“Thanksgiving Dinner in Santa Fe” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Dinner For Two is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #44 of 472 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Good for: Romance, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: W San Francisco St.
Transit: Dinner for Two is four blocks from the train station; And on the walking path to the Plaza along Guadalupe and San Fransisco Streets.
Description: Dinner for Two is a family owned restaurant that has a comfortable, intimate atmosphere for parties large or small. Our local 'regulars' call us "a great value in fine dining". Multi-award winning: including Wine Spectator and "top 10 in southwest" We are happy to host dinners for organizations, or private celebrations from 2 to 60, everything is made in-house so special diets are easily accommodated: allergies, gluten free, etc. "Excellent Food and Service at a Reasonable Price"
Naperville, Illinois
“Thanksgiving Dinner in Santa Fe”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2011

I had Thanksgiving dinner here in 2010. What a great meal. Choice of Turkey, Ham, Salmon or Turducken (which is what I picked) served along with a sample of all the side dishes: Scalloped Potatoes, Caramelized Onion Mashed Potatoes, Italian Herb Stuffing, Fruit Almond Stuffing, Asparagus and Cranberry, Orange, Pomegranate Compote (as well as their House-Made Bread). Dessert choices were Pumpkin Pie, Apple Cobbler, Cinnamon Raisin Bread and Butter Pudding and Rum (my pick!) and Dark Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Glaze. All this and seconds (and thirds...) were available on everything. Just $36 (alcohol was extra). I plan to try them out for their regular service this coming summer and I already know where I'm having Thanksgiving Dinner in 2011!

Keith

• Visited November 2010
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Not long for this world.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

I first came to SF 30 years ago when this place was a hippy hang out that served great food all day and all night and after dining here just after x-mas, I can only hope we see those days again and soon. Anyplace would be better that this.
It started at the door when they could''t find the 7PM reservation my wife and I booked on Open Table but the place was so empty, they were able to find us a seat no problem. Every other place in town was packed to the rafters.
The first question I asked was if they had a bar and the answer was no.
Here's a quick education, a restaurant that only serves wine is nothing more than a bistro, not a full service restaurant. A full service restaurant is one that serves wine, beer, mixed drinks and after dinner liabations, anything you want or can afford. Be warned, DF2 is not a full service restaurant.
I have dined all over the world, LA, Miami, NY, London, Rome, Amsterdam, Paris, Nice Florence, Venice, Portofino, Naples, Positanoto, Amalfi Coast and on and on and many of these had been rated with Michelin stars and ALL of them serve drinks.
We have even had the pleasure of a dinner prepared personally by Guy Savoy in LV where we shared a bottle of Dom with him prior to our 11 course tasting. He noticed I was a scotch drinker and had our waiter bring out a glass of his own personal 20 year old single malt for me to try. This dinner was well over $500.00 PP and worth every penny. I don't care how much a meal costs as long as it is good and you can get what you want to accompany it. You cannot get that at DF2. My wife even commented that you can get a drink or your choice at an Olive Garden but not at DF2.
Now down to the food. I ordered a crab bisque soup and my wife a salad. My soup was devoid of any crab. I had better soup at the warming hut at the ski area earlier in the day. My wifes salad was fine after she picked a few discolored leafs off of it.
I knew we were in deep trouble when the group of three seated next to us got their meals and all three were for some reason sitting on a huge pile of mashed potato's and their entrees were just drowning in a reduction glaze. The only time a meal needs to be smothered with anything is when it can't stand on its own merits. I had ordered the lamb and the slathering was extra on mine so I felt I was safe but NO!.
My meal came with my two little lamb chops sitting on the huge pile of instant mashed potato's and the whole mess was just drenched in the glaze as was my wifes steak. If we had wanted our meals drowning in a reduction glaze, we would have ordered them like that. And what is up with the mashed potatos? If I had ordered the Tiger special, it would have come out with 3 golf balls of differing colors on a huge bed of mashed potatos smothered in a red glaze. It didn't matter what you ordered, you were getting it on a bed of instant taters and it was going to be slathered!
But we politely just scrapped off what we could and ate our meals, paid and left but only after a quip from our waitress about me not liking wine and wanting to hurry up and get a scotch. I didn't want to get into the fact that I collect Rothschilds wines and I prefer my wine prior to dinner and I prefer scotch with my dinner and an after dinner drink when I am done with dinner. The last time I checked this was America and you could drink what you want, when you want and get your dinner prepared the way you want it and enjoy it at your leisure, but just not a DF2.
The food is mediocre at best and thats after you get it cleaned off. You are better off going to any of the other full service restaurants in SF and if you can't get in, try a chain restaurant, you will be much happier for it.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Atlanta, Georgia
“Good food, but nonchalant service kept it from being special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

I wanted to take my wife someplace special for our ten year anniversary, so I booked through open table and noted the anniversary. When we walked in to the cozy place, a delicious aroma greeted us and the hostess wished us a happy anniversary and led us to an intimate table. I thought that I had hit the bullseye with this place. Unfortunately, our server could not deliver on what started out so promising. After a brief into to the salads, she disappeared for 15 minutes. Didnt even take our drink orders. She didn't take the time to really explain the menu and was generally inattentive. The food was good - not spectacular - and the ambiance was great, however, it didn't really matter by then as the nonchalant service had killed off any special feeling that we had about the place. The final blow came at the end when the ceiling sprung a leak right above me, getting my shirt and hair wet. When i told the wait staff, the best they could muster was a comment about the problems with flat roofs - nobody offered a towel or expressed any concern that this happened. They threw us a bag of free cookies on the way out, almost as an after thought, but again, it was too late.
I do believe that with a different server, the experience would rate a 4 or 5, but with our server, it barely rates a 3. I really hope this is not the best Santa Fe has to offer after all the hype about the dining scenes here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Tucson, Arizona
“A sure hit...just sit back and enjoy the ride”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2010

This was my splurge meal for the visit and was surprised at the value - not cheap, but well worth what you get. Service was pretty good, seems like they might need a bit more training on the menu. Food was near flawless in its preparation.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Lawrence, Kansas
“Excellent food, very pleasant environment”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

We had noticed Dinner for Two on a previous trip to Santa Fe, but didn't know anything about it, so we skipped it. Thanks to the Tripadvisor review, we tried it the night before Thanksgiving. We were seated in what I think is a porch area, relatively dark with lots of strings of tiny white lights. It was pleasantly warm, quiet, and quite romantic. The food was wonderful, imaginative, and in appropriate portions. I don't usually like mashed potatoes, but ate all of mine, with an excellent duck dish. We thought about purchasing a quart of the corn and crab soup to take home, because it was so wonderful. There was a tuna and calamari appetizer that was spectacular. The server was attentive but not intrusive and answered all our questions graciously. We were delighted to have been steered to this wonderful and reasonably priced place. The desk clerk at our hotel said he has take dates there.

• 5 of 5 stars Food