation by phone with a nice young man. We got to chatting & I fear this contributed to the snafu. I was also sent a confirmation email & did not notice the mistake at that time. The lessen here for me is to really read these confirmation emails. Check the dates & years that have been entered into the computer. Perhaps it was sour grapes on our part but we noticed a heck of a lot of traffic going past the rather tiny grounds. When it was pointed out on arrival that the treatment room was "just over there", I thought to myself, "a $300 soak & massage with the relaxing sound of trucks & cars going by. Hmmmmmm." The girl who started out pleasant was informing us that we would not be able to "stand up in our room" as it was an Airstream Trailer (we lived in one for 5 years so hearing this immediately snapped us I to reality) "When you came in that's why I said "Silvestra!" and you both smiled.", she said trying to deflect responsibility for the fact that she was well into checking us in, had taken our credit card & was into describing our room (we booked "Moonlet" which we were actually hoping to be able to stand up in for $375 a night.) when it dawned on her that we were not the "Silvestra" party. "I'm sorry", my husband said, "I thought "Silvestra!!" was some kind of new age greeting." (I did, too.) "This is an unfortunate mistake in that there's really nothing we can do for you. We are at maximum capacity. I can see if there are hotels nearby that might have a vacancy & you can book a room there & come back up here for your massage????" My husband & I looked at each other disbelief, at which point my husband turned to me & said, "wow...that sounds relaxing doesn't it sweetie?" After making sure that we would be refunded for the room & massages, (scheduled to be inhabited by us five weeks into the future) we grabbed hands, issued a final "Silvestra!!!" and called "The Inn of The Five Graces" from the parking lotwhich turned out to be the most magical move we
could have ever made. They too were at maximum capacity but somehow found us the most beautiful room which more than made up for poor customer service we found at "Ten Thousand Waves".

Denver, Colorado
“Anniversary Bliss”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2010

My husband and I just returned from a weekend at Ten Thousand Waves Spa and Resort. Calling it just short of heaven would not do it justice. We stayed on the property in Tsuki and it was incredible. The open space and natural lighting made the stay relaxing and wonderful. Our kitchen came with granola, soy, rice or regular milk, coffee and all sorts of tea. Eating breakfast or watching the stars out on our patio was the perfect star and end to every day. We splurged on the Waves of Bliss package and it was worth every penny. Our massage therapists were fantastic and we left our afternoon at the spa feeling 100% refreshed. I cannot give this place enough praise. Everything about it screams relaxation and we plan on going back 1st chance we get.

Amherst, Massachusetts
33 attraction reviews
“A Relaxing and Healing Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2010

My mate and I visited here in late July and reserved the Ichiban outdoor spa, which was perfect. I have been to many fine onsen in Japan and TTW is comparable, clean, and well-appointed. The massage facilities are also first-rate, and we left after three hours or soaking, sauna, and massage, feeling completely relaxed and refreshed.

Dallas, Texas
15 attraction reviews
“What has happened?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2010

Ever since my first experience six years ago, for me, this establishment represented the ultimate spa experience' against which all others were measured. Sad to say, that is no longer the case. For the second time in six months, the front desk bungled our hot tub arrangements, giving out two keys for the same tub! In February, the desk failed to notify us that our time was up, and people walked in on us! Today, there was someone already in our tub when we unlocked the door. All of thid was settled, embarrassment aside. Then, only one of the hair dryers in both of the ladies locker rooms worked! Having said that, our couples massage was every bit as wonderful as it has always been. Something is amiss here!

Divide, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
“Nirvana”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

My daughter and I indulged in two fantastic spa experiences at Ten Thousand Waves last weekend. We highly recommend the private ichiban bath -- simply divine. Reasonably priced for a 90 minute session. It has two tubs, private sauna, and Japanese bath/shower area. The bathing products are wonderful. The next day we enjoyed a one hour private bath in the waterfall pool -- lovely. Then on to head and neck massages and full body salt scrubs. The technicians were great and the treatments superior in every way. We would both highly recommend this spa. The atmosphere is fantastic and the setting is not to be missed. A must-do when you're visiting Santa Fe!