“Bad Pizza - Good Pasta” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pranzo Italian Grill

Pranzo Italian Grill
540 Montezuma Ave, Santa Fe, NM 87501-2587 (Historic District)
505-984-2645
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Pranzo Italian Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #173 of 464 restaurants in Santa Fe
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Pizza
Good for: Doing business, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Historic District
Cross street: Guadalupe
Transit: Santa Fe terminus of New Mexico Railrunner Express is only 200 yards from Pranzo.
Santa Fe
“Bad Pizza - Good Pasta”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is a slightly above-average Italian restaurant with a diverse menu. There is a "cook" - no "chef", the service is erratic, but you get a lot of food for the price.

Visited October 2012

59% Recommend
Midland, Texas
“Homemade Italian in Santa Fe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012 via mobile

Went to Pranzo tonight for dinner had the lasagna, and my guest had a cioppino " a traditional fishermans stew, they have a nice wine menu, but not everything was available, I had a dark beer and my guest had a nice chianti, they have these very large salads but we decided to split a smaller insalata mista with the roasted pine nuts and balsamic vinaigrette, very tasty with the piñon. I decided to stick with something known and got the lasagne bolognese, it was very fresh, the homemade pasta was nice and full bodied not too soft, the filling was just right not too much, but the best was the marinara, very fresh and light tasting, with fresh basil on top, the only bad was the two pieces of toasted bread, the oil on them tasted old, unlike the spicy speciality oils you are served as an appetizer with focaccia. My guest had the fish stew which simply looked amazing , to have such wonderful seafood at 7k feet, Swimming in a delicious broth it is both light and filling, we had read about their wonderful F.X. O'Reilley ice cream, but were just too full to try, will do again next visit. If you are down near the train station go find the Sambuco mini mall and then Pranzo, they have a wonderful bar upstairs for a drink, or just have a bit of ice cream, or Italian ice, just a nice local spot, many locals go there for the comfortable atmosphere, and the good food, isn't that why we go out, it is still a place to spend a bit of quality time.

Santa Rosa, California
“Bar service at it's best”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

We arrived at 6:30 and told there was a 45 min wait unless we sat at the bar. I am glad we did. We had very good service, I do not know how these bartenders pour drinks for the house and serve food to their customers. One task is enough to handle yet we were never forgotten and our food arrived in a very timely manner. I loved the fact that they had wine flights. Try the reds they are superb.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Restaurant keeps an unpublished schedule”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012 via mobile

My boyfriend and I went to Pranzo two nights ago to celebrate his birthday. When we walked in, we had to wait more than five minutes for a hostess to appear, during which time other restaurant staff failed to acknowledge us. Pranzo closes for dinner at 9 p.m. By the time the dour, pinch-faced hostess Jenny finished telling us the restaurant was closed except for salads and pizza, we may have stayed for salads, but her avalanche of eye rolling, crossed arms, and terse phrases uttered between clenched teeth drove us away.
Later, at home, I called the restaurant manager, Gray. My boyfriend and I love Pranzo, and this last experience was a deal breaker for us; however, being in hospitality, I had to find out if I could depend on Pranzo to maintain its business hours. I can't recommend Pranzo to guests only to have an irate group return to tell me they couldn't have pasta at I restaurant I gold stamped. (They did want Italian after all!)
So Gray told me that, no, I could not depend on Pranzo to stay open until during the establishment's later hours, which vary, and to call ahead to be sure the place is open.
No thanks. Pranzo needs new management that knows how to be hospitable.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque, NM
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012

Service was extremely poor, inattentive and non-caring. The waitress informed us that one wait staff member had left and she was working a double. The hostess said that this wasn't true and they were just busy.
We both ordered the filet. It was Inedible and we returned it. It was originally sent to another table. And then it came without the cheese that was on the menu.
We received the dessert menu and waited for about 20 minutes for the waitress to reappear and take our order. Since this did not happen, we left without desert.
We have been here before, but if this was our first trip, we wouldn't return. We informed the hostess of this and she said we were the only ones who had complained. I find this difficult to believe.

• Visited September 2012