“Nice, Quaint and good food” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Dessert
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Between E. Alameda & Palace Ave
Description: Fresh authentic Mexican cuisine. Gluten free items available.
Nash, Oklahoma
“Nice, Quaint and good food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Stopped in for lunch and order fajitas. They were excellent. the servcie was great and it was a nice, peaceful place for lunch. Parking by the restaurant is limited but usually you can find a spot. We enjoyed our meal very much.

• Visited August 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Austin, Texas
“Great food, off the beaten path.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

We arrived at the end of a strip center to find a completely empty dining room. Despite our worries, all our meals were excellent and the dining room filled quickly. Great mole!

Visited July 2011
Naperville, Illinois
“Continues to my personal favorite in Santa Fe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

I first ate here in November, 2011 and posted a review on January 8, 2011. I loved it so much that it was the only place that I had planned to eat at twice during my recent July/August trip to New Mexico. Which I did - once to try something new and once to repeat my great meal from last year.

For Thursday, July 28, I had reservations for 6pm and seems like it was a good thing! The restaurant nearly filled up about 15 minutes after I was seated…at my primo window seat…okay, it overlooks the parking lot, but still. The service was excellent, responsive and friendly even though there were a lot of patrons this early evening. I ordered one of the night's specials, Chicken Carnitas. Don't ask me what was in it, but I want it again!!! (I know there was chicken…duh…and lots of other goodness…they also let me substitute grilled veggies for the rice which were great. Also came with a side of black beans which I prefer to pinto beans, and these were phenomenal black beans.) This special should be on their regular menu! For dessert I had Flan de Almendras, a "traditional Mexican flan with almond flavoring, topped with caramel sauce". (Yes, I copied that from the menu.) Loved it! So light and "flanny". And coffee. The only slight negative…it was served lukewarm…but when I brought it to their attention, immediately rectified…so not really a negative at all.

Then on Wednesday, August 3, with 6pm reservations again, I repeated the meal (with the addition of a beer) that I had my first time here last November: Agave Wine Margarita, Pollo Relleno con Salsa de Crema aka “The Chicken Bomb”, Negra Modelo Beer, Margarita Ice Cream Pie and Coffee. Just as excellent as I remembered. I’ll be having this meal again. In fact I made reservations for when I’ll be here in October with two friends!

A couple notes in response to some previous critiques. At least one review criticized them for not having some traditional New Mexican elements, such as sopapaillas. Not really a fair critique given that they are a MEXICAN restaurant that uses a few New Mexican items but they are NOT a NEW Mexican restaurant.

Others have critiqued the atmosphere. Well it depends on what you're looking for. Actually, their atmosphere is one of my favorites in Santa Fe (except for the parking lot view). People like different things. This is a nicer casual place that's clean and simple with attractive paintings hung on the wall. The tables are tiled and not covered with tablecloths. I LIKE it. It just depends on what you're looking for. This is not a high end restaurant nor does it pretend to be.

Keith

• Visited July 2011
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Annandale, Virginia
“Good food. No aymosphere”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011 via mobile

Excellent Mexican food in a drab room. Great value. Next door to inn on alameda.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
st louis
“Good food --Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

The food here is very good and fresh.We walked from the Inn on the Alameda, which was located next door. Try the margarita pie. My husband had The Bomb which he said was very good. We would eat here again.

• Visited August 2011