“Mexican, not New Mexican or Southwestern food” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner
Santa Fe, New Mexico
“Mexican, not New Mexican or Southwestern food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

Adelita's is very popular with the Mexican immigrant community in Santa Fe. The food is not authentic New Mexican food. It's menudo (tripe) and cow lips and tough thin steaks, foods cooked in heavy grease, and a dearth of vegetables. Some of their seafood dishes are okay but, remember, Santa Fe is almost 1000 miles from any ocean, and 7000 feet above sea level. They do make a nod to the locals with the attempt at red and green chile (a good chile is NOT thickened with flour) and with sides of soggy rice and fatty beans. There are a lot of restaurants in Santa Fe that serve excellent local Hispanic/Native American (New Mexican) food, Tex-Mex, gourmet Mexican, Latin American, Spanish, and/or Southwest fusion. This is not one of them.
And yes, service is slow and cleanliness is marginal.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Wellington, Colorado
“Average Mexican”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

The atmosphere is lacking and the table was sticky. The waitresses were nice and the service was fast. The smoothered burrito and the cheese enchiladas were good but nothing outstanding. The Flan was the worst I've ever eaten. It was made as a pie and it might have sat there for a few days. It was actually a tough texture and I can't describe it. I've never seen or tasted anything like it. We decided to eat here because it was close to the motel. We could have had a better meal at Taco Bell. Of course, I have to say this, after having eaten at Orlando's in Taos, Adelita's was really good!!!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Albuquerque
“Very Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Attractive but simple decor, easy access and parking, cordial staff, great food. This is the first Mexican Restaurant I've found in this part of the country with real shredded beef in tacos and not fust seasoned hamburger. For more adventurous eaters, there were also available cow lips, tongue and tripe. Seafood dishes sounded good, but you can't try everything... hopefully, next time.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Los Alamos, New Mexico
“My first experience with "New Mexican" Food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We just moved to New Mexico with great expectations of wonderful food. I spent my youth in California and love the Mexican food I had growing up. I spent several decades in South Dakota dreaming of the day I would once again have some amazing Mexican food. We chose this restaurant because the parking lot was pretty full - thinking this was a good indicator of good food. We went inside and found that there was one large dinner party (almost finished with their meal) and very few other tables full.

The service was very slow and not friendly- we felt very unwelcomed. The dinner party was no longer in need of service so we expected some sort of attention.

Then came the question "red or green chili" it was at this time that I learned that a good portion of the New Mexican food is covered in this stuff. I asked for red and what I got was a sauce that tasted like I licked a metal can with hot sauce. No other flavor. I didn't finish my meal. My husband thought he ate better Mexican food in South Dakota - where we came from. Please folks to be bested by South Dakota Mexican food? You can do better than that!

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Enjoyed Our Food - Waitress was Super!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

A lot of mixed reviews on this restaurant but we thought we would try it. The food was wonderful and our waitress was the best. She was very helpful and informative about the area - the food - always smiling and truly a pleasure to deal with. I had ordered the Steak Ranchero and it had so much flavor - the steak was so tender - their sauces and the salsa was excellent. I have nothing but good things to say about this restaurant and would highly recommend stopping here for great food.

• Visited March 2013