“Service nightmare!” 1 of 5 stars

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Las Cruces, New Mexico
“Service nightmare!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011 via mobile

If you want ok Sichuan style Chinese food in Santa Fe, and are also ready for harassment by their senior waiter, I recommend you come to this place.

We were a group of 10. The waiter refused to answer questions about their dishes because they were too busy as if we were eating for free. The waiter complained about us of not ordering drink first.

In the end, we requested split bills as some needed them for reimbursement. This seemed to be a disaster to their computer system and copies of the same full bill were given.

The owner offered free ice-cream indeed.

However, a 20% tip was included in our bill and I felt we were being robbed!

Our experience of bein served here was an absolutely nightmare!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

60% Recommend
Santa Fe, NM
“Owner getting meaner and meaner at the years go by”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

One of the worst experiences you should not submit yourself too. Also don't try to pay with a fifty or a hundred dollar bill as the owner actually holds the bills up to the light to see if they are real money..... Seriously. Never been treated so poorly and had to actually pay for rice to go with our entree which should have come with it. I have lived in town since 1983 and it amazes me that they have stayed in business as long as they have with such poor people skills. Don't waste your time or money going here.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Taos, New Mexico
“A Hideous Rip-Off”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

They charge for white rice even when you order meals that should come with rice. I'm speaking of meals that every Chinese restaurant in the US serves with rice automatically. In this case I mean Kung Pao. So yes we asked for the rice, but only because we thought it was missing. And they brought us one serving of rice and charged us for two servings because there were two of us eating?? I don't know because the only explanation we got from them when we complained about being charged for rice was, "Rice is expensive. We serve the finest 19year Jasmine rice". However, it was only regular rice. Nothing special about it. Additionally, the tofu was over-fried, burnt tasting and full of old tasting grease. The spinach was not cleaned. The lettuce wraps were ridiculously small for the $7 price and served with no sauce... Lousy, snooty atmosphere and a $65 tab for two adults and one child even when we were sharing appetizers, etc. makes this place just about the worst excuse for a "highly rated" Chinese restaurant I've ever been to.

• Visited April 2011
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe, NM
“Best Fried Rice & Iced Tea!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Been eating at Chows since they opened. They are a friendly, family-run restaurant. Lucy is very sweet & always courteous.
I've eaten at chinese restaurants in NY & LA. Never had a dish I didn't like.
They are creative, health-conscious, while still maintaining that classic taste.
Do not miss their fried rice (combo!) and refills of their mandarin orange, mint & honey iced tea. I always drink 2+ glasses.
Excellent. Santa Fe is fortunate.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, New Mexico
“Best Chiniese Restaurant in Santa Fe!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2010

I hear some people say "Chow's is not authentic Chinese". But those who are saying that are not authentic Chinese either! So, discount their comments. Their soups are excellent! Their foods are very comparable to many Chinese restaurants in San Francisco. I have nothing what-so-every to complain about this establishment.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere