“Could have been excellent” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ristra

Ristra
548 Agua Fria St, Santa Fe, NM 87501-2508 (Historic District)
505-982-8608
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Ristra is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #172 of 472 Restaurants in Santa Fe
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Historic District
Cross street: Guadalupe/St. Francis
Atlanta, Georgia
“Could have been excellent”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

We chose this restaurant based on reviews and ads citing laudatory remarks by Zagat, Wine Spectator and others. Our food and wine were great but the concept of group service led to too many hands in the pie so to speak. Also we requested a romantic setting and it could have been except for a 25 person birthday in the adjoining space which created an impossible decibile level.
The food, scallops topped with quinoa, the beet onion orange and olive salad was tasty as was the carrot ginger soup. For main course we had the pacific sea bass grilled and served atop artichoke puree and accompanied by roasted fingerling potatos and a tomato roast. Dessert was honey ice cream atop fresh berries in a lemon flavored tuile. Our wine was Pouilly Fuisse served ice cold which opened with a flavorful nose for all to enjoy. I would come back but would request seating away from large parties.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Santa Fe
“Has Definitely Gone Downhill”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

We used to love Ristra and have been there many dozens of times over the past 12 years, but his past weekend was a huge disappointment. I ordered the fillet mignon which was tough, overcooked and full of gristle. My friend had the elk tenderloin special which was so tough that he had trouble chewing it. The third person in our party had the duck breast and enjoyed it. There was nothing creative about the meal, appetizers and salads were so-so and the desserts were miniscule. What a shame. One used to be able to count on this restaurant, but not anymore.

• Visited October 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Oklahoma City
“Consistent so far....”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

After visiting Santa Fe for over 25 years, Ristra has recently become one of our favorites. Last Sunday evening (Sept. 30th), we visited Ristra for a second time and were fortunate enough to be seated outside on the lighted patio. The weather was perfect, the food was great as usual (elk tenderloin & filet were excellent, as was dessert, etc...the honey ice cream is awesome!), the patio quiet and romantic (great for us since it was our anniversary) and it was nice that we actually were remembered by some of the wait staff from our first visit. It was nice to come back and actually see old friends and make new ones there. Thanks for another wonderful evening!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Loveland, Colorado
“Lack of Consideration Soured The Meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

Ristra had been one of my favorite restaurants. Altho pricey, the food and service always has been excellent, and memorable. Recently my wife and I asked six friends to join us for our third visit. Most of us enjoyed the exquisitely prepared entrees. All was fine, until we started getting our bills back. Altho we asked for separate checks, each of us was imposed to pay an 18% tip, which meant literally a few dollars more, and I mean a few dollars, for some of us. My understanding for the need of an 18% tip for parties of 6 or more is when there is a combined total bill, and that the person paying tips sufficiently, as when there are this many people, the tip ends up being quite a lot, and not everyone is comfortable tipping that much. When I addressed this with the Manager, he stonewalled me with policy, and couldn't have cared less. Upon my recommendation, 6 friends joined my wife and I for dinner. We spent hundreds of dollars on our meals, and for a few dollars, this restaurant made us feel uncomfortable, not fully welcome, and like tourists. For a restaurant of this quality to have acted this way is disconcerting and unacceptable. I would suggest for those who read this to chose another restaurant that appreciates your business and treats you in a way you would want to be treated.

• Visited September 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
“Good food, lacks ambiance”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We visited on a Tuesday night in September, so it was not overly busy or crowded. If this small house turned restaurant was full, the noise level could be an issue. There is also a lovely patio for al fresco dining. My husband chose the special of elk medallions (med. rare, as recommended). The dish came with a section of poached pear and a sweet potato puree. He does not usually eat sweet potato, so I was a bit surprised when his plate was practically polished clean. I chose a filet cooked medium. It arrived cooked medium well atop the ubiquitous "haricot vertes" and delicious lumpy mashed potatoes. Finding lumps let's me know they are REAL potatoes and not my mother's boxed, instant potatoes. Despite being overcooked, the filet was juicy, tasty and well-trimmed. We perused the dessert menu, but found nothing to entice us. We left feeling satisfied, but slightly underwhelmed. I'd like to add, though that I first tried to make a reservation at Ristra's nearby sister restaurant, Azur, but failed. Not because they were busy or closed that day, but because the online reservation would not go through and when I called and left a message, never received a confirming call back. At least someone answered the phone at Ristra.

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Been to Ristra? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Ristra, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.